Hageman to DE

Bayfieldgopher

Reaction score
Kent has reported that the position change will continue. It appears Brewster is not satisfied with the DE spot as I thought I read where Moen also got some PT there. Jacobs has always impressed me as a DT rather than DE. Henderson isn't the answer either. Has anyone heard how long Onawachie will be on the shelf.

I hope DE is the best place to use Hageman's talents and he settles in a position rather moving around.

http://www.startribune.com/blogs/54535362.html?elr=KArks47cQiU47cQiU47cQULPQL7PQLanchO7DiU

Hageman at DE!

Did he ever play DE at Minneapolis Washburn?
Seems Brewster should have made this move right away!

Go Gophers!!

Did he ever play DE at Minneapolis Washburn?
Seems Brewster should have made this move right away!

Go Gophers!!

It's 2 weeks into his collegiate career. I'd say that counts as "right away". It's not like he's giving him the Alex Daniels treatment.

Wasn't there talk during his recruitment that alot of teams wanted him as a DE, but he wanted to play TE? Hopefully he stays happy with whatever turns out.

I was really looking forward to his mack truck framing running linebackers over. Maybe I'm just a fan of watching the tight end position. I dunno.

Maybe he'll play both. Both positions are ones that tend to rotate multiple players, and there are non TE sets in almost every offense. Just a thought.

I can certainly live with him running over running backs and quarterbacks if that is where he is at his best and helps the team the most.

I'm happy about this. I think his frame is better suited for DE and he could be a real beast -- not that he wouldn't have excelled at TE, either. I just liked what he offered to the DE position better, and this is a huge need always and next year. We lose McKinley, Onwuachi and Henderson and there is not a lot to step up with -- I like this move.

They have to use him on goal-line and jump ball sets on O

That big and strong on the goal line, it's like throw it up and go get it big man. I hope
they play him on both sides if he can do it.

I'll settle

I was really looking forward to his mack truck framing running linebackers over. Maybe I'm just a fan of watching the tight end position. I dunno.

I was really looking forward to seeing Hageman run in the open field as TE and just light up some D-Back like a Christmas tree.

I'll settle for seeing him play DE, but still think his best potential is at TE with 'Quis in 2 years.

a dominant DE is infinitely more valuable than a dominant TE. And it's not even close.

Great move, and great team attitude for him to make the move...although it's not a tough sell when you see who makes more and gets drafted earlier in the NFL.

We've got some depth at TE this year. A DE with his size and athleticism would be a fantastic find if it works out.

Early playing time

Think about it for a minute. With Tow-Arnett firmly the starter, and Lair a back up (possibly a good one) and a big hole in DE, it is logical to put a big, athletic freshman there to see if he can help the team this year. Keep him engaged with situational TE work, like goal line and give him a chance to play this year at DE, at least in spot duty for some depth on the D-line. There is no reason to think he can't be the starting TE next year and spend spring practice back at TE. Not a hard position to learn.

Brewster has been quoted as saying while He will play more minutes at DE, he will still be used in short-yardage, goal line, and a "few plays each game" at TE. I think I heard this on WCCO, sorry no link. But wherever he plays one thing is certain: He will be crushing people.

It reminds me of the quote i think I heard from sir sidney. the great running back recruit gets off the bus for his first year at USC and is greeted by two coaches. The running back position coach that recruited him and another he didn't know. after the initial greeting the coach says to the kid, I've got good news and bad news. First off the coaching staff thinks you'll be an all-american someday. However, I'd like to introduce you to our linebacker coach...

a dominant DE is infinitely more valuable than a dominant TE. And it's not even close.

Thirded. If he can turn into a DE with production similar to what WVDS gave us, he would have to be putting up very impressive numbers as a TE to justify not playing him at DE. That being said, he seems to have the physical tools and athleticism to be a very, very good DE.

He is explosive with the ball in his hands. Therefore, he should be a TE.

There is no reason to improve our defense. It is already among the best in the nation.

next up?

so then...

do you think we see rengel moved over to TE once he's healthy? maybe even a walk on like ngekia (big frame, a little bit slower) mixed in? We have decent depth with Lair but McGarry doesnt really do anything for me. actually, it seems we have better depth at DE than TE...with wilhite, combs, garin, KGM, jacobs (though I agree he could be a beast at DT).

I think brewster really wants a big, clogging D-Line (hasnt moen pretty much always been a DT?), which will help to complement his moves to put the smaller, faster linebackers behind them. I like the move as long as we can get some resemblance of a pass rush mixed with some timely blitzes.

Either way it sure is nice to have him Hageman. Brew was high on Jacobs last spring, he doesn't seem so much now. hmmm

Rengel is intriguing, before his leg injury he was fast. I'm hoping he comes back as quick.

so then...
actually, it seems we have better depth at DE than TE...with wilhite, combs, garin, KGM, jacobs (though I agree he could be a beast at DT).

I don't think that is a ton of depth. Garin and KGM haven't seen a single snap in college -- neither has Hageman. I believe Wilhite and Combs played very sparingly on the line. I'm a bit worried for the DE position next year -- the idea of Hageman as a sophomore there with experience under his belt makes me a lot more confident.

I don't think we have a ton of depth at TE, either. I feel like good DE's are one of the most difficult positions to recruit (and draft at the NFL level, too). To echo what many are saying here -- Rashede is a talented individual who can be a great player at either TE or DE -- I think the impact he can have on a game is magnitudes greater at DE than at TE.

Woah.....back up the homer truck.

Our group of DEs is experienced, talented, and deep. We also have a number of young, highly-rated recruits who are ready to step in should the starters falter.

Minnesota has a storied tradition of producing DEs who dominate in the NFL.

Not only is all of that true, but Brewster and his staff have shown an innate ability to recruit a plethora of highly-rated, highly-sought after DEs and bring them to Minnesota.

The only requirement necessary to play an athlete in a receiver position is that he is explosive with the ball in his hands. It does not matter whether he can catch, run routes, or block. Explosiveness is the only thing necessary.

Therefore, Hageman must play TE.

Get your best athletes on the field. Somewhere. But not always on offense like the previous coach.

This say's a lot about Onuwachi's injury

If Moen is playing end and Hagemen has been moved to end and is already getting snaps
with the 1's this say's a lot about the DE position depth for the Gophers or lack there of. Big and strong is one thing, even being fast and a good athlete is another.

Takes a little more then that, the best one's have all of the elite athleticism with good football instincts, adept at hand fighting and smell out plays or can see things before they happen(they have inate football smarts that you don't teach). If the kid has very little experience playing defensive end, does not know how to use his hands, and get's sucked in all the time chasing the QB and giving up the point of attack way too easy because of inexperience then they will have a lot of problems. Especially playing against the triple option. I'm not saying Hagemen on D will not work out for him but this is tossing a kid to the wolves because he passes the eye test for strength and speed and say's go get him big fella. Then when he get's duped because of inexperience and starts getting beat the coaches get ticked. They better spend a lot of time teaching him If they want him to excel at the spot. Also he is going to have to want to play there and have success for this to work out.

I don't know if he was promised playing time at TE and got hoodwinked, then he might not be sticking around long. He would catch a lot of touchdowns just by being able to get the ball that a lot of other guy's would not be able to get too. If he can do both without wearing out even better.

This is exactly what NC did with Peppers. He was a TE in High School. Mack Brown turned him into a monster at DE in college. I have no idea if Hageman has the talent but he has the size to make the switch.

Top Bottom