Gophers part ways with wide receiver Donovahn Jones

It's funny how so many GHers are so rah rah about our guys and then once they leave the program everyone is so quick to bad mouth them and minimize the actual impact they had on the team. So hypocritical. How about taking the high road, wishing him well, realizing that this is a loss, and thanking him for his contributions. I see it with the "oh we didn't want/need him anyway" with recruits we don't land. In certain scenarios its okay, but I see it all the time on this board, and it's getting kind of old.

We already have his HS coach saying it's mutual and Kill is a good person. We also have Reports by Marcus Fuller that he broke a team rule.

I've said I hate when guys leave, but he had a poor year and seemed to check out. I don't want that player on the team.

I hope he gets what he wants and gets an education.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's funny how so many GHers are so rah rah about our guys and then once they leave the program everyone is so quick to bad mouth them and minimize the actual impact they had on the team. So hypocritical. How about taking the high road, wishing him well, realizing that this is a loss, and thanking him for his contributions. I see it with the "oh we didn't want/need him anyway" with recruits we don't land. In certain scenarios its okay, but I see it all the time on this board, and it's getting kind of old.

Its also funny when people beat this drum when no one is saying they don't care. I see a bunch of posts wishing him well, some commenting that he didn't reach his potential here, and none saying he sucked and don't care that he is leaving.

These redshirt WRs better be studs or our passing game might be worse than this year next year, which is a scary thought.

Think he still got his bowl gifts? :cool:

I get where you were going with this, but personally I don't have a problem if he in fact did. Important to remember he was part of the team all season, put in his time for games, practices, off-season workouts, etc. Imo, he therefore earned them and deserves access to his bowl gifts just as much as anyone else would. Even if he in fact won't be participating in the actual bowl game now or with the team any longer.

Bummer of course and wish it would have worked out for him within the structured team system that all players are expected to play in and put effort towards, but best of luck to Jones in the future with whatever that may be.

Go Gophers! Ski-U-Mah!

(Paranoid question alert)

Could Jones dismissal have any impact on team mindset and chemistry this week?

Truth is, I am pretty sure we will have more frustrated WRs in the future, especially from those talented redshirts. Our offensive style just isn't WR friendly. That's why we aren't attractive to top notch WRs, and QBs. Then add in a current QB that just isn't very good at passing, and no one else on the roster that is better at this point, and you'll get frustrated WRs. Will losing Jones be a big loss? Nope. Will we ever get 5 star QBs and WRs? Nope. Will we get lucky with 2 or 3 star QBs/WRs becoming stars? Hopefully.

(Paranoid question alert)

Could Jones dismissal have any impact on team mindset and chemistry this week?

Rumor is many within the organization (players/staff) had had it with his antics (not my words). If true, it could likely be a rallying point more than a negative. Who knows?

He probably figures he could be playing quarterback easily as well as Leidner and regrets the move. It might show on that whether he transfers somewhere to play receiver or quarterback. In retrospect, I wonder how much of Jerry pumping the redshirt freshman receivers was meant as a dig and/or a motivation tool for Jones. Perhaps he had enough of that and it was just time for everyone to part ways. It will be very interesting year from now when we see how our passing game does or does not come around next year. In year five of the program there really won't be any excuses and let's hope all of the optimism displayed by our staff is legit.

Truth is, I am pretty sure we will have more frustrated WRs in the future, especially from those talented redshirts. Our offensive style just isn't WR friendly. That's why we aren't attractive to top notch WRs, and QBs. Then add in a current QB that just isn't very good at passing, and no one else on the roster that is better at this point, and you'll get frustrated WRs. Will losing Jones be a big loss? Nope. Will we ever get 5 star QBs and WRs? Nope. Will we get lucky with 2 or 3 star QBs/WRs becoming stars? Hopefully.

To be honest I feel like have done just as well if not better recruiting WRs than any other position. Mcdonald, Harbeson, Jones, Holland, Gentry and Brown before we were all either very highly rated or had multiple and very good FBS offers.

He probably figures he could be playing quarterback easily as well as Leidner and regrets the move. It might show on that whether he transfers somewhere to play receiver or quarterback. In retrospect, I wonder how much of Jerry pumping the redshirt freshman receivers was meant as a dig and/or a motivation tool for Jones. Perhaps he had enough of that and it was just time for everyone to part ways. It will be very interesting year from now when we see how our passing game does or does not come around next year. In year five of the program there really won't be any excuses and let's hope all of the optimism displayed by our staff is legit.

I wonder if Kill is saying they would start because of the Donovahn Jones transfer and they could fill his void.

Rumor is many within the organization (players/staff) had had it with his antics (not my words). If true, it could likely be a rallying point more than a negative. Who knows?

Makes the most sense. You're in Florida for a Jan 1 game.................last game of the season. You don't just quit the team at that point. Must have been a 'last straw'.

I really thought he had a future here. It seemed like he was very athletic and was making the transition to be a good WR in the next few years. Also hurts that we will be relying on a lot of inexperienced WR's next year, pare that with our current QB and I'm not exactly excited about our passing game next year. Oh well, next man up!

Makes the most sense. You're in Florida for a Jan 1 game.................last game of the season. You don't just quit the team at that point. Must have been a 'last straw'.

Thought that too. You either don't make the trip at all or leave after the bowl game. Already spending a day or two there is bizarre. Had to have had a big incident.

He's arguably our best WR.

Granted that's like being the best ballerina in Brownsville.

I think WR is one of those positions where there is a big difference between HS and college. (realizing that D. Jones was not a WR in HS....) In HS, a WR can put up big # based solely on athleticism - speed, leaping ability, etc. In College, a WR has to play as part of a system, and there is a much bigger emphasis on route-running. a college QB has to (theoretically) throw the ball to a spot - not just wait for the WR to run open. Also, in a system like MN's, the WR's have to block to support the running game.

As a result, when the Gopher coaches are recruiting WR's, they need to look for players who fit their system, and will be team players - not prima donnas who pout if their stats are not as impressive as their HS buddies who are playing in a different system. One hopes that the Gopher coaches are honest with the WR recruits about what is expected of them, and what they can expect while playing for the Gophers.

I get where you were going with this, but personally I don't have a problem if he in fact did. Important to remember he was part of the team all season, put in his time for games, practices, off-season workouts, etc. Imo, he therefore earned them and deserves access to his bowl gifts just as much as anyone else would. Even if he in fact won't be participating in the actual bowl game now or with the team any longer. Bummer of course and wish it would have worked out for him within the structured team system that all players are expected to play in and put effort towards, but best of luck to Jones in the future with whatever that may be. Go Gophers! Ski-U-Mah!

No seriousness in my post. I wish Donovahn the best. Hope wherever he lands it works out for him. I just think he had potential but didn't come anywhere close to reaching it here. Lack of effort (possibly, observed) and system probably doomed him here.

I wonder if you actually read this thread. Doesn't appear that you did.

Sucks to see him go, I thought he still has a lot of potential. Gotta believe something happened for him to go down to Orlando, then leave a few days into the trip. Good luck to him.

Just thought of something - maybe someone with a better memory or googling skills can answer this -
Didn't Mason send a player home before a bowl game one year? Might have been the Sun bowl, but I can't remember. I just have this vague memory of a gopher player being sent home (by bus.....) due to a rules violation before a bowl game. Any ideas?

Just thought of something - maybe someone with a better memory or googling skills can answer this -
Didn't Mason send a player home before a bowl game one year? Might have been the Sun bowl, but I can't remember. I just have this vague memory of a gopher player being sent home (by bus.....) due to a rules violation before a bowl game. Any ideas?

Trumaine Brock

If it was Trumaine Brock, that would have been Brewster.

Any chance that Berkely Edwards fills some receiving duties on Thursday?

I wish Mr. Jones the best. Wish it would have worked out.

Kevin Whaley? Or was he dismissed in the regular season?

Can someone confirm if this is the loss that was being rumored the other day, or is that yet another person?

Can someone confirm if this is the loss that was being rumored the other day, or is that yet another person?

This is not the one. The other is a member of the 2014 class that redshirted this year.

Any chance that Berkely Edwards fills some receiving duties on Thursday?

I wish Mr. Jones the best. Wish it would have worked out.

Why? We have Wolitarski, Maye, & Fruechte and only need 1-2 on field at a time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tons of talent.....tons of potential. Sucks that we couldn't get him the ball more.

No, he wasn't. He was arguably our best athlete, but he was not even close to our best WR.

He wasn't even close to our best WR? Name someone better? Fruechte? Even if he wasn't our best WR, he was damn close to being the best. Based on what I saw, Jones was the best WR.

Top Bottom