Gophers Still Have A Good Chance at NCAA Berth

Should have beat Purdue? I don't think that's the way most people are going to remember tonight. I think they'll remember Purdue being up 26-14 (or something), and then Hummel going down after scoring 11 of those.

That doesn't take away from the fact that the Gophers controlled the portion of the game without Hummel and should have won this specific game. Absolutely should have. Nine point lead with nine minutes left. Four point lead with 90 seconds left.

Sure, if Hummel remained healthy, it looked like a PU runaway. But, that isn't how the game played out. Minnesota controlled the game, Purdue looked lost on offense for about 17 minutes. Grant hit two big shots late to win it.

In the world of "should have wons" this was definitely a "should have won" for Minnesota.

We cab definitely still get in Saturdays game at Illinois is huge Bracket School still has us on its first four out list http://www.bracketschool.com/

Go Gophers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you. That comment really bothered me as well. It should've been a win because of how the game played out. The fact that Purdue is better and that Hummel got hurt are irrelevant to the argument that we should've won because of how the game turned out.

That doesn't take away from the fact that the Gophers controlled the portion of the game without Hummel and should have won this specific game. Absolutely should have. Nine point lead with nine minutes left. Four point lead with 90 seconds left.

Sure, if Hummel remained healthy, it looked like a PU runaway. But, that isn't how the game played out. Minnesota controlled the game, Purdue looked lost on offense for about 17 minutes. Grant hit two big shots late to win it.

In the world of "should have wons" this was definitely a "should have won" for Minnesota.

Learn your rules, Learn your rules, If you don't you'll be eaten by a bear.

Love the moniker.

Really?! Nobody had any idea that you thought that!

You've been fighting me the entire way but all along, from my very first prognostication, I have been right on. You might not like my methodology, but you should learn to like my accuracy. Just think the pain you might have missed out on if you would have realized earlier on that I was right and this was just a mediocre team. You and the Schrute boy can keep thinking we are destined for greatness.

The only way we make the NCAA's is to win the big ten tourney. Doesn't look likely. But keep cheering every game and always support the team!

The only way we make the NCAA's is to win the big ten tourney. Doesn't look likely. But keep cheering every game and always support the team!
Watch out, you might get burned at the stake around here for saying that the Gophers winning the BTT looks unlikely.

Last I checked there's still the BTT, and I never said you were wrong about predicting the NIT. I just said, like many others, that you don't need to tell us that 50 times. We get it. What else were you accurate about besides something that hasn't even happened yet? Just curious. You came to this board saying we were a mediocre team after we had lost a ton of games. Good work. Where did I say this wasn't a mediocre team btw?

You've been fighting me the entire way but all along, from my very first prognostication, I have been right on. You might not like my methodology, but you should learn to like my accuracy. Just think the pain you might have missed out on if you would have realized earlier on that I was right and this was just a mediocre team. You and the Schrute boy can keep thinking we are destined for greatness.

If The Gophers Win out, lets face the facts, We are In the NCAA Touney!! If We Don't We are in the NIT. The Schrute Home says never give up!

- Hopefully the NCAA will take it into account that we should have beat Michigan State and Purdue!

- Lets hope the NCAA selection committee takes it into account that we lost two of our top recruits

- We likely should have between 25-27 wins by not losing our top recruits and by winning games we should not have lost. Like Obamba projecting the number of jobs saved by the stimulous, I am projecting the games we would have/should have won. Lets hope the selection committee thinks like Obamba....

- Its time to be positive

I would rather see someone with a positive attitude than a negative one.
You are definitely positive and that's always a good thing for a fan to be.

RE: Should have beaten Mich St and Purdue.
The NCAA does not look at who you should have beaten, they look at who you did beat.
Otherwise they could just fill in the brackets at the start of the year by looking over a
teams schedule Team A SHOULD beat Team B and so on.

RE: Losing top recruits.
They base it on how you played with what you have. ALL teams face adversity. Purdue
just lost their top player. Other teams have lost players this season for one reason or
another and those teams play on.

If there is a bright spot for the Gophers as of late it is this.
The NCAA puts more weight on how you finish the season as opposed to how you start.
They like to see teams playing better at the end of the year. In spite of the Purdue loss
the Gophers have been playing better the last week. If they can win out the last 3 and
make a STRONG BTT run then who knows? Never say never. I do think the NCAA would
like to see Tubby get in and if they were on the last team in and it was a tie between
Tubby and another coach and all else was equal I think the Gophers would get the nod.

All they can do is play their best, win the games and see what happens. If its the NIT
this year then so be it. It could be a great tool to learn from and to use for next year.

Keep up the attitude though, it can't hurt

I would rather see someone with a positive attitude than a negative one.
You are definitely positive and that's always a good thing for a fan to be.

RE: Should have beaten Mich St and Purdue.
The NCAA does not look at who you should have beaten, they look at who you did beat.
Otherwise they could just fill in the brackets at the start of the year by looking over a
teams schedule Team A SHOULD beat Team B and so on.

RE: Losing top recruits.
They base it on how you played with what you have. ALL teams face adversity. Purdue
just lost their top player. Other teams have lost players this season for one reason or
another and those teams play on.

If there is a bright spot for the Gophers as of late it is this.
The NCAA puts more weight on how you finish the season as opposed to how you start.
They like to see teams playing better at the end of the year. In spite of the Purdue loss
the Gophers have been playing better the last week. If they can win out the last 3 and
make a STRONG BTT run then who knows? Never say never. I do think the NCAA would
like to see Tubby get in and if they were on the last team in and it was a tie between
Tubby and another coach and all else was equal I think the Gophers would get the nod.

All they can do is play their best, win the games and see what happens. If its the NIT
this year then so be it. It could be a great tool to learn from and to use for next year.

Keep up the attitude though, it can't hurt

Half the people in here are in a Wacker/Brewster type of positivity cult that denies reality at all costs. Its ridiculous and sad. Being positive is a good thing as long as its based in reality, but all these jokers in here who keep thinking we can get to the big dance are only fooling themselves. This team has a long way to go and the quicker they realize this the quicker we will start to get better as we accurately realize the predicament we are in.

Way to respond. I guess you were wrong.

Half the people in here are in a Wacker/Brewster type of positivity cult that denies reality at all costs. Its ridiculous and sad. Being positive is a good thing as long as its based in reality, but all these jokers in here who keep thinking we can get to the big dance are only fooling themselves. This team has a long way to go and the quicker they realize this the quicker we will start to get better as we accurately realize the predicament we are in.

I don't think anyone is denying reality. There's nothing wrong with keeping hope alive until all possible scenerios have exhausted themselves. There's certainly nothing 'ridiculous and sad' about it. That would more aptly describe you.

Believing that a team that's lost tons of close games this year, might eventually catch a break and win a couple is not unreasonable. The fans on this message board don't need to quit 'fooling themelves and start to get better.' What does that even mean? We have no direct impact on the direction of the team. How will Gopher basketball be better off if we all accept NIT fate? The team surely has not accepted this yet, and either way there's nothing to be gained from it, save slightly increasing the playing time of one or two people.

Face it, you're a border-line troll who gets off on being able to say 'I screamed NIT first!'. Hardly a great accomplishment. But whatever makes you feel better about yourself.

howeda

I don't think anyone is denying reality. There's nothing wrong with keeping hope alive until all possible scenerios have exhausted themselves. There's certainly nothing 'ridiculous and sad' about it. That would more aptly describe you.

Believing that a team that's lost tons of close games this year, might eventually catch a break and win a couple is not unreasonable. The fans on this message board don't need to quit 'fooling themelves and start to get better.' What does that even mean? We have no direct impact on the direction of the team. How will Gopher basketball be better off if we all accept NIT fate? The team surely has not accepted this yet, and either way there's nothing to be gained from it, save slightly increasing the playing time of one or two people.

Face it, you're a border-line troll who gets off on being able to say 'I screamed NIT first!'. Hardly a great accomplishment. But whatever makes you feel better about yourself.

I have to think Art or BGF was first!

In any case, that accomplishment and $4 will get you a nice cup of joe at Starbucks.

:D

If we win our last three games and two in the tournament......I think we will still have a shot.

I have to think Art or BGF was first!

In any case, that accomplishment and $4 will get you a nice cup of joe at Starbucks.

:D

I believe I was the first to say this team was NIT bound. Search the Archives...Quit trying to trump my accuracy and logic.

I think Tubby is a realist and does not sugar coat things, nor does he give the boys false hope. He knows they need to dig deeper to reach the next level. That is why I am a big Tubby fan.

Being a Sid Hartman, Tim Brewster, Jim Wacker Positivinarian gets you nothing other then massive disappointment when you realize the energy you expelled was false while blindly following a mediocre team. I just hope some of those who hit bottom can recover without another prescription added to the list.

I just read a book called "How We Decide" by Jonah Lehrer and he talks about some studies that were done on political prognosticators and their accuracy in predicting the elections. These were some of the top experts in the nation. They found in these studies those who could not predict outcomes usually committed the central error, diagnosed by the researcher Tetlock, which was the "sin of certainty". When pundits were convinced that they were right, they ignored any inner brain areas that implied they might be wrong. The people on television (or in the GH) who are most certain are almost certainly going to be wrong. As Tetlock writes, "The dominant danger [for pundits] remains hubris, the vice of closed-mindedness, of dismissing dissonant possibilities too quickly."

I think many in this room fall into the trap of Hubris and definitely prefer to dismiss different ideas too quickly, thus are probably consistently wrong.

I believe I was the first to say this team was NIT bound. Search the Archives...Quit trying to trump my accuracy and logic.

I think Tubby is a realist and does not sugar coat things, nor does he give the boys false hope. He knows they need to dig deeper to reach the next level. That is why I am a big Tubby fan.

Being a Sid Hartman, Tim Brewster, Jim Wacker Positivinarian gets you nothing other then massive disappointment when you realize the energy you expelled was false while blindly following a mediocre team. I just hope some of those who hit bottom can recover without another prescription added to the list.

I just read a book called "How We Decide" by Jonah Lehrer and he talks about some studies that were done on political prognosticators and their accuracy in predicting the elections. These were some of the top experts in the nation. They found in these studies those who could not predict outcomes usually committed the central error, diagnosed by the researcher Tetlock, which was the "sin of certainty". When pundits were convinced that they were right, they ignored any inner brain areas that implied they might be wrong. The people on television (or in the GH) who are most certain are almost certainly going to be wrong. As Tetlock writes, "The dominant danger [for pundits] remains hubris, the vice of closed-mindedness, of dismissing dissonant possibilities too quickly."

I think many in this room fall into the trap of Hubris and definitely prefer to dismiss different ideas too quickly, thus are probably consistently wrong.

You can put lipstick on a pig, it's still a pig.
You can wrap pseudo-logic and fancy quotes around your cynicism, it's still cynicism.

I di think if they win the last 2 and 2 in the B10 tourney they will be in. But anything less than that and I dont even think they are on the bubble

Dude, why does it bother you when people hold on to hope? Big deal! People on here are passionate Gopher fans. Isn't the word fan derived from fanatic? Gophers lose their next two, I'm still all about them winning the Big Ten Tourney. Why not?

112 of 116 teams with 10 wins in major conferences went to the NCAA tournament in recent years, since tournament expansion, but two of the four that have missed did so in the last two years.

mac

112 of 116 teams with 10 wins in major conferences went to the NCAA tournament in recent years, since tournament expansion, but two of the four that have missed did so in the last two years.

Yes, and one of the other two was the 1996 Golden Gophers!

:mad:

Might be one of the stupidest things I've ever read on GH.

If people choose to be hopeful, why do you care? I don't think many people here believe there is a scenario that makes us a lock other than winning the BTT. But if we win 4 more games, I think we are definitely a bubble team. Aren't true fans suppose to hope for the best? (unless you want the coach to get fired)

I have no problem with you giving up any hope of this team making the tourney, but let others have their opinions as well. Just because you have given up on this team doesn't mean we have to.

Tourney Chances if the gophers

Win the next two and:
beat a top 5 team in the conference in the BTT = lock
Avoid a bad loss (to a bottom 5 team in the conference) = 70%
Have a bad loss = 40%

Win one of the next two and:
Win 3 BTT games = lock
Win 2 BTT games = 40%
Win 1 BTT game = 10%
Win 0 BTT games = Out

Win 0 of the next 2:
Win 4 BTT games = Automatic Bid
Win 3 BTT games = 20%
Win 2 BTT games = Out

Tourney Chances if the gophers

Win the next two and:
beat a top 5 team in the conference in the BTT = lock
Avoid a bad loss (to a bottom 5 team in the conference) = 70%
Have a bad loss = 40%

Win one of the next two and:
Win 3 BTT games = lock
Win 2 BTT games = 40%
Win 1 BTT game = 10%
Win 0 BTT games = Out

Win 0 of the next 2:
Win 4 BTT games = Automatic Bid
Win 3 BTT games = 20%
Win 2 BTT games = Out

We have to win the next two, which we should then win at least 2 in the Big 10 Tourney to even be on the bubble. That would give us 21 wins. We have to win our next 2 or else we would have to win the Big 10 tourney. This win at Illinois was a pleasant surprise and kept the dream alive!

Should have beat Purdue? I don't think that's the way most people are going to remember tonight. I think they'll remember Purdue being up 26-14 (or something), and then Hummel going down after scoring 11 of those.

I see no one feeling sorry for us that our best player wasn't on the court, or our best rebounded, or our starting PG.

We have to win the next two, which we should then win at least 2 in the Big 10 Tourney to even be on the bubble. That would give us 21 wins. We have to win our next 2 or else we would have to win the Big 10 tourney. This win at Illinois was a pleasant surprise and kept the dream alive!

you are dumb and no absolutely nothing about bracketology.
They win the next 2 and they have to win 2 to even be on the bubble?

I'll have what you're having

you are dumb and no absolutely nothing about bracketology.
They win the next 2 and they have to win 2 to even be on the bubble?

I'll have what you're having

I guess I missed something. We need to get to at least 21 wins to be even looked at for NCAA tourney. Why is this statement outlandish? I think 22 wins would be a certainty but 21 will likely not get us there.

I knew the loss to Purdue would launch us into a good run. We just need to keep it going. Like I have said many times, that Purdue loss was a good loss and will be the reason we will make it to the dance. We just need to win 3 more games and I think we are in the show. This ILL win showed my theory might be correct. We just need to remember the Purdue loss and use this to propell our season. Let's keep it positive and we will continue to win.

No, we clearly need to get 30 wins and 15 conference wins if we want to be looked at. Anything less and were in the CBI. Right?

Top Bottom