Gophers' Salamon, Notre Dame's Floyd cited for drinking

We may have to agree to disagree. I got in far less trouble then many of my friends. Why? Becuase I was just a better person? No. Because I knew what would happen to me when my parents found out would be much more severe then what would happen to them. Being a college football coach is not unlike trying to be a parent to 100 18 year old kids. How do you explain why some programs have all sorts of incidents of this nature and others have almost none? Dumb luck? Some coaches clearly have stronger discipline and teach thier kids how to avoid these types of situations. That doesn't mean they're choir boys who never touch alcohol, but they are tought to keep some level of common sense, and know that what will happen to them if they don't will likey be far more severe then what is 'handled internally.'

Here we are in a very competitive market. It's still a "two newspaper" town with four competitive TV stations and an all-sports station that has went from McHale as their whipping boy to Brewster. The T-wolves ineptitude is now hardly mentioned. The Pioneer Press won a Pulitzer for gosh sakes on a Gopher scandal! Many people out there are just waiting for the Gophers to screw-up so they can hammer them again.

Does anybody think that the University could bring pressure to bare on the local stations or newspapers to kill these stories?

Claret and his two buddies at Ohio State mouthed-off about all the troubles and then refused to talk to the NCAA. How many people in Columbus were pissed-off about their silence? The Tennessee Professor who said that many players weren't even doing their own course work had death threats and needed police protection. They players refused to talk to the NCAA. Here Ganglehoff admitted that SHE was the one to contact the Gophers and she came to be a hero and a martyr to the general public!:eek:

Carl Pohlad BEGGED Bud Selig to fold the Twins. He pleaded to be put out of business. Now the Twins are media darlings. The Vikings have convinced a big chunk of the public that coming-up with $700,000,000 of public money should be no problem. Brewster puts his home on the market in September and weeks later it's reported as a sign that finally "ding dong the witch is dead".

Nationwide this isn't a Gopher story, it's a Notre Dame one. Around here it's just another chance to take a shot at Brewster.

Even from Brewster kool-aid drinkers like you:banghead: howeda!

Here we are in a very competitive market. It's still a "two newspaper" town with four competitive TV stations and an all-sports station that has went from McHale as their whipping boy to Brewster. The T-wolves ineptitude is now hardly mentioned. The Pioneer Press won a Pulitzer for gosh sakes on a Gopher scandal! Many people out there are just waiting for the Gophers to screw-up so they can hammer them again.

Does anybody think that the University could bring pressure to bare on the local stations or newspapers to kill these stories?

Claret and his two buddies at Ohio State mouthed-off about all the troubles and then refused to talk to the NCAA. How many people in Columbus were pissed-off about their silence? The Tennessee Professor who said that many players weren't even doing their own course work had death threats and needed police protection. They players refused to talk to the NCAA. Here Ganglehoff admitted that SHE was the one to contact the Gophers and she came to be a hero and a martyr to the general public!:eek:

Carl Pohlad BEGGED Bud Selig to fold the Twins. He pleaded to be put out of business. Now the Twins are media darlings. The Vikings have convinced a big chunk of the public that coming-up with $700,000,000 of public money should be no problem. Brewster puts his home on the market in September and weeks later it's reported as a sign that finally "ding dong the witch is dead".

Nationwide this isn't a Gopher story, it's a Notre Dame one. Around here it's just another chance to take a shot at Brewster.

Even from Brewster kool-aid drinkers like you:banghead: howeda!

Don't try to pass this off as another 'evil media is out to get the Gophers' bit. The Star Tribune and Pioneer Press both reported this incident as well as Whaley's, etc. the same way any other newspaper would. It was reported in the Sports Section, not splashed on the front page like it was a huge deal. The Lynx (a team that literally 9 people care about) tradinig for Lyndsey Whalen got bigger headlines. I have not seen any local TV news lately, but I highly doubt it even garnered a mention there. The Whaley thing may have. Sure, KFAN treats the Gophers like crap. But 95% of people never listen to KFAN and half the 5% that do come on here to stew about how bad they treat the Gophers!

I suppose in some of the 'college town' markets they may be able to pressure silence now and then, but I don't think it's a general rule. I have a friend who worked in TV in Gainesville and he always talked about how much they would have 'loved' to bust the Gators on something.

Don't try to pass this off as another 'evil media is out to get the Gophers' bit. The Star Tribune and Pioneer Press both reported this incident as well as Whaley's, etc. the same way any other newspaper would. It was reported in the Sports Section, not splashed on the front page like it was a huge deal. The Lynx (a team that literally 9 people care about) trading for Lyndsey Whalen got bigger headlines. I have not seen any local TV news lately, but I highly doubt it even garnered a mention there. The Whaley thing may have. Sure, KFAN treats the Gophers like crap. But 95% of people never listen to KFAN and half the 5% that do come on here to stew about how bad they treat the Gophers!

I suppose in some of the 'college town' markets they may be able to pressure silence now and then, but I don't think it's a general rule. I have a friend who worked in TV in Gainesville and he always talked about how much they would have 'loved' to bust the Gators on something.

Uh, what? Oh I see it was the last sentence:

"Nationwide this isn't a Gopher story, it's a Notre Dame one. Around here it's just another chance to take a shot at Brewster." By "here" I meant Gopherhole.

- You're right about how this was reported. You're wrong if you don't think that they're digging deeply for stories around here.

- The post I referred to didn't talk about the Floyd incident, it was much broader then that. It asked "you explain why some programs have all sorts of incidents of this nature and others have almost none? Dumb luck? Some coaches clearly have stronger discipline and teach their kids how to avoid these types of situations. That doesn't mean they're choir boys who never touch alcohol, but they are thought to keep some level of common sense, and know that what will happen to them if they don't will likely be far more severe then what is 'handled internally.'"

- That supposes that the programs that have these incidents reported upon have discipline problems and where they are not reported it's because of strong discipline. Penn State, Minnesota, Florida, South Carolina and Iowa then are programs who's coaches have been without discipline while Alabama, Fresno State, Boise State and North Carolina are places with a lot of discipline. Other people besides myself would disagree.

- I'm not alone in thinking that it happens but it's hushed-up or would be ignored if the Gophers were 11-2 or 12-1. No, strike that, winning would only moderate the public response. Competition would keep it going.

- You're buddy might have loved to catch the Gators in something big but would the owner of the TV or radio station have loved to do it? The Gators under Meyer have had a lot of incidents. I don't recall a TV station or newspaper in Gainesville campaigning for Urban to lose his job.

- You just going to ignore the Ohio State and Tenn. incidents? Do you think if Ganglehoff had refused to testify it would have all gone away?

Your post asked why one place and not another not about the Floyd/Shady incident. Mine answered that. Sorry about the last sentence.

HOw many of you out there never drank when you were underage in college?? Point made!

Let's see now...I am 65 years old, started drinking when I was 19 (Legal in SD at that time), and haven't quit a day since. Someone, one time, asked me to define what it felt like to be sober. I answered, "I don't know if it is ignorance or apathy, but I don't know and I don't care." It's a great life, if ya don't weaken. :)

Not that big a deal? haha You guys danced around like Al Capone was in Iowa City whenever we had a simple minor in possession or public intox. Now you have a guy involved in what amounts to a riot scene--AGAIN--and it's no big deal??:eek:

And you never went out drinking and were involved in an altercation when you were in your teens. Yeah right.

I come from the school of thought of not drinking during season. My lust for alcohol was never greater then my competitive desire of winning.

And you never went out drinking and were involved in an altercation when you were in your teens. Yeah right.
Oh, I promise he never went out drinking. In fact he never went out anywhere. He's been a lonely, pathetic loser from day one, who spends most of his time typing on his Commodore 64 about Harry Potter and thinking of clever new ways to make fun of the Gophers.
354114082_l.jpg

Getting back to Floyd's future - the local paper says Floyd can't know what to expect from the Office of Residence Life, but Weis called this judicial group the greatest on campus problem for the football team and says he had "tons" of issues with that group.

Dominick Jones???????????????QUOTE]

Brewster was the coach when that happened. And regardless of who was at the helm, its very cheap and petty to blame either coach for the despicable actions done by Jones, Massey and Daniels.

Didn't one of Mason's players get shot and die?
Perhaps underage drinking shouldn't be grounds for firing coaches. Or Ferentz would be unemployed.

The Brandon Hall episode was an absolute tragedy. Some gangbanger pulls a gun on a group of Gopher football players, Hall tries to calm down the situation by playing peacemaker, and gets shot. If you are one of those who are trying to label Hall as some Mason troublemaker, you should be ashamed of yourself.

Top Bottom