Gray Won’t Move to Wide Receiver

GopherLady

Reaction score
Per Dave Shama:

http://www.shamasportsheadliners.com/#MarQueis

Here's one excerpt:
“It will be very situational with MarQueis,” Brewster said. “He pushed Adam extremely hard. He’s one play away from being our starting quarterback. The lion’s share of his work is going to be at the quarterback position. We think he’s got a chance to be an outstanding quarterback, but that doesn’t preclude us from also using him in some situational things, possibly throwing a ball to him. Letting him do some things, but he’s going to be a quarterback.”

Article sounds a little bit like Brewster is giving Weber a short leash. I don't think Brewster would openly say that Gray is "one play away from being our starting quarterback" without actually meaning at least 98% of that.

I think that's good. Keep the pressure on Weber. Let him know that if he loses focus in a game, he's out for a while. Maybe it will help his mental toughness. If Gray keeps pushing Weber, we might actually end up with 2 really good Quarterbacks.

Good they aren't moving Gray to WR, it means there is hope he will be the QB of the future.

I think "one play away" is implying if Weber gets hurt. I am not even going to talk about the 2 really good QB's comment. Hopefully Gray can be one, I have already discussed the concept of Weber being a really good QB. Outside of injury or a 2-4 or worse start, I do not see Gray starting this year.

"One Play Away" can mean several things. As you mentioned, said play could be Weber getting dogpiled and taken off on a stretcher. Especially if he does that patented spin move of his into a charging DE.

It could also be a freshmanesque pick-6. Particularly if that costs us a game we should have won, which will only put Brewster's future more at risk. Most would agree that Brewster's job is safe if he finishes 6-6 or better. 5-7 is marginal, and anything less than that probably means Brewster is a TE assistant in the NFL (again) in 2011. If Weber craps the bed vs. MTSU, I concur with G-drummer that the "short leash" is going to get yanked. Hard.

too much drama. He's a sophmore with an experienced senior ahead of him. It's how most QB's progress to the starting spot. It's so typical, I don't know why we feel the need to make normal development into something more than it is. Yes Weber will have a short leash, because Gray is better prepared to take over than last year when he was a freshman.

too much drama. He's a sophmore with an experienced senior ahead of him. It's how most QB's progress to the starting spot. It's so typical, I don't know why we feel the need to make normal development into something more than it is. Yes Weber will have a short leash, because Gray is better prepared to take over than last year when he was a freshman.

I agree with you here. Gray has shown to the coaches that he has much better command of the offense than last year; to be expected as a Soph. But, he is just a SOPH. a lot of people keep ignoring because he came in with such fan fair and obvious talent exhibited even as a FROSH. I guess we just want an explosion of success as fans. But you are right. He is coming along fairly well for a young (SOPH) QB.

"One Play Away" can mean several things. As you mentioned, said play could be Weber getting dogpiled and taken off on a stretcher. Especially if he does that patented spin move of his into a charging DE.

It could also be a freshmanesque pick-6. Particularly if that costs us a game we should have won, which will only put Brewster's future more at risk. Most would agree that Brewster's job is safe if he finishes 6-6 or better. 5-7 is marginal, and anything less than that probably means Brewster is a TE assistant in the NFL (again) in 2011. If Weber craps the bed vs. MTSU, I concur with G-drummer that the "short leash" is going to get yanked. Hard.

I think all the anti-weber guys should be jacked about this comment. this is brew putting heat on weber to play well or hold a clip board. I guess I'm excited for this comment for different reasons, reading in between the lines this tells me no position is safe and if you don't produce, you will be replaced! and if a senior captain and long time starter is told the leash is short, brew is going all in to have a big year. I'm excited, go gophers

I think all the anti-weber guys should be jacked about this comment. this is brew putting heat on weber to play well or hold a clip board. I guess I'm excited for this comment for different reasons, reading in between the lines this tells me no position is safe and if you don't produce, you will be replaced! and if a senior captain and long time starter is told the leash is short, brew is going all in to have a big year. I'm excited, go gophers

It looks to me that Coach Brewster is being very consistent. Competition will make his team achieve higher; other upperclassmen have already either lost their jobs or at best will be given the opportunity to win it back because there are NO SAFE POSITIONS. There will be guys on the sideline waiting to get in that Coach Brewster will have no problem pulling out a guy and replace him. It has not been like that for a LONG time. I'm excited. GO GOPHERS!

I really like Shama, he´s my favorite Mpls sports writer (Aside from Sid of course!). Anytime Brew wants to send a message, praise someone or clarify soemthing it seems Shama or Sid get the call.

It´s clear to me that Brew´s intention was A) To publicly support M Gray and give a pump-up to his prized thoroughbred. B) Let anyone who wasn´t already 100% clear know that Gray is NOT moving to WR.

How anyone can twist the common football cliche ¨One play away from starting¨ into anything other than being injured just makes me roll my eyes..again. Weber is the starter folks. Barring injury or a throwing in of the towel on the season he´s our QB this year.

I really like Shama, he´s my favorite Mpls sports writer (Aside from Sid of course!). Anytime Brew wants to send a message, praise someone or clarify soemthing it seems Shama or Sid get the call.

It´s clear to me that Brew´s intention was A) To publicly support M Gray and give a pump-up to his prized thoroughbred. B) Let anyone who wasn´t already 100% clear know that Gray is NOT moving to WR.

How anyone can twist the common football cliche ¨One play away from starting¨ into anything other than being injured just makes me roll my eyes..again. Weber is the starter folks. Barring injury or a throwing in of the towel on the season he´s our QB this year.

In the words of Lee Corso, NOT SO FAST! I doubt very seriously that Coach Brewster or his staff would come close to agreeing that we would have to be throwing in the towel on the season should Weber get pulled. You guys are drinking some serious Weber Juice to buy into that one. Look, we all want him to have a great season but the OLine and running game will be the key to Gopher success, not the QB play IMHO. Weber has started going on 4 years; we all should know what he brings to the table by now. We just need him to take care of the football, lead and manage a conservative offensive attack. If it is not there, dump the ball off and lets line up another play. We will likely find success there. BUT, I am also confident that Gray will be ready to step in this year when needed.

I agree. As I mentioned in another thread, if we're in a situation where Weber has to carry the offense singlehandedly and win games for us, we're in trouble. There was a discussion elsewhere about Weber vs. Cupito. That's the biggest difference. Cupito's main job (most of the time) was not to screw things up and just hand it off 40+ times a game. Weber's biggest problem is that he hasn't had a stud RB to hand it off to his whole career here. You can't blame him for that. Or for having to play QB behind an O-line that's more often resembled a swinging gate than a brick wall.

Middle Tennessee State

So what I'm hearing from Brew is we won't see Adam trudging through series after series without being replaced. Just a gut feeling mind you, but I think we see Gray in the first half against MTS and not because the Gophers are blowing them away.

He's a sophmore with an experienced senior ahead of him. It's how most QB's progress to the starting spot. It's so typical, I don't know why we feel the need to make normal development into something more than it is.

Because 4-year starters are usually, you know, GOOD. Unlike Weber.

Yes Weber will have a short leash

You don't honestly believe this, do you?

Top Bottom