Greenlee enters portal

Greenlee transferred because he heard Carr is returning and knew he wouldn't play a minute behind Carr and Mashburn Jr. Best of luck to him - let's get El-Amin and move on.
Right? Seems completely obvious to me.

Wish him best of luck.

As noted in another thread El-Amin is not a grad transfer and not eligible at this point in time, probably would have to sit a year.
Thinking is that he'd get a waiver with Covid and coming home to MN

Thinking is that he'd get a waiver with Covid and coming home to MN
This actually sounds like a reasonable chance.

Robbins case worries me, because he's moving farther away from home, and his uncle/cousin didn't raise him, they're only "extended" family. Worse yet, what it actually looks like is that the uncle recruited him, which is probably true (and just fine, so long as the recruitment was above board, which I'm sure it was). That is not what you get waivers for.

Hopefully with cv19 they'll be "close" to blanket granting.

But if the right people got the guideline update killed (guess we'll see on May 20), I suppose they could also defacto put a kibosh on the "leniency" with the waiver review/granting group.

This actually sounds like a reasonable chance.

Robbins case worries me, because he's moving farther away from home, and his uncle/cousin didn't raise him, they're only "extended" family. Worse yet, what it actually looks like is that the uncle recruited him, which is probably true (and just fine, so long as the recruitment was above board, which I'm sure it was). That is not what you get waivers for.
That would really hurt not to have Robbins. But yeah I'm all in on El-Amin at this point unless there is another plan in place with this Greenlee transfer.
You've got 2 open schols. He's not a top 10 transfer kid, but he can play and would contribute. It would be great to have him back in MN, and good for fan base with the name.

Greenlee transferred because he had no business on a B1G team.

Another waste caused by Pitino's inability to recruit .
I don't disagree about him not being a B1G player. It really isn't a big deal if he's the 12th or 13th guy on the roster though - you only need 8-10 guys that can play to have depth. No need to call for Pitino's head on this one.

He wasn't a B10 guard as a freshman, but maybe with experience could have turned into one. I liked the guy, and he did provide some depth, but he will probably better suited closer to home at a lower level. Best of luck BJ.

He wasn't a B10 guard as a freshman, but maybe with experience could have turned into one. I liked the guy, and he did provide some depth, but he will probably better suited closer to home at a lower level. Best of luck BJ.

What did you like about him?

I wish him the best and hope he has a good career where ever he choses to play. I feel bad, but it come with the territory of trying to be a top level competitive school. We will always be trying to upgrade the roster every year.

Experience isnt a substitute for lack of talent. There's a reason his offer list was what it was and c why he was signed so late in the game.

Greenlee transferred because he had no business on a B1G team.

Another waste caused by Pitino's inability to recruit .

It doesn't hurt you if your 12th or 13th scholarship player leaves after one year. It hurts you if your 12th or 13th scholarship player leaves after four years.

Appeared to have a good attitude and seemed like a good teammate. Played hard. I hope he does well at his next school.

Ok I guess when I read that people liked him I assume there was something redeeming about his game.

Hopefully they can turn his scholarship into a playable rotation piece. Losing him isn't a big deal. But going into next year with four playable perimeter players (which was the case before Greenlee was gone) isn't enough and they need at least one more.

I don't disagree about him not being a B1G player. It really isn't a big deal if he's the 12th or 13th guy on the roster though - you only need 8-10 guys that can play to have depth. No need to call for Pitino's head on this one.
Pitino recruited him. Recruited him because he was the best Pitino could get.

It's not a problem if the coach is settling for recruits that aren't B1G basketball players? That's exactly how the team ends up with a short bench and no depth year after year.

And BTW, Pitino is once again in the same boat...scrambling for scraps to fill out his team late in the spring. He'll be giving scholarships to 2 more Greenlees soon.

And 2 years from now the apologists will be lamenting the lack of depth, and bemoaning the "bad luck."

I wonder if this late spring recruiting is a vicious cycle. Trying to catch up for the current class puts them behind on recruiting the next class to evaluate and establish those relationships early, thus causing them to not fill in the fall and leaves them scrambling in the spring again

I wonder if this late spring recruiting is a vicious cycle. Trying to catch up for the current class puts them behind on recruiting the next class to evaluate and establish those relationships early, thus causing them to not fill in the fall and leaves them scrambling in the spring again

You do realize there have been 873 (and counting) players that have elected to go into the transfer portal this spring. The Gophers with two transfers are hardly some kind of outlier - including in the Big Ten where Iowa (3), Ohio State (3), Michigan (3), and Nebraska (6) have had more. (perhaps others, I didn't check real closely). Welcome to the new normal in college basketball where spring recruiting will likely become more and more important.

You do realize there have been 873 (and counting) players that have elected to go into the transfer portal this spring. The Gophers with two transfers are hardly some kind of outlier - including in the Big Ten where Iowa (3), Ohio State (3), Michigan (3), and Nebraska (6) have had more. (perhaps others, I didn't check real closely). Welcome to the new normal in college basketball where spring recruiting will likely become more and more important.
Only 12 power 6 programs with zero. The important part only applies to those that struggle because the best programs get players early and supplement with the transfers that fit. They know unless you get super elite freshman that you better be experienced or you will not win conference titles and such. The transfer data only results in big winning for very few. Rothstein did a great piece on how little it pays off. It can be good if players that see little time ahead for them leave a program, or they do not fit you can recruit a better and longer term player. The key will be who knows how to find pieces and then fit them together to win.

Well, I didn't see this coming....

Greenlee forced out because Pitino heard that Suggs may have cold feet? Lol

The world just keeps spinning.

This is only good news if we see a couple stud freshmen or grad transfers are waiting in the wings, and Carr comes back. We are thin in the backcourt if those things don’t happen.

I mean, I don't know. We can probably find a walk on that is just as good as Greenlee. This isn't a loss. Go offer to the best guards in the Northern Sun D2 conference and they would likely be better.

Two open scholarships in mid-May. Maybe 3. Again.

Two open scholarships in mid-May. Maybe 3. Again.
And:

I won't be surprised either way on Robbins. He has no case for a waiver. But maybe with cv19 they'll be very lenient with granting them.

Curry is anybody's guess if he'll be able to contribute.

sure, there is a new dynamic with transfers but there was a scholarship to fill even before we learned that Willis and Greenlee we’re transferring. It seems to me that ideally you would have your high school recruiting wrapped up prior to spring and then if you have transfers, you deal with those open scholarships at that point.

per Marcus' Q&A:

Q: Why would Pitino let Greenlee go when he currently has no point guards on the roster? Even if Marcus Carr comes back, a solid backup like Greenlee makes sense to keep around in case of injury. – Brennan (@Brennan88107254

A: Sounds like Pitino was pretty clear with Greenlee in their talks this spring he would not see an increased role after playing sparingly in 19 games last year. That’s not surprising, considering the Gophers are welcoming four-star guard Jamal Mashburn Jr., who is expected to be the backup to Carr next season. Greenlee, a great athlete with high basketball IQ, told Pitino last Friday he wanted to transfer to find more playing time elsewhere. The absence of Willis and Greenlee, though, leaves them lacking depth at point guard for sure.

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom