Gophers Women's Hockey 2024-25 Season

Forward Tereza Plosova is coming to the Minnesota Gophers. She's a taller, left-shooting forward. She made a big impression at U18 World's Women Championship for Czechia. Her well-regarded Czech team coach Carla MacLeodová is the coach for PWHL Ottawa too.

I'm not entirely sure what's going on because she projects to be a 2024 recruit and yet no official details that I can find.

Heat on Coach Brad Frost...

At this point is non-existent. The incoming players are a slaugher roster.

The Gophers last season were top-5. They were able to hang with Wisconsin but not Ohio State. Now add all that.

The top of the WCHA is outright insane with talent.

Last edited:

Minnesota's Abbey Murphy is listed as the #1 overall prospect for next season's PWHL draft, in that article. Her style and persona would draw. It's still early.

Competition is tough.

The WCHA produces the most top players but great players come from around the world.

The #7, #8 and #13 picks in the last PWHL draft came from Luleå HF, a hockey club in Sweden.

The first two picks in the last PWHL draft came from Eastern schools Princeton and Colgate.

I'm tempted to say Ohio State, Wisconsin and Minnesota have entered a super-tier, but there are so many good players choosing schools for a variety of reasons. Not everyone wants to play for a Big Ten academic school. Some want an Eastern liberal arts college experience. Some players will choose lesser-known schools and become stars.

Speaking of elite defenders joining a WCHA school this season... Ohio State yet again. Kennedy writes about a Swedish pipeline.

Josefin Bouvang was #2 in scoring for Minnesota Gophers. She's from Sweden.

Ian Kennedy has written quite a few good articles lately.

Kennedy's take on Wisconsin Badgers incoming talent -- must read

Early preseason power rankings

The season before last, the Gophers lost much of their production to graduation: NCAA scoring leader Taylor Heise, do-everything-great Grace Zumwinkle who won PWHL Rookie of the Year, Abigail Boreen strong producer, Catie Skaja about the same production as Borren...

Minnesota finished 5th in polls, a slip but still near the top.

Will Ohio State slip?

Abbey Murphy is a senior this season. Everyone else is a year older. How long until the new prospects for Minnesota are ready?

Speaking of Natalie Mylnkova coming to the Gophers this season from HockeyEast where she was MVP...

And speaking of Czechia...

Natalie Mylnkova plays for Czechia national team.

Earlier I mentioned the stunning U18 upset of U18 Canada by U18 Czechia. Several Gophers were involved.

Let's take a look at the Canada goaltending and defense since the goalie Hannah Clark, the top goaltender for U18 Canada, and two top Canada U18 defenders, Chloe Primerano and Gracie Graham, are coming to Minnesota this season.

Hannah Clark Goaltender

The first score is a deflection off a skate that is moving like a kick. Makayla Watson and Rosalie Breton were the Canada defensemen (not Graham or Primerano). That's a tough one to stop.

1720380064544.png

On this next one -- oh, oh -- is that Primerano and Graham on the ice? Yes. Let's see what happens.

Graham (gold arrow to right) guards the Czechia player who makes a great move.

Primerano (blue arrow to left) guards the Czechia attacker at the crease.

1720383372517.png

Primerano leaves the crease area to poke the puck. The attacker in response tries to pass through it.

1720383460808.png

The undefended attacker at the crease has a point-blank shot when the puck stumbles through, help arrives a second too late.

1720381821530.png

Primerano strikes back for Canada. She snipes a killer shot just inside the left post through traffic. She has that blazing fast left-handed shot that's precise. BAM! Net moves. What happened? Just inside the post or pipe.

1720382135492.png

On this next goal Primerano is defending and plays the attack well. The attacker shoots and Primerano blocks the shot. The other defenseman is Jessica Cheung (not Graham).

The blast slams Primerano who absorbs the blow. It careens hard way to the other side where a Czech attacker moves for the kill. Not Primerano's fault, she was defending the far other side.

The attacker moves closer and unloads a sniper shot to the upper left corner.

1720384167496.png

Is that on the goalie for not stopping that, on the defense, or a lucky bounce?

All I know is that Wisconsin and Ohio State will punish teams for allowing time to snipe. The Wisconsin slaughter roster has no mercy.

Speaking of Czechia, Kennedy with the Hockey News writes about the new national team roster. Both Gophers Natalie Mlynkova and Tereza Plosova made the national team.

Speaking of Tereza Plosova, I'm not sure of her enrollment status with Minnesota. My understanding is that schools cannot mention anything unless some kind of agreement has been signed. The player can and she did post it. It's now July 7 so I'm not sure when she's coming.

More excellent articles:

Natalie Darwitz FREE Autograph Event​

Fan HQ is very excited to announce an in-person meet & greet autograph event with 2024 Hockey Hall of Fame inductee NATALIE DARWITZ!​

Wednesday, August 7, 2024
6:30-7:15 PM

(Time/Date Subject to Change)

Fan HQ Ridgedale
12667 Wayzata Blvd
Minnetonka, MN 55305

FREE TICKET INFO*

Text HOF to number 94253 to claim a free in-person autograph ticket (limit 1 per person - any additional writing/personalizing requires an inscription ticket).​

• 150 free autographs available! Must be able to attend in-person to redeem a free autograph ticket.
  • Show the ticket message at the event on August 6 to receive your free autograph.
  • PLEASE NOTE – free tickets good for Autograph Only! Posed photos are only available with the purchase of a VIP ticket.
  • Inscriptions require a ticket - $15 each
  • VIP Ticket - $25 - Includes 1 autograph, a choice of a posed photo or an inscription, and a fast pass to the front of the autograph line. (Please note all photo ops will take place at the start of the event.)
  • Additional autos - $20 each
  • CLICK HERE for complete Fan HQ text list info

EVENT TICKET INFORMATION:
  • All ticket sales are final.
  • Event date and time subject to change. In the event of a change, previously purchased tickets will be honored on the new date. Autograph ticket sales are final, but options will be offered to ticket holders unable to make a rescheduled event. Refunds given only in the case of a canceled event.
  • Tickets are valid for an autograph/photo/inscription and do not include the item to be signed.
  • No Tickets will be mailed.
  • Purchased tickets will be available at Will-Call the day of the event. If the event is being held at a Fan HQ store, tickets will be available for pick-up at the store within seven days of purchase. Please bring a copy of your order receipt and/or a photo ID matching the order name to claim tickets.
  • Fan HQ guests reserve the right to refuse to sign any item or inscription.
  • Events may run longer than the listed end time, but all ticket holders must be in line before the listed end time to guarantee their autographs/photos.
DROP-OFFS & MAIL-INS
Can’t make the signing? Bring your items to Fan HQ, purchase an autograph ticket and for $10 per signature (plus the cost of the autograph ticket) we’ll have them signed for you. Pick them up as your schedule permits, or have us ship them back to you. Each drop-off/mail-in item includes a Beckett Witnessed Certificate of Authenticity at no additional cost!

PLEASE DELIVER ALL MAIL ORDER AND DROP OFF ITEMS TO FAN HQ BEFORE AUGUST 4, 2024!​

• All ticket sales are final.
  • Each drop-off and mail-order item includes a Beckett Witnessed Certificate of Authenticity at no additional charge. (Please inform us in advance if you do not want a COA attached to your item.)
  • Event date and time subject to change. In the event of a change, previously purchased tickets will be honored on the new date. Refunds given only in the case of a canceled event.
  • Tickets are valid for an autograph/inscription and do not include the item to be signed.
  • Fan HQ guests reserve the right to refuse to sign any item or inscription.
Please mail items along with payment (or copy of receipt) and our PREPAID RETURN SHIPPING to:

Fan HQ
12667 Wayzata Blvd
Minnetonka, MN 55305

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1720394338173.jpg
    FB_IMG_1720394338173.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 1

Unfortunately, Ohio State has reinforcements coming. See previous posted Hockey News article. Ohio State will take a half-step back this season in talent.

Josie St. Martin from Stillwater, Minnesota is the one that stings most. At U18 Women's Worlds she made the All-star team at forward. She's East Metro Girls Hockey Player of the Year (Pioneer Press) and Metro Player of the Year (Star Tribune).

I was trying to find ECAC Clarkson's incoming players and looking at that roster. They'll play good D with Goaltender of the Year Michelle Pasiechny, but where's the scoring coming from?

And Colgate, you can read about them here:

Minnesota Recruiting

It's a great thing that Minnesota is bringing in a lot of world-class talent from around the world. The international hockey scene is so strong right now.

Recruiting almost exclusively Minnesota players probably would fail. Look at the competition Ohio State and Wisconsin. Players choose schools for a lot of reasons, no sure thing to reload from Minnesota players.

If the three big magnets for talent are Minnesota, Wisconsin and Ohio State, then bring in the best -- like super teams.

By Minnesota Wild PR

SAINT PAUL, Minn. – The Minnesota Wild, in conjunction with Bally Sports North, Minnesota Hockey and the Shakopee Local Organizing Committee, today announced the date for the 19th Annual Hockey Day Minnesota (HDM), presented by UnitedHealthcare. Valleyfair Amusement Park will serve as the venue for the 19th annual statewide hockey celebration on Saturday, January 25. Game times will be announced at a later date.

“We are very excited to celebrate Hockey Day Minnesota 2025 in Shakopee,” said Minnesota Wild CEO Matt Majka. “Combining the thrill of Valleyfair and the thrill of Hockey Day Minnesota will create a memorable day for everyone involved.”

Gophers Women's Hockey plays on Saturday, January 25. It will be televised free.

Sat., Jan. 25Univ. of Minnesota vs. Bemidji State - WomenValleyfair Amusement Park

Lots of terrific high school hockey action at Valleyfair! 5 boys games, 4 girls, 1 women', and 1 Minnesota Wild. Looks perfect to me.

The Minnesota Wild's game against Calgary Flames will be televised free!

Sat., Jan. 25Minnesota Wild vs. Calgary Flames6:00 p.m. at Xcel Energy Center

The Wild are great with all they do!!

UMD promotes Laura Schuler to head coach of the Bulldogs. Congratulations Coach Schuler!

Earlier, Bemidji State promoted Amber Flyjlund to head coach. Congratulations Coach Flyklund!

Earlier, Minnesota State promoted Shari Dickerman to head coach. Congratulations Coach Dickerman!

Last edited:

Historic recruiting class coming to the Minnesota Gophers this fall 2024.

Chloe Primerano is a coveted defenseman who is a scoring leader.

The MVP of U18 Women's World.

Hat tricks anyone?

1720701809362.png

The competition: UMD

Caitlin Kraemer became Canada's all-time leading scorer in an IIHF U-18 World Championship with 14. She's playing for UMD starting this season.

See this Hockey News preview of UMD:

This rivalry goes back a long time when they were duking it out for national championships. I don't know for sure -- but -- from what I've seen on the ice they don't like each other.

A large number of UMD players went to the PWHL the last two seasons. Is the cupboard bare? They've been trapped at #4 in the WCHA, 7-ish in national polls. Down or up?

With a big name like Caitlin Kraemer, kind of looks headed....

Should be fun games to watch.

UMD always has great goaltending, and they usually try to keep scoring down, but they do have a new coach now...

Follow up comments...

I see Morgan Neitze made the Team USA roster whom I like. She's from a lesser-known Atlantic Hockey school Lindenwood. Abbey Murphy's open spot made that available.

Abbey Murphy left off looks like a disciplinary message.

Earlier in the season Murphy boarded a player. Knocked her down to the ice by the boards. Murphy got ejected. That was not cool. Don't do that is the message, I think this year with USA is a message. In America we do get to have more chances so tone it down.

I am a full Murphy supporter, just saying be more careful with crossing the line.

AND IN MURPHY'S defense, I've seen her knocked out cold on the ice with a blatant hit job. So let's not have the goose badmouthing the duck here. Murphy gets beat up all the time.

And for the PWHL thing, it's all over Twitter and I'm not going to comment. Read the article.
Murphy may receive some cheap shots but it is no where close to the cheap shots she delivers. I have been embarrassed many times watching her conduct on the ice. I love good hard play in sports, I hate cheating and cheap shots most of all in all sports and Murphy is by far the worst I have seen and it is embarrassing. I wish she would stop that crap. Makes total sense to me to leave her off the team, if you want to team to bond well in a short period of time.

Follow up comments...

I see Morgan Neitze made the Team USA roster whom I like. She's from a lesser-known Atlantic Hockey school Lindenwood. Abbey Murphy's open spot made that available.

Abbey Murphy left off looks like a disciplinary message.

Earlier in the season Murphy boarded a player. Knocked her down to the ice by the boards. Murphy got ejected. That was not cool. Don't do that is the message, I think this year with USA is a message. In America we do get to have more chances so tone it down.

I am a full Murphy supporter, just saying be more careful with crossing the line.

AND IN MURPHY'S defense, I've seen her knocked out cold on the ice with a blatant hit job. So let's not have the goose badmouthing the duck here. Murphy gets beat up all the time.

And for the PWHL thing, it's all over Twitter and I'm not going to comment. Read the article.
I doubt Abby was left off the team for one hit and ejection, or that she makes "cheap shots." I think she got left off because of the enormous number of penalties that she gets. Leading the NCAA by over 10 penalties is a terrible distinction. You cannot have a risky player who might get a penalty at a crucial time in a game.

And I think former Gopher Madeline Wethington has not signed yet.

Last edited:

I wonder if some women and men hockey games will be stacked back-to-back on a few dates.

On Friday, January 3 the women play Brown at 4:30 PM. That is an early start time for women's hockey

The next day Saturday, January 4 they play Penn State at 4:30. That's a later start time than usual.

The men's hockey team plays on those same dates. The times are not yet announced. Logically, the Friday game is going to start at 7 PM near the end of the women's game, maybe some overlap. Since women's tickets are so cheap, some people will first check out the women's game first before going to the men's game.

Those two games are part of the State Fair special.

The State Fair special has women's hockey tickets too.

I'm looking forward to seeing the women play Penn State. They are good and yet stuck in probably the 4th best hockey conference. Brown is an Ivy League ECAC East team we may not see again for awhile.

I may be going to four Gophers hockey games in two days.

Countdown to the Gophers season opener on the road against HockeyEast champs UConn!

1725305549005.png

That's Minnesota Gophers Abbey Murphy pitching it over the plate! She's from the south side of Chicago, Evergreen Park.

Former Gophers great Amanda Kessel inducted into M club.

1725709100302.png

1725708888367.png

Top Bottom