Gophers vs West Virginia in Guaranteed Rate Bowl

Hey. If any of you are looking for any last-minute gift ideas for me, I have one. I'd like Kevin Warren, Big Ten Commisioner right here tonight. I want him brought from his happy holiday slumber over there on Melody Lane with all the other rich people and I want him brought right here, with a big ribbon on his head, and I want to look him straight in the eye and I want to tell him what a cheap, lying, no-good, rotten, four-flushing, low-life, snake-licking, dirt-eating, inbred, overstuffed, ignorant, blood-sucking, dog-kissing, brainless, dickless, hopeless, heartless, fat-ass, bug-eyed, stiff-legged, spotty-lipped, worm-headed sack of monkey sh*t he is. Hallelujah. Holy sh*t. Where's the Tylenol?

Tuesday night game with a 10:15 PM EST kickoff.

I mean…..

Hopefully we never see eight straight runs at the end of the first half before kicking a FG from the Iowa 15 again.

Hey. If any of you are looking for any last-minute gift ideas for me, I have one. I'd like Kevin Warren, Big Ten Commisioner right here tonight. I want him brought from his happy holiday slumber over there on Melody Lane with all the other rich people and I want him brought right here, with a big ribbon on his head, and I want to look him straight in the eye and I want to tell him what a cheap, lying, no-good, rotten, four-flushing, low-life, snake-licking, dirt-eating, inbred, overstuffed, ignorant, blood-sucking, dog-kissing, brainless, dickless, hopeless, heartless, fat-ass, bug-eyed, stiff-legged, spotty-lipped, worm-headed sack of monkey sh*t he is. Hallelujah. Holy sh*t. Where's the Tylenol?
:D
You serious Clark?

I'm still really upset about this for some reason. Like I feel really insulted on behalf of the Gophers. I shouldn't but I do. It's hard to fathom this because had we finished 6-6, we'd be IN THE SAME BOWL.

In that case the Big Ten would have sent us to the Pinstripe. But maybe if we had simply lost to Wisconsin in that last game.....we'd have also been 7-5 and an attractive team for the Outback Bowl.

In that case the Big Ten would have sent us to the Pinstripe. But maybe if we had simply lost to Wisconsin in that last game.....we'd have also been 7-5 and an attractive team for the Outback Bowl.

Nah. Gophs would have had to lose 2 more BG10 games to be attractive to the Outback committee.

I doubt it. They'd still have taken 6-6 MD to the Pinstripe. Why take a 6-6 Gopher team over a 6-6 MD team when they didn't want a 8-4 Gopher team? Guarantee Rate is the last bowl to select a team. We didn't have a lower option. Thought, admittedly, Phoenix is better than NY for a bowl in my mind.

I doubt it. They'd still have taken 6-6 MD to the Pinstripe. Why take a 6-6 Gopher team over a 6-6 MD team when they didn't want a 8-4 Gopher team? Guarantee Rate is the last bowl to select a team. We didn't have a lower option. Thought, admittedly, Phoenix is better than NY for a bowl in my mind.

As others have said....there isn't a draft for the bowls. There are better and worse bowls....no question. And I think Pinstripe is definitely the worst bowl of the bunch.

We were placed in Arizona so the conference sells more tickets in Arizona and Nashville

simple as that. It wasn’t a Passover
Ticket sales to a bowl game more important than actual wins..........

Who is to blame for all this? PJ Fleck and for hiring Mike Sanford, Jr.

Who in their right mind would trust analytics to go for it in the short end toward the BGSU end zone? The Gophers not respecting their opponents, and the failure of Sanford, Jr. to make adjustments cost the team three winnable games this season.

Iowa came from behind three times and won. That is because they know how to win.

They tried against Michigan, but Michigan out-coached them. If you want to see a textbook example of how to counter the adjustments made by Iowa or another team in the Second Half, re-watch the Big Ten Championship game between Michigan and Iowa.

In basketball today, the Gophers under Ben Johnson upset Mississippi State. They played team ball and spread the defense. In the second half, they change from zone to man-to-man, and to version of a combo to confuse Mississippi State.

An 8-4 record tethered to a BGSU boat anchor set The Boat on a lower coarse.

Initial read from a couple of boards is Bowling Green stands out to them...

1638747085814.png

Plus they don't think we can row up mountains...

All that should happen behind the scenes. Nothing to be gained by ripping the conference or the bowl in public. Not surprised at all to see Fleck and the U go for the positive spin. Would be foolish to do anything else in front of fans.
Sure. Sit back and accept being treated as third rate. Thank them for considering you third rate.

Things will no doubt change as a result of being so nice. IN public.

Sure. Sit back and accept being treated as third rate. Thank them for considering you third rate.

Things will no doubt change as a result of being so nice. IN public.
so sayeth the first rate high-achiever

I doubt it. They'd still have taken 6-6 MD to the Pinstripe.

That's the one that pisses me off the most. Maryland finished 6-6 and was destroyed by us but they go to a higher rated bowl.

Texas BowlL 17–21December 27, 20132013Syracuse
We were pissing and moaning about Syracuse being our opponent. That didn’t turn out well. Furious about the Bowl, but now focus on WV

Yeah. I get the feeling the same thing will happen again. I remember someone on ESPN picking Minnesota as their top pick in the Bowl Pick'em game. I remember saying, "You don't know Minnesota sports teams very well." Hence that loss and a repeat incoming at a bowl we have had a bad history at as well. Also, the Georgia Tech game as well as mentioned above. Hence, we are in for a letdown.

Well, at least this bowl isn't on the NFL Network anymore. I had to search for a bar/restaurant to watch this bowl in the past. I ended up at a place called Wild Bill's, fun time to start with at least.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the B1G decides which teams play in which Bowl games. I believe that is up to the individual bowl committees. I don't know if the conference lobbies for certain teams to go to certain bowls, but in the end, the bowls are the ones that extend invitations.

and the bowls are looking at their own criteria - including which teams may generate more ticket sales or attendance.

Like it or not, Penn State is more of a football brand name compared to Minnesota.

if the Gophers want to be invited to better bowl games, then they need to win more games - and avoid "bad" losses.

If the Gophers had beaten Bowling Green and Illinois, we are not having this discussion. The Gophers put themselves in this position by the games they won and lost. Swearing at Kevin Warren isn't going to fix that.

Let's be honest...all games outside the CFP are merely the first spring practice game. I expect all our NFL hopeful players to sit this out and prep for the combines.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the B1G decides which teams play in which Bowl games. I believe that is up to the individual bowl committees. I don't know if the conference lobbies for certain teams to go to certain bowls, but in the end, the bowls are the ones that extend invitations.

and the bowls are looking at their own criteria - including which teams may generate more ticket sales or attendance.

Like it or not, Penn State is more of a football brand name compared to Minnesota.

if the Gophers want to be invited to better bowl games, then they need to win more games - and avoid "bad" losses.

If the Gophers had beaten Bowling Green and Illinois, we are not having this discussion. The Gophers put themselves in this position by the games they won and lost. Swearing at Kevin Warren isn't going to fix that.

This doesn't hold up. Let's look at PSU only. They are 7-5 and 4-5 in conference. So it's not about W's and L's. They share 3 L's with us as well as having the extra 2 in conference and 1 overall.

The Gophers sent over 8,000 fans to the Outback Bowl and were lauded by the local Tampa community and Outback Bowl for how they showed up and in mass. So it's not about attendance.

You can say it's because we were just in the Outback Bowl 2 years ago, but that doesn't support the drop from Outback to Guarantee Rate and doesn't answer why WI isn't in Outback then.

Yea, No one is likely to show for Guarantee Rate. It's an odd date, late night, and too expensive to justify going. $989 for a hotel and 'Sota Social package that doesn't include the game or travel? $800 airfare (maybe $650 on Spirit)? So, we won't sell well and that will be used against us. Even though our strong showing in Tampa isn't a credit.

There's more to this.

This doesn't hold up. Let's look at PSU only. They are 7-5 and 4-5 in conference. So it's not about W's and L's. They share 3 L's with us as well as having the extra 2 in conference and 1 overall.

The Gophers sent over 8,000 fans to the Outback Bowl and were lauded by the local Tampa community and Outback Bowl for how they showed up and in mass. So it's not about attendance.

You can say it's because we were just in the Outback Bowl 2 years ago, but that doesn't support the drop from Outback to Guarantee Rate and doesn't answer why WI isn't in Outback then.

Yea, No one is likely to show for Guarantee Rate. It's an odd date, late night, and too expensive to justify going. $989 for a hotel and 'Sota Social package that doesn't include the game or travel? $800 airfare (maybe $650 on Spirit)? So, we won't sell well and that will be used against us. Even though our strong showing in Tampa isn't a credit.

There's more to this.

PSU with a losing conference record. A first for the Outback. I get the Outback selecting either Wiscy or Purdue instead of MN, but a team with a losing conference record? I agree. There's more to this.

I don't normally say this during bowl season, but I hope PSU, WI, and Purdue are all embarrassed. Badly. The bowls don't care who wins, but they care if the score is close and the games are entertaining. Yes, tickets are already sold, but TV ratings also matter. The B1G cares that the conference shows well.

If you're going to place teams not on the competitive matchups of the teams and solely on attendance or whatever secret formula, you deserve that. A losing conference record should not get you on New Year's Day. I want scores that have the TV's turned off by half-time.

It's supposed to be prestigious to play on New Year's Day, something you earn. I no longer feel that way. Other than the Gophers have to do 2 wins better than the next team to "earn" what they get.

Top Bottom