great theme songs from tv or movies

TV Theme Songs associated with proposed statues in Trump's "Garden of American Heros"

The theme music for the original Star Trek (Alexander Courage) was good, but the best part was its adaptability to numerous original scores for various episodes, some of which are downright brilliant works of art. The best in my opinion was Sol Kaplan's score for the Season 2 episode "The Doomsday Machine."

This is the closest recording I find on YouTube, which not exactly as broadcast but contains all the music. The episode score itself begins at 1:02.

Kaplan also wrote the score for the first-season episode "The Enemy Within," which had a nautical quality to it. This one is similar-sounding in some respects, but the arrangements and instrumentation is so multi-layered, it feels almost miraculous. It was clearly an inspired work, and its funereal-sounding themes fit the tragic mood of the film so perfectly it feels like a Wagner opera. Kudos to director Marc Daniels and Associate Producer / editor extraordinaire Bob Justman for fitting everything together perfectly.

TV Show, have to go with Mary Tyler Moore/Love is All Around by Sonny Curtis. Husker Du and later Bob Mould covered it extensively, quite a crowd favorite.

For an instrumental I am partial From the Earth to the Moon on HBO.

For a theatrical film, I will go with Cinema Paradiso.

RIP, Ennio Morricone. Quite a prolific list of films scores.

Johnny Mandel just passed away last week.

Johnny Mandel just passed away last week.

I have always wondered about the recasting of the Father Mulcahy character. They made the right call for whatever reason.

I have always wondered about the recasting of the Father Mulcahy character. They made the right call for whatever reason.
I remember reading about it once, but I don't recall where. They wanted a more real and rounded character, and Christopher was a pretty good actor.

My favorite Fr. Mulcahy line was after Klinger had punched out Frank, and an MP bursts in...

M.P.: What's going on, Father?
Father Mulcahy: Shh-shh-shh. He's exhausted.
M.P.: OK. Where's the guy that exhausted him?
Father Mulcahy: Let me take care of it. Please?
M.P.: [relenting] I'm not even Catholic.
Father Mulcahy: [smiling] Would you like to be?

We've been watching The Mandalorian. I think the music is the best part of the show. The main theme definitely has a western feel.

I remember reading about it once, but I don't recall where. They wanted a more real and rounded character, and Christopher was a pretty good actor.

My favorite Fr. Mulcahy line was after Klinger had punched out Frank, and an MP bursts in...

M.P.: What's going on, Father?
Father Mulcahy: Shh-shh-shh. He's exhausted.
M.P.: OK. Where's the guy that exhausted him?
Father Mulcahy: Let me take care of it. Please?
M.P.: [relenting] I'm not even Catholic.
Father Mulcahy: [smiling] Would you like to be?

Jocularity!

Black Sails, probably the only theme song to utilize a hurdy-gurdy. It just sounds like pirates to me

Reading about a couple of John Ford's silent films being remastered and released led to thinking about Ford's "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance" and, subsequently, Gene Pitney's song by the same name.
Pitney's song, written by Burt Bacharach and Hal David was released at the same time of the movie but did not appear in the movie. Nevertheless, the song was a big hit in 1962.

The previous year, Pitney had a movie song hit with "Town Without Pity" from the movie of the same name. It was written by Dmitri Tiomkin and Ned Washington and has been covered by a wide range of songsters.

Without a better place to put this here's the classic Titanic Theme Camel Version:

We've been watching The Mandalorian. I think the music is the best part of the show. The main theme definitely has a western feel.

I watched the mandalorian during a couple months ago and enjoyed it. (Also recommend Picard if you are familiar with TNG). Agree about the music, the use of drums is cool.

Last edited:

Nothing beats Laverne and Shirley imo.

Regarding movies, The Wonders had great music.

From 1968's "Wild in the Streets" we have the fictional Max Frost and the Troopers with the "Shape of Things to Come". Short and to the point it was written by Barry Man and Cynthia Weil and hit 22 on the Billboard charts. As a bonus there's an instrumental version by Dave Allan and the Arrows.

We shouldn't forget that Dave Allan and the Arrows did the sound track for the 1966 Roger Corman biker classic "Wild Angels". The song was a top 40 hit.

Personally it's kind of freaky because I looked up the theme song to H.R. Pufnstuf just a couple of days ago. No idea why.

Today, I read about co-creator Marty Kroft passing away yesterday at age 86. RIP.

and also co-created "Land of the Lost." Sleestaks!

Personally it's kind of freaky because I looked up the theme song to H.R. Pufnstuf just a couple of days ago. No idea why.

Today, I read about co-creator Marty Kroft passing away yesterday at age 86. RIP.

Dude helped make my Saturday mornings elite!

That and Captain Crunch.

Dude helped make my Saturday mornings elite!

That and Captain Crunch.
Sid and Marty Krofft's morning shows rule my childhood TV memories:

1. Land of the Lost
2. Dr. Shrinker
3. Space Nuts
4. Wonderbug
5. H.R. Pufnstuf
6. Sigmund and the Sea Monsters
7. ElectraWoman and DynaGirl
8. The Bugaloos

Add in Underdog and Johnny Quest from other creators and my cartoon needs were satisfied until Challenge of the Superfriends showed up on the scene.

Sid and Marty Krofft's morning shows rule my childhood TV memories:

1. Land of the Lost
2. Dr. Shrinker
3. Space Nuts
4. Wonderbug
5. H.R. Pufnstuf
6. Sigmund and the Sea Monsters
7. ElectraWoman and DynaGirl
8. The Bugaloos

Add in Underdog and Johnny Quest from other creators and my cartoon needs were satisfied until Challenge of the Superfriends showed up on the scene.
I would put the Bugaloos ahead of a few of these just because of Caroline Ellis (Joy). I can say that since she was 20 at the time.

My list:
1. Land of the Lost
2. H.R. Pufnstuf
3. Sigmond and the Sea Monsters
4. The Bugaloos
5. Space Nuts
6. Dr. Shrinker
7. Electra Woman and Dyna Girl
8. Wonderbug (I don't really remember this one)

Top Bottom