Harbison Transfer?

Looking at the roster, we have a bunch of walk ons with decent to good size, but I haven't heard about any of them standing out. Going in to next year we have:
Isaac Fruchete at 6'3 204 most experienced returner at the position
Donovahn Jones at 6'3 190 who is undoubtedly are best chance for a playmaker at WR
Drew Wolitarsky at 6'3 220 who was more consistent than Jones but doesn't appear very fast or quick for the position
KJ Maye 5'10 (allegedly) 197 who seems to not be quick/fast enough to overcome his size to this point
Logan Hutton 6'1 181 hopefully he's the surprise contributor? Made some big plays on punt coverage
Cameron Wilson 6'3 215 I don't hold out much hope for a RS Senior who wasn't played a snap on offense to my knowledge
Devon Wright 6'0 196 similar to Wilson, but have no idea how the position switch has worked for him.

Obviously this group is in need of some immediate help. It doesn't seem like that long ago that a McDonald/Harbison receiving duo looked pretty good on paper for 2014.

Andre McDonald is still on the roster.

Why haven't we looked at bringing in any JUCO WRs? Seems like it would make a lot of sense with most of our contributors being freshman and sophomores. And the fact we don't have a WR in this class yet.

Supposedly it's a thin JUCO WR class this year.

He has not had much to work with. I watched him do a drill with the WRs his first spring here where they go out turn one direction and then have to turn back the other direction to catch the ball. Nobody could do it? I was amazed, but we have seen the same thing in games. The walk-ons had more talent than the scholarship guys they inherited. Our WRs have a hard time adjusting to the ball. Not having McDonald or Harbison work out is a big loss, since they should both have had enough experience to contribute last season. There has not been a B1G quality WR on the team since they have been here other than McKnight the first year. DCT also turned out to be a lot bigger loss this year than I hoped he would have been good this year at least on deeper routes.

We have this discussion every year, and every year someone steps up (always). Now, I agree this position is snakebit with injuries. However, injuries aside Jones will be a superstar, Wolitarsky will become a steady force, and we haven't heard from Eric Carter yet. Along with our stable of TEs, we will be fine. Let's review in October.

Did Iowa fire their RB coach after their long string of injuries? Last year everyone was freaking out about the center position. This year it's wide receiver. Harbison didn't feel the need to follow the rules and there was a mutual parting of ways.

Who was freaking out about center? I don't recall that. I do remember a couple threads about WR last year and those now appear to have been spot on.

With all the attrition at the WR position, I checked to see if the Gophers have any offers out for and JC players at that position. I found only one: Mike Thomas at Dodge City CC. He is going to Southern Miss.

:(Jamel would correspond with my young daughter on facebook a lot (She is a huge gopher fan). He was incredibly nice and supportive of her. She referred to him as her big brother. When she found out last night, she started bawling. I wish he would have stayed because I think he has potential. I wonder if it is grade related considering the timing of this move. I wish him the best.

We have this discussion every year, and every year someone steps up (always). Now, I agree this position is snakebit with injuries. However, injuries aside Jones will be a superstar, Wolitarsky will become a steady force, and we haven't heard from Eric Carter yet. Along with our stable of TEs, we will be fine. Let's review in October.

Every year someone catches passes because by nature someone has to but that is very different then having capable players that are actually weapons out there.

Our receiving stats, especially from the WR position were pathetic last season. People talk about Engel like he was a weapon but the fact of the matter he was just the best of a really average bunch of players. I don't understand how anyone can look at our WR core and not see it as a major black hole on our roster right now. We are putting a ton of faith in Jones and Wolitarsky to be the answers and based on what we saw this year I am not convinced either is a lock. Jones has a ton of athletic ability but it takes more than just being a great athlete to be a great WR.

Surreal.

i'm on today two of bawling. I kills me to see her so sad. I read their conversation when he transferred and I cried because I could hear her heart breaking. he is a class act, he is a great kid, but I think grade were an issue. On a side note, I can't believe how many times he was completely open and our qd's weren' even looking his way.

I was watching BTN after the Gopher Hoops game and it stated that Harbison was transferring to D-2 Mars Hill (North Carolina).

... he is a class act, he is a great kid, but I think grade were an issue. On a side note, I can't believe how many times he was completely open and our qd's weren' even looking his way.

Not sure what the issue was but I spoke with him a couple of times - once when he called to thank me for my donation to the G.G. Fund - You always get a call from an athlete but this was the first time I had gotten a call from a football player and it happened to be Jamal. - We chatted for awhile and I was very impressed. After one fall practice he happened to walk by me and I introduced myself and we chatted again. Smart, personable and a class act.

Sometimes it just takes kids awhile to grow up. I was kicked out of college for grades, worked for a semester and then came back and got straight A's - I just grew up and became responsible.

I wish all the best for Jamal and I hope his experience will be like mine.

Every year someone catches passes because by nature someone has to but that is very different then having capable players that are actually weapons out there.

Our receiving stats, especially from the WR position were pathetic last season. People talk about Engel like he was a weapon but the fact of the matter he was just the best of a really average bunch of players. I don't understand how anyone can look at our WR core and not see it as a major black hole on our roster right now. We are putting a ton of faith in Jones and Wolitarsky to be the answers and based on what we saw this year I am not convinced either is a lock. Jones has a ton of athletic ability but it takes more than just being a great athlete to be a great WR.
k

Engel avg 20 yard per catch is in his career and his value showed with 13 quarters without a TD ! None of his catches were easy and he was open consistently. His Qb's were last in the big ten in accuracy - remember the four game win streak he had 5 TD catch's and was making big plays. If the Qb's hit him in stride he could have huge stats and the gophers had the least pass attempts in the big ten, it doesn't work in the big ten to run your Qb's to death. Wake up Harbison caught zero passes and was not a factor!

it doesn't work in the big ten to run your Qb's to death

Ohio St., 2012: 8-0 Big Ten conference record
Braxton Miller, QB: 227 carries, 1,271 yards, 13 TDs

Ohio St., 2013: 8-0 Big Ten conference record
Braxton Miller, QB: 171 carries, 1,068 yards, 12 TDs

Top Bottom