Gophers v Northwestern

ncgo4

Reaction score
This may be the key game for our season. NWU has had our number under Fitz. Both are coming off very big wins. What does Minn have to do to win this game? We need to run better than Wisconsin. They had a lot of yards, but most was in a few long runs. We will need to consistently get 4 and 5 yards. Passing, if Mitch plays like he did last week our passing will be much better than Wiscy was today. On D we need to play like last week and cover like a blanket. Special Teams...stay good!

We can beat NWU, but we will need our "A" game in all 3 areas. Go Gops

I'm concerned about this game. We need to be very focused for this game. If we can control the line of scrimmage and complete a few passes I think we will be okay.

If Cobb can run as well as Gordon and they don't turn it over in the red zone then gophers win easily. Bagders lost because of their poorly timed turnovers and the d isn't as good as last year to make up for offensive mistakes. I agree that if Mitch plays like he did in Ann Arbor then gophers have a good chance but I'm less confident about this game than I was 2 weeks ago. Northwestern looks like they might be better than predicted

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gophers will have to play their best game so far. Northwestern is improving week to week.

Heard on TV during the Wis./NW game that Northwestern's freshman running back was the #1 recruit out of Illinois last year. That had to be huge for NW. Looks like he is the real deal. I don't know how they could struggle like they did early in the year against inferior teams and then beat Penn State/Wis. back to back.

No turnovers, none. The Wildcats have had 7 or 8 turnovers in the past two games. And they have been interceptions for 6, field changers, it has been the key along with their passing game. The QB is accurate. Wisconsin got just a little too cute. When they should have fed the ball to Gordon, they threw it 29 times completed 12 for 41% with 4 picks. For all those who call for the passing game, pound the rock against Northwestern. I would like to see Cobb carry about 35 times.

This game for us will be intensity. Taking this game for granted is foolish. Northwestern may be a bit tired so we need to bring it big time with a good balance on offense and continue to be aggressive on defense. We have more speed and are better up front so there is no excuse.

Gophers will have to play their best game so far. Northwestern is improving week to week.

This will be the second best team we have faced this year (TCU being the best) and they have to be playing with a lot of confidence coming off wins against Penn State and Wisconsin. Being at home I like our chances but the offense is going to have to take care of the football.

I don't know how they could struggle like they did early in the year against inferior teams and then beat Penn State/Wis. back to back.

I have the answer to this. It is what makes CFB so great. In no other sport do teams improve or fall apart quicker. Young kids, less time to prepare than NFL, different motivations, and so much more. It is part of the reason we looked so bad vs TCU then looked so good versus MI. The sport is unpredictable. Teams surprise or lay eggs all the time. Things change SO much from Sept. to Nov. You just can't read too much into any game.

I have the answer to this. It is what makes CFB so great. In no other sport do teams improve or fall apart quicker. Young kids, less time to prepare than NFL, different motivations, and so much more. It is part of the reason we looked so bad vs TCU then looked so good versus MI. The sport is unpredictable. Teams surprise or lay eggs all the time. Things change SO much from Sept. to Nov. You just can't read too much into any game.

Yep, it's the same reason why Indiana can lose to Bowling Green and then go on the road to beat Missouri.

If only people here could realize this. Then maybe they wouldn't have a melt down after every loss.:rolleyes:

The Gophers have positive momentum coming off the Michigan win, plus two weeks to get healthy & game plan for Northwestern. We go 8-9 deep with legitimate DB's & our DL & LB's are mobile. NW is coming off two hugely emotional games for them. In college football there's often a letdown after a big win (or two). I'd also guess NW is looking ahead a bit. If they beat us, they host Nebraska at home to go 5-2, with Michigan, Purdue & Illinois still on the schedule. I really like this spot for the Gophers.

I fully expect to see Streveler running zone reads about 15 times in this game and Leidner throwing no more than 10 times in a Gopher victory as we run for 300 plus with zero turnovers!

NU has beaten nationally ranked and one loss Wisconsin and previously unbeaten Penn St in Happy Valley in the past 2 weeks. The Gophers have beaten Michigan who is one of the worst teams in the B1G. NU is now healthy, have a much better passing game than the Gophers and have a rising star at RB in Justin Jackson. Their pass defense includes very solid DBs and LBs and a 2 quality pass rushers in Lowery and Odenigbo. If the Gophers' running game is ineffective they will lose IMO.

NU has beaten nationally ranked and one loss Wisconsin and previously unbeaten Penn St in Happy Valley in the past 2 weeks. The Gophers have beaten Michigan who is one of the worst teams in the B1G. NU is now healthy, have a much better passing game than the Gophers and have a rising star at RB in Justin Jackson. Their pass defense includes very solid DBs and LBs and a 2 quality pass rushers in Lowery and Odenigbo. If the Gophers' running game is ineffective they will lose IMO.

I don't see any reason why it would be ineffective after they rushed for 280+ on them.

If the Gophers' running game is ineffective they will lose IMO.

That is one crazy prediction. I might speculate that holds true in every game we play this year.

We'll run all over NU, just have to make sure we take care of the ball.

I would venture to say NU's wins in each of the last two weeks had a SIGNIFICANT amount to do with playing a couple of teams who were over-looking NU. Let's face it, how could you take NU very seriously with how they started the season.

With two weeks to prepare and a couple of game tapes to review of NU playing their best ball, the Gophers are in a good position here. No other way to say it, this is pretty much a must-win for the Gophers to have a respectable season.

The Gophers have positive momentum coming off the Michigan win, plus two weeks to get healthy & game plan for Northwestern. We go 8-9 deep with legitimate DB's & our DL & LB's are mobile. NW is coming off two hugely emotional games for them. In college football there's often a letdown after a big win (or two). I'd also guess NW is looking ahead a bit. If they beat us, they host Nebraska at home to go 5-2, with Michigan, Purdue & Illinois still on the schedule. I really like this spot for the Gophers.

I think the timing is huge. Very likely they have a let-down. Not only do the Gophers have the week to heal, but Kill has that time to get their attention again.

A couple things I noticed watching most of the Wisconsin game.
- NW had Wisconsin in poor field position a lot. I think their punter had his first touchback of the season yesterday. They will punt at 4th and 5 from your 38 and you'll think they're nuts until they drop it on your two. Getting that first 1st down after a punt will be a big deal.
- They struggled with the run but it was mostly Gordon. Clement who's just good didn't light it up, but had some nice runs. I think Cobb will have success.
- Wisconsin got little pressure with their front four and NW is good enough throwing the ball to kill you if they have time.
- NW has an interesting run game. They had success with some runs that seem to start more east west but out of a shotgun set. Someone who knows more about football than me can explain it but it appeared that the blocking scheme was more of a zone blocking scheme on these plays - the NW line blocked the defender once the play had started to develop, taking him whichever way he was going - letting the runner decide where the hole was. These were off tackle plays and UW had a heck of a time with them. I'm so used to seeing read option from the shotgun where the back is running a dive that this just looked different. Would be great to hear one of our guru's describe this game and how to stop it.
- All of that said, NW got lucky. Gordon had a ton of yards and Stave inexplicably threw across his body for an interception while rolling right on 1st and goal from the four. It was a terrible unforced error. If UW had scored on that drive I believe they'd have retaken the lead eventually. They still might not have won, but as it was they simply ran out of time.

I believe the Gophers can beat NW and can't wait for the game.

No turnovers, none. The Wildcats have had 7 or 8 turnovers in the past two games. And they have been interceptions for 6, field changers, it has been the key along with their passing game. The QB is accurate. Wisconsin got just a little too cute. When they should have fed the ball to Gordon, they threw it 29 times completed 12 for 41% with 4 picks. For all those who call for the passing game, pound the rock against Northwestern. I would like to see Cobb carry about 35 times.

I would add pound it right up the middle. I am not so sure they would hold up as well to that. It seemed that Wisconsin kept trying the edges. I only saw a small sample of plays, so I could be way off, but I don't think so. Northwesterns defense plays fast. Running to the edge just seemed to give them the opportunity to get back into the play via pursuit angles. We may need to play this game the San Jose way...

They lost to freaking CAL. STFU. You scored 24 points against a team that gives up 50+ points a game. Good luck getting anything on our defense. That's directed at the fans who think this is a game they should win on the road.

Gophs win 24-10

Top Bottom