Gophers vs West Virginia in Guaranteed Rate Bowl

OK, after the initial disgust of where we'll be heading to for our bowl game, I decided to continue to support our team and go see them play.

Booked my airfare for family of 3 ($3,800) - main cabin also! These are usually First Class fare rates!
Bought my 3 game tickets ($330) - Gopher score in the 700s
Reserved my two-night stay ($650 total for both nights) - not with the U of M fan package

I'm ready for this shit!

OK, after the initial disgust of where we'll be heading to for our bowl game, I decided to continue to support our team and go see them play.

Booked my airfare for family of 3 ($3,800) - main cabin also! These are usually First Class fare rates!
Reserved my two-night stay ($650 total for both nights) - not with the U of M fan package

I'm ready for this shit!
backing-you-get-yours.gif

I'm ready for this shit!
You serious, Clark?

Has anyone considered flying into Vegas and renting a car? It's a pretty easy 4 hour drive. Then get tix for the Vegas bowl and cheer for ASU!
Looking into it. But renting a car in Vegas is spendy if I recall.

Looking into it. But renting a car in Vegas is spendy if I recall.
That has been the case lately. I'm so bummed as I live in Vegas and can't get away with work to go to PHX. May still go to Vegas bowl with some Maroon and Gold.

Has anyone considered flying into Vegas and renting a car? It's a pretty easy 4 hour drive. Then get tix for the Vegas bowl and cheer for ASU!
Not that much cheaper. We are looking. Air was still over $600.

Gophers open as 6.5 point favorites with an over/under of 45.

Wisconsin 7 point dogs to ASU and PU 2.5 point favorites against Tennessee. I don't see a line on the PSU game.

Gophers open as 6.5 point favorites with an over/under of 45.

Wisconsin 7 point dogs to ASU and PU 2.5 point favorites against Tennessee. I don't see a line on the PSU game.
If ASU can go all in and stop the run…should be fine, assuming they have the people who can do that.

Obviously there is no benefit to disrespecting your opponent......but this HAS to be disappointing for Fleck and the team. There isn't anything wrong with questioning the selection process when your team was effectively dropped in the pecking order by three games....and you play a team with two less wins. If nothing else....maybe it affords you the benefit in subsequent years.
The BGSU loss is a very expensive lesson. One bad call, fancy analytics resulting in that bad call, and a mediocre OC's incompetence and not respecting an opponent gave the game away.

The Gophers would have been going to the Big Ten Championships - one game! The punishment for the Gophers' loss is so severe.

The Gophers have to be able to win the second half against Iowa, Illinois, and the likes of Bowling Green. Then, we will not be as exasperated like we are now. The OC did not put the team in the best chances to win.

Last edited:

apparently the “not many care about this game” bowl.
Wow. Yea, no one outside of these two fan bases cates about this game.

33. Guaranteed Rate Bowl: West Virginia (6-6) vs. Minnesota (8-4)​

It’s hard to get excited about this one unless you’re a fan of either of these teams. This is a Minnesota team that lost to Bowling Green and West Virginia has been the epitome of .500 this season. And with this bowl game in Phoenix, so far away from either school, there may not be many fans in attendance.

The BGSU loss is a very expensive lesson. One bad call, fancy analytics resulting in that bad call, and a mediocre OC's incompetence and not respecting an opponent gave the game away.

The Gophers would have been going to the Big Ten Championships - one game! The punishment for the Gophers' loss is so severe.

The Gophers have to be able to win the second half against Iowa, Illinois, and the likes of Bowling Green. Then, we will not be as exasperated like we are now. The OC did not put the team in the best chance to win.
Even if the Gophers had beaten BG and IL they’d still not have made the B1G championship game. Iowa would have won the tie breaker.

Watching the game is about 4 hours of a 2 - 4 day bowl trip. Call me nuts if you want, but I love NYC and have never been around the holidays. Way cheaper flights. Would've taken the fam and gone to a couple shows, ice skating at Rockefeller, museums, great restaurants, and the rest of what makes NYC great. The game would've been cold, but we're Minnesotans...we know something about dressing for a game. Nashville and Vegas would've been fun as well. And Tampa was a BLAST two years ago. But hey, it's a moot point. Like lots of people I'll be watching on TV and cheering hard for MN to get win #9.
Pinstripe Bowl = Omnicron Bowl.

I'm retired so I really don't care what day of the week or time the game starts.

But, with a later start time, I'll probably have to take a nap that day if I want to be able to stay up for the end of the game.
Well, I'm contemplating retirement, and contemplating taking a nap that day too. I always take the week off between Christmas and New Years, so I'm all in for staying up past midnight, having way too much to drink, and celebrating our 5th straight bowl win!

Well, I'm contemplating retirement, and contemplating taking a nap that day too. I always take the week off between Christmas and New Years, so I'm all in for staying up past midnight, having way too much to drink, and celebrating our 5th straight bowl win!
I haven't worked that week in years either.

Driving is a solid 20-21hrs each way of highway time, which doesn't include stops.
I'm debating doing this. I've done 22 hours straight on a motorcycle before. I'm sure I could do it in a car.

The concern with driving that time of year, is the uncertainty of the weather. I'd hate to get stranded in Kansas or something.

Just renting a car is difficult, and the rates are high.

10:15 for WV fans…

I guess they don’t want anyone to watch.
It's now $1100
Charter flights will be added like they were for the citrus bowl. I believe sun country added two and they were reasonable.
The biggest thing for me is time off from work for a Tuesday game.
I think Phoenix destination wise is the best of the bunch this time of year but I’m not a fan of Florida.

Charter flights will be added like they were for the citrus bowl. I believe sun country added two and they were reasonable.
I think Phoenix destination wise is the best of the bunch this time of year but I’m not a fan of Florida.
Sun Country has done that a couple times in the past. However, they do that when there is demand. Time will tell if they see enough demand to do it this year.

Sun Country has done that a couple times in the past. However, they do that when there is demand. Time will tell if they see enough demand to do it this year.
Thinking they see many googling flights to phx or have some analytics on this.

That was when they were still locally owned and before they became a completely no-frills airline.

Assoc. Athletic Director tweeted they wouldn’t do a charter as it wasn’t economical. So unless an airline does it on their own. Out of luck.

Top Bottom