Gophers Women's Hockey 2024-25 Season

GopherMarroon

Reaction score
The talent-packed Gophers season starts with a bang. The Gophers open the season at the defending Hockey East champions UConn.

That is followed by a series hosting Boston University.

Then the Gophers hit the road to play the defending NCAA champs Ohio State. Boom!

If that weren't enough, boom, the Gophers host Wisconsin loaded with snipers.

Not to be missed!

The Gophers are loaded with talent, including intenationally famous (infamous) Abbey Murphy.

The incoming Gophers recruiting class is exceptional.

Last edited:

Tickets at:

Social media:

2025 NCAA Women's Hockey Frozen Four

The University of Minnesota will host its seventh NCAA Women's Frozen Four in school history and its fifth at Ridder Arena.

Previous years include the inaugural 2001 and 2006 championships at Mariucci, followed by the 2010, 2013, 2015, and 2018 championships at Ridder Arena. No other city has hosted the event more than three times.

“We are excited to welcome fans, visitors, student-athletes and coaches back to our wonderful region to celebrate collegiate sports,” said Melvin Tennant, Chief Executive Officer of Meet Minneapolis and Executive Board member of Minnesota Sports and Events. “The NCAA has complete confidence in the University of Minnesota as the host institution for these collegiate championships, and the procurement of these events further cements the region’s national status as a proven championship-caliber host community."

Women's hockey has been around a long time at University of Minnesota.

25+ Years of Minnesota Golden Gophers WCHA Women's Hockey

1997 was the first season for University of Minnesota Women's Hockey, the current team.

Over 100 Years Since the First Gophers Women's Hockey

"In 1918, according to University of Minnesota “Gopher” yearbooks, some 30 women tried out for the first-ever Gopher Women’s hockey team. Oftentimes playing to large crowds, the women played through the 1920’s at the skating rink on Northrop Field (near the Armory on the UofM campus)."

1718317128483.png

The Abbey Murphy Effect

The American Hockey Player the Rest of the World Loves to Hate

The increased physicality of women's hockey can be traced back to trendsetter Abbey Murphy, I can't say exactly how much. As someone who's seen her play many times, teams definitely respond to her with increased trash talk, shoves, knock downs, and trips that never get called. The refs let it go because it seems the agitator is getting ice justice back.

Catch the action this season. Friday nights or Saturday afternoons are times for Gophers Women's Hockey, so tune in.

Murphy led the NCAA in goals last season and was leading in goals-per-game until #1 overall draft pick Sarah Fillier passed Murphy in goals per game. Great job by Fillier to achieve that!

Murphy was a Patty Kazmeier top-10 finalist. Will she make it to the top 3? Kristen Simms of Wisconsin won the WCHA Forward of the Year award and should have won the Patty Kaz except the final 3 candidates included two Badgers who split the vote and gave the award to an East Coast player who wasn't drafted until the last pick of the 3rd round, Izzy Daniel.

You do not want to miss Wisconsin when they come to town. Get your tickets to Gophers-Badgers.

Gophers Team Hockey

The Gophers play team hockey. Stay tuned this season as players reach for dreams, the story unfolds.

The incoming rookie class is amazing. i will post about them in a future post.

Many young talented returning players too.

Tickets are cheap. You can turn back tickets you don't use for a credit towards next season. (That was the policy last season and assume the same this next season). Attend some games and roll the credits forward to next season.

Game audio streams free online. The free audio/radio broadcast is really good.

Access that at the schedule link.

BIG+ for live game video is low in cost compared to others sports packages.

When the season approaches, watch for the WCHA, school, or hockey pass subscriptions, typically $40-$60.

Get into the habit of tuning in. I use all three: live games, live video, and live audio. Tune in

Tickets at:

Last edited:

The American Hockey Player the Rest of the World Loves to Hate

If Abbey Murphy is the player others love to hate....

Then Ohio State coach Nadine Muzerall is the coach I love to hate. With humor, nothing mean-spirited intended.

She is the best coach in college hockey.

But I really dislike Ohio State.

That machine -- by that women.

Ohio State repeatedly cheats with rough, cheap physical hockey. They get away with it. Refs don't call it.

I was at a Gophers game against another team not Ohio State. I sat next to a parent of a player for the other team. I started talking about how bad Ohio State was with their cheating trash. That triggered an animated retelling by the parent about all the cheap, thug penalties Ohio State gets away with. Not called. Not called. Not called.

They are mean in a sneaky way. But it's even worse.

It's the way they skate.

The way they pass.

A machine.

The Muzerall machine.

She won two NCAA Frozen Four championships in the last three years. The third was a loss to a loaded underdog Wisconsin team.

Wisconsin has an amazing collection of snipers. Just look at the roster. Simms, O'Brien, Harvey, Edwards, Murphy...

With Ohio State it's a machine, the Muzerall machine.

Like a swarm of killer bees taking formation.

I dislike Ohio State! Even if I agree the coach is the best.

Nadine Muzerall is a former Gophers great player. She's a former Gophers assistant coach.

So now it makes complete sense.

Minnesota Gophers play at Ohio State October 11 and 12.

Ohio State plays at Minnesota January 31 and February 1.

If you're around, you probably should get tickets to the game.

Top Bottom