Hageman to DE

Our group of DEs is experienced, talented, and deep. We also have a number of young, highly-rated recruits who are ready to step in should the starters falter.

Minnesota has a storied tradition of producing DEs who dominate in the NFL.

Not only is all of that true, but Brewster and his staff have shown an innate ability to recruit a plethora of highly-rated, highly-sought after DEs and bring them to Minnesota.

The only requirement necessary to play an athlete in a receiver position is that he is explosive with the ball in his hands. It does not matter whether he can catch, run routes, or block. Explosiveness is the only thing necessary.

Therefore, Hageman must play TE.
That's all fine and well, I'm just objecting to the "one of the best defenses in the country."

I mean, if by "one of" you're including like 20-30 other teams then sure, but this is the same team that finished the season by giving up 55 to Iowa and 42 to Kansas right?

But Peppers redshirted, and likely benefited from coaching and strength&conditioning before he hit the field.

TE is the more immediate impact on this team for this year, which we may not need. DE is the better long term impact and value.

I just prefer to see Hageman used as a TE, and have another big nasty show up for DE.

If he redshirts for some reason, then he may provide more immediate impact at DE next year.

That's all fine and well, I'm just objecting to the "one of the best defenses in the country."

I mean, if by "one of" you're including like 20-30 other teams then sure, but this is the same team that finished the season by giving up 55 to Iowa and 42 to Kansas right?

He's being over the top sarcastic.

I'm sure it wasn't hard to sell Hageman on playin DE.

1. Immediate playing time
2. More valued in the NFL Draft (see: Mario Williams, Gaines Adams, Chris Long)
3. Higher paid NFL position (see: Julius Peppers, Jared Allen, Dwight Freeney)

I'm highly in favor of this move.

I'm sure it wasn't hard to sell Hageman on playin DE.

1. Immediate playing time
2. More valued in the NFL Draft (see: Mario Williams, Gaines Adams, Chris Long)
3. Higher paid NFL position (see: Julius Peppers, Jared Allen, Dwight Freeney)

I'm highly in favor of this move.

While there is this, it's also just as likely the case that Hageman would have had better NFL value as a tight end because there are less athletes at that position. In other words, sure you get lots of money and high draft status if you're an absolute freak of nature like Mario Williams, but if everyone put their best athletes at DE that's actually going to make it harder to get drafted at the position due to a surplus of talent.

I'm not for or against the move because I'm not a coach and I don't claim to know what's best for Hageman, but as someone that follows the draft, athletic tight ends that can run, block, and catch make a lot of money too. Vernon Davis wasn't even a very good college tight end and he was the 6th pick in the draft.

He is explosive with the ball in his hands. Therefore, he should be a TE.

There is no reason to improve our defense. It is already among the best in the nation.

You are officially the worst poster in the history of Gopherhole. Bring back Wren and Loon any day.

The only requirement necessary to play an athlete in a receiver position is that he is explosive with the ball in his hands. It does not matter whether he can catch, run routes, or block. Explosiveness is the only thing necessary.

Therefore, Hageman must play TE.

Huh. Must be just like how the only requirement necessary to play an athlete in a cornerback position is that he is fast and we are thin at that positon. It does not matter whether he can cover, play the ball, has flexible hips, or tackling ability.

Therefore, Stoudemire must play CB.

I read earlier that he came in bigger than 235 and extremely strong. Everything I've heard is; that he's worked extremely hard to play immediately. I think that Rashede looked around and saw a bit of a log jam at TE this year. Knowing that the situation could limit his playing time or possibly cause him to be redshirted, he looked around. The defensive line was coming along but, there was a need for an extra pass rusher. Being a smart kid, he knew that if he could fill a situational role on defense, it would lower his chances of being redshirted. I believe that it's as simple as that; a kid wanting to play this year and volunteering to fill a need.

Perhaps someday, but today, he's 6'6" and 235, hardly bone crushing size as a DE or TE.

Not sure the exact amount but I believe he is at about 265 right now? Maybe someone else can verify, I may be wrong, but I remember a post where everyone couldn't believe how big he was.

EDIT: sorry didn't read the two posts before me

I'm not for or against the move because I'm not a coach and I don't claim to know what's best for Hageman, but as someone that follows the draft, athletic tight ends that can run, block, and catch make a lot of money too. Vernon Davis wasn't even a very good college tight end and he was the 6th pick in the draft.

Does that really describe Hageman? Hageman is kind of slow for a TE.

280, not 235

Most accounts from the team have Ra'Shede weighing in at right around 280 these days. Not sure why they have him listed at 235.

Does that really describe Hageman? Hageman is kind of slow for a TE.

there you go. In the Under Armour game Hageman looked like he was running in sand. Granted the everyone on the field was a big time recruit but he still looked slow and not as quick twitch or athletic as he did on film. He has the size to play DE so lets give him a shot there

Hagemen played DE in high school

He look's a lot bigger than 235. If he is the one that wanted a shot at DE
and think's that is his best way on the field then more power to him.
Hopefully coach cross can teach him some inside spin and swim moves to use his arms
to stuff a lot of QB's.

I gotta take it for what it is....the coaches and him are just seeing what he has to offer at the position. I'm not gonna read too much into it beyond that. Maybe they will try KGM at TE or maybe Rengel is gonna take a stab at it?

...I dunno...I'm not at practice everyday, or in coaches meetings to know how they plan to use players. I gotta think that being the coach of a Big Ten football team you are VERY aware of what your next years squad is gonna look like so you know who and what position you need to recruit.

with that being said....I think a JC DE and DT are needed in this years class. just gonna be too much for the rFr and Fr to handle right away....Garin, KGM, Searcy, Willis. Gonna need one at each position to fill the gap.

oh....I like Hageman at DE vs TE btw.

You are officially the worst poster in the history of Gopherhole. Bring back Wren and Loon any day.

Hey, tough guy, I'm still waiting on this staggeringly exhaustive list of "the number of places people are wrong" from the Stoudermire thread. Do you still care to put your money where your big mouth is?

there you go. In the Under Armour game Hageman looked like he was running in sand. Granted the everyone on the field was a big time recruit but he still looked slow and not as quick twitch or athletic as he did on film. He has the size to play DE so lets give him a shot there

When compared to what, 4.4 40 receivers and dbacks.

What's his 40 time and how quick is he in the five yard range. That determines how effective on the defensive line he will be. You can run a 4.7/4.8 40 and be as quick as someone in the 4.4 range.

When compared to what, 4.4 40 receivers and dbacks.

What's his 40 time and how quick is he in the five yard range. That determines how effective on the defensive line he will be. You can run a 4.7/4.8 40 and be as quick as someone in the 4.4 range.

True, but Hageman looked very very slow. While that was in comparison to top line athletes his age, he didn't look like he had the speed to really threaten the deep middle of the field. I thought that even from seeing his film last year. What I also noticed is that for a big guy his strides are very short and he looked a bit stiff so maybe if the coaches can get h im a bit more flexible he'll get a bit faster.

Hey, tough guy, I'm still waiting on this staggeringly exhaustive list of "the number of places people are wrong" from the Stoudermire thread. Do you still care to put your money where your big mouth is?

I don't care about any list in that other thread, we are in this thread. And in this thread, all you do is talk talk talk. You are still a terrible poster btw.

all of you are terrible posters, BECAUSE YOU RUIN ALMOST EVERY THREAD WITH THIS NONSENSE BICKERING. come here to talk gophers and nothing else. Thanks and Go Gophas!

I don't care about any list in that other thread, we are in this thread. And in this thread, all you do is talk talk talk. You are still a terrible poster btw.

Derp dee der. Talking on an internet message board? What else am I supposed to do? Send up flags? Sign language? Braille? Sorry, I don't think any of that will work well with a keyboard and an internet message board.

And, just like I thought...your fat mouth writing checks it can't cash. Like I've said before, I've forgotten more about football than you'll ever know, greek poser wannabe.

Derp dee der. Talking on an internet message board? What else am I supposed to do? Send up flags? Sign language? Braille? Sorry, I don't think any of that will work well with a keyboard and an internet message board.

And, just like I thought...your fat mouth writing checks it can't cash. Like I've said before, I've forgotten more about football than you'll ever know, greek poser wannabe.

When your co-workers ask you why you are in a bad mood, is your answer ever: "Somebody verbally abused me on an internet message board"?

Top Bottom