Gophers' Salamon, Notre Dame's Floyd cited for drinking

Reaction score
Not a real big deal, at least not for Shady IMO. I don't know anyone that didn't drink underage in college. If he was driving it would be different. Floyd was apparently involved in a fight, though, and had blood on his hands.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/g...P4O:DW3ckUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aUac8HEaDiaMDCinchO7DUs

According to the University of Minnesota police report, two men later identified as Floyd, 20, and Salamon, 19, were seen running and getting into a vehicle driven by a young woman. After stopping the vehicle, police noticed that Floyd, seated in the driver's side back seat, had blood on his hands, feet and shirt. Floyd told police that he had been involved in an altercation with a Somali male at a house party, and admitted he had been drinking.

Salamon was in the backseat on the passenger side, and according to the report had "slurred slow speech and had blood shot watery eyes.'' Salamon also admitted he had been drinking.

The driver of the car, Casey Marylee Radcliffe, 20, attempted to leave the scene with Salamon still in the backseat as police were writing a citation. Radcliffe was charged with DWI, obstructing the legal process and underage drinking. Two other young men at the scene were cited for underage drinking.

Not a real big deal, at least not for Shady IMO. I don't know anyone that didn't drink underage in college. If he was driving it would be different. Floyd was apparently involved in a fight, though, and had blood on his hands.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/g...P4O:DW3ckUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aUac8HEaDiaMDCinchO7DUs

According to the University of Minnesota police report, two men later identified as Floyd, 20, and Salamon, 19, were seen running and getting into a vehicle driven by a young woman. After stopping the vehicle, police noticed that Floyd, seated in the driver's side back seat, had blood on his hands, feet and shirt. Floyd told police that he had been involved in an altercation with a Somali male at a house party, and admitted he had been drinking.

Salamon was in the backseat on the passenger side, and according to the report had "slurred slow speech and had blood shot watery eyes.'' Salamon also admitted he had been drinking.

The driver of the car, Casey Marylee Radcliffe, 20, attempted to leave the scene with Salamon still in the backseat as police were writing a citation. Radcliffe was charged with DWI, obstructing the legal process and underage drinking. Two other young men at the scene were cited for underage drinking.

Floyd and Shady aside...WTF was this girl thinking? As drunk as I've ever been, I would never have thought to try something like this.

This is exactly why we cooled on Floyd, didn't want that kind of trouble on the team.:rolleyes:

This is exactly why we cooled on Floyd, didn't want that kind of trouble on the team.:rolleyes:

Damnit. Was looking for a way to spin that. You're wit is clearly superior to mine. :)

Nice work.

Not that big a deal? haha You guys danced around like Al Capone was in Iowa City whenever we had a simple minor in possession or public intox. Now you have a guy involved in what amounts to a riot scene--AGAIN--and it's no big deal??:eek:

At what point do we wonder what the hell is going on? I am not a Masonite, but does anyone remember more bad pub in such a short time for football?

Not that big a deal? haha You guys danced around like Al Capone was in Iowa City whenever we had a simple minor in possession or public intox. Now you have a guy involved in what amounts to a riot scene--AGAIN--and it's no big deal??:eek:

You're absolutely RIGHT! Brian Kelly's squad is out of control and he's GOT to go!:eek:

Sounds like if it's not for Michael Floyd, then this was just a regular night out.

If we have a team full of guys who don't drink underage, we're 0-11, every year.

Front page news in Twin Cities.....sports brief paragraph page 6C in South Bend

Blah. I assume Shady will have some 5am appointments with a graduate assistant.

If I'm Michael Floyd I'm definitely going to be spending as much of my free time as possible with Somali street gangs. So I can't blame him there.

There might be more impact to this story than you might think. Apparently, regardless of what happens to Floyd from a legal standpoint, he will probably have to go in front of the Office of Residence Life, some type of judicial body for students at ND. From some of the comments I've read this is a pretty hardass group that does not take kindly to the great ND name being tarnished. Some are already speculating that Floyd could be gone. Maybe he'll transfer back here where he can drink with the whole team.

Well that would be a bonus. Highly doubt that ND is going to boot Floyd though.

he will probably have to go in front of the Office of Residence Life, some type of judicial body for students at ND. From some of the comments I've read this is a pretty hardass group that does not take kindly to the great ND name being tarnished.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gldlyTjXk9A&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gldlyTjXk9A&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I was at a new years party at UST and Floyd showed up. He made sure there were no pictures taken of him around alcohol despite the fact that he was clearly inebriated already. Based on the conversation I had with him he seemed like he would be the type to fight rather than walk away from a bad situation. I also went to high school with Casey Radcliffe...very odd indeed.

Sounds as if Floyd would fit right in at the UM.

Get a grip Brewster.

Until there's facts about something more serious involving Salamon, let's not make it more than what it is, o.k.?

Sounds as if Floyd would fit right in at the UM.

Get a grip Brewster.

Oh, nice! Let's place responsibility right where it belongs - on the football coach. Have you figured out yet that consumption by minor doesn't bother any of these young people? When I was in HS and college such citations were seldom written, but now? They're like parking tickets on college campuses.

Taken alone, this is not a big deal. Added to the heap of other incidents, it's another indictment of the general lack of discipline in the program. There have been more of these 'minor incdidents' in Brew's 3 years then Mason had in 10.

Taken alone, this is not a big deal. Added to the heap of other incidents, it's another indictment of the general lack of discipline in the program. There have been more of these 'minor incdidents' in Brew's 3 years then Mason had in 10.

Didn't one of Mason's players get shot and die?
Perhaps underage drinking shouldn't be grounds for firing coaches. Or Ferentz would be unemployed.

Didn't one of Mason's players get shot and die?
Perhaps underage drinking shouldn't be grounds for firing coaches. Or Ferentz would be unemployed.

Yes. That was tragic. It was also one of the only incidents in 10 years. I didn't say it was grounds for firing. I said it was one more incident in a series that is indicitive of the lack of discipline in this program.

Yes. That was tragic. It was also one of the only incidents in 10 years. I didn't say it was grounds for firing. I said it was one more incident in a series that is indicitive of the lack of discipline in this program.

Dominick Jones???????????????

How about michigan, Michigan, Wisconsin, Texas Tech............ We won't remember Minor consumption tickets that occur in January BUT we will always remember those games.

At what point do we wonder what the hell is going on? I am not a Masonite, but does anyone remember more bad pub in such a short time for football?

This happens in all programs. The school, police department, media, and those involved affect how big or small it becomes.

Although Mason teams didn't seem to have as many problems, he did have a player shot and killed in downtown MPLS.

FWIW, the story is one of the main stories on Chicagotribune.com today. No mention of Shady. :)

No amount of discipline will stop COLLEGE kids from drinking. None. No matter how hard you try, no matter what discipline you try to dish out, it will not stop them from drinking. To sit here and say this is indicative of Brew's lack of a disciplined team is a bunch of crap. This happens EVERYWHERE and it comes with the territory.

Anyone who never touched a drop of alcohol before they were 21 please say so in this thread.

No amount of discipline will stop COLLEGE kids from drinking. None. No matter how hard you try, no matter what discipline you try to dish out, it will not stop them from drinking. To sit here and say this is indicative of Brew's lack of a disciplined team is a bunch of crap. This happens EVERYWHERE and it comes with the territory.

Anyone who never touched a drop of alcohol before they were 21 please say so in this thread.

I'm not saying that, and I know most people can't. However, most people still had enough sense not to go out and get cited for DUI, public intoxication, assault, etc. Discipline may not STOP them, but it will instill enough fear of god in them to use common sense and not do anything stupid, like get in a car with someone who's falling down drunk, punch a security guard or get into a fight so intense you have blood all over you.

I'm not saying that, and I know most people can't. However, most people still had enough sense not to go out and get cited for DUI, public intoxication, assault, etc. Discipline may not STOP them, but it will instill enough fear of god in them to use common sense and not do anything stupid, like get in a car with someone who's falling down drunk, punch a security guard or get into a fight so intense you have blood all over you.

No, you are just wrong. No amount of discipline will work, and I know first hand from being in the military that all those things you listed happen quite often, usually every weekend.

get into a fight so intense you have blood all over you.

So if they slapped each other repeatedly it would be okay?

No, you are just wrong. No amount of discipline will work, and I know first hand from being in the military that all those things you listed happen quite often, usually every weekend.

We may have to agree to disagree. I got in far less trouble then many of my friends. Why? Becuase I was just a better person? No. Because I knew what would happen to me when my parents found out would be much more severe then what would happen to them. Being a college football coach is not unlike trying to be a parent to 100 18 year old kids. How do you explain why some programs have all sorts of incidents of this nature and others have almost none? Dumb luck? Some coaches clearly have stronger discipline and teach thier kids how to avoid these types of situations. That doesn't mean they're choir boys who never touch alcohol, but they are tought to keep some level of common sense, and know that what will happen to them if they don't will likey be far more severe then what is 'handled internally.'

Ok, correct me if I'm wrong, but Shady wasn't charged with any of that. The DUI was the girl and the blood/fighting was Floyd. According to the article Shady wasn't implicated in the fight and the girl made her own stupid decision. Shady is not blameless, but he's guilty of drinking around idiots while under 21. This is not uncommon for athletes or regular students. Lots of folks have friends/acquaintances who are drunk idiots.

The fact that the players keep getting busted suggests that yes, they need to cool it and learn their lesson (UMPD cops don't give 2 craps about drunk underagers overall...just the ones who act stupid). So I'm not saying there isn't a decision making/discipline problem. But there are many ways in which this could be worse and I think we should try not to blow it out of proportion.

Top Bottom