great theme songs from tv or movies

Performed by the Wellingtons who, if legend has it correct, appeared in a 2nd-season episode as the Mosquitos.

Can't believe we have gone this far without mentioning Mike Post. The man wrote Magnum P.I., The Rockford Files, Law and Order, The A-Team, Hill Street Blues and The Greatest American Hero.

I don't know how to do the "post a clip" thing - but

the theme song for "The Prisoner" is one of my favorite TV themes. It was a cult British TV series with Patrick McGoohan as a former secret agent who is kidnapped and taken to a strange village where they try to get him to reveal information. A very trippy show. I suspect most of the people who watched it were under some type of chemical influence.
Just completed my The Prisoner re-watch. Here is the theme song.

TV Show, have to go with Mary Tyler Moore/Love is All Around by Sonny Curtis. Husker Du and later Bob Mould covered it extensively, quite a crowd favorite.

For an instrumental I am partial From the Earth to the Moon on HBO.

For a theatrical film, I will go with Cinema Paradiso.

Last edited:

TV Show, have to go with Mary Tyler Moore/Love is All Around by Sonny Curtis. Husker Du and later Bob Mould covered it extensively, quite a crowd favorite.

Don't forget the Joan Jett cover of Love is All Around

This music means you're about to be unsettled.

Maybe not a great theme song; but an appropriate theme song for a great concert movie: "The T.A.M.I. Show". The song was written by P.F. Sloan and Steve Berry who also wrote "Secret Agent Man". Along with the performers, the intro features Jan and Dean doing some sidewalk surfing with a cool flip dismount.

Not the actual themes but part of two great movies.

Play LOUD!

When Jodie Foster was dropped off near a store not far from here for a posh swedish wedding the customers could not believe it.

Top Bottom