Gophers part ways with wide receiver Donovahn Jones

GopherInPittsburgh

Reaction score
ORLANDO – Gophers sophomore wide receiver Donovahn Jones is no longer part of the team, a person familiar with the situation said Sunday.
Jones was with the team in Orlando on Thursday, getting ready for the Citrus Bowl, but was off the team by Friday morning. The details are vague, and coach Jerry Kill won’t be available to address the issue until Monday.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/286957181.html

Donovahn Jones sent home

Donovahn Jones sent home? anybody got the scoop on this one?

Writing was on the wall. He was set to lose his spot next season and there must have been friction.

Kill's recent comments on the redshirts probably crystallized his decision to move on with enough time to transfer before teams fill their classes.

He wasn't a natural receiver, period. Maybe he'll thrive in a different system but he's lacking in some areas.

I found this interesting...

"There are indications that Jones wasn’t in violation of team rules, but that this came down to differences in philosophy between Jones and the coaching staff."

Most likely he feels he is underutilized. He was my prediction for a transfer out. Wonder if he gave Kill a Philip Nelson type demand?

May hurt some in the bowl game but I don't really see it hurting much in the future especially with the comments Kill has made about the redshirt WRs.

Too bad, I had high hopes for him. He still had a ways to go as a WR though. Still, I wish him well.

I was hoping that he would be a legit deep threat for this bowl game. Woli might be an option, but I think that Jones may have been able to take the top off in play action. Mitch seems to throw a nice deep ball on occasion(IMHO he throws deep passes better than short), so I was hoping that he'd be in the mix. Oh well.

My day dream was Hutton made some big plays in his final game, so maybe it will now come true. ;)

I found this interesting...

"There are indications that Jones wasn’t in violation of team rules, but that this came down to differences in philosophy between Jones and the coaching staff."

Most likely he feels he is underutilized. He was my prediction for a transfer out. Wonder if he gave Kill a Philip Nelson type demand?

He was underutilized.

He was underutilized.

Really? He wasn't very good at jet sweep, he rarely attacked a ball and helped his QB out. He was a converted QB with potential and now seems to have had a falling out with coaches over his role. He did not have a catch in last 3 games. I hate when guys leave, but the coaching staff will always win these disagreements.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This sucks, I think we could have utilized him better. wish him the best.

I don't disagree.

My guess is he could have been a big contributor but I think he was one of those guys that felt he was entitled to a starting spot without the requirements and commitment this staff requires. Tons of talent but needs to maybe scale back the ego.

I seem to recall that Jones was in the dog house and had to sit out the first quarter against OSU but it didn't really matter because he was sick that day. I'm guessing there has been friction for some time between Jones and the coaches. It wouldn't surprise me if Jones was unwilling to conform with the program direction and got sent packing. With over a 100 players, this will happen from time to time (a.k.a. AJ's mom's BFF syndrome). I only get concerned when several players show dissent.

This is like an accident scene and the coaches will probably say that there is nothing to see here, move along.

Wish Donovan all the best of luck - I remember being really happy when we got him above a number of other credible offers.

I'm disappointed at the timing but can't say I'm surprised with the transfer.

Is there any chance the disagreement with the coaches was over a desire to challenge Mitch for the QB position rather than redshirt freshman receivers passing him on next years depth chart?

Bummer. The kid has got talent. We will probably never know the whole story, the real story. I have to wonder, if there are problems do the coaches just decide its best to just get rid of him in order to free up his scholly at this opportune time for Football recruiting?

It seemed like he may have taken a step back from last season. Plus with KJ Maye's emergence as an effective runner of the jet sweep and as a receiver, he may have felt his playing time was about to come to a screeching halt and wanted to explore opportunities elsewhere. Best of luck, Donovahn.

Saw this coming into next season. I've watched a lot of replay games between the season and bowl, and he played very lazy and blocked like crap. Didn't seem to have a good on-field attitude....

Jones had a tough adjustment to make. he wanted to play a position and was not a clear cut advantage over the existing but wanted to play and did OK.

I truly believe this team will be a better passing team in the years to come. Mitch will be better when he gets more time and has the experience to read these defenses. all of which should happen next season. it could help out guys like Donovahn which really are not true WR's

with the RS guys getting the praise no doubt that had something to do with his decision.

Good Luck and I hope he finds what he is looking for without forgetting to get an outstanding education.

Saw this coming into next season. I've watched a lot of replay games between the season and bowl, and he played very lazy and blocked like crap. Didn't seem to have a good on-field attitude....

This. If by talent they mean fast then yes he was talented. His effort and ball skills were sub-par for a Big Ten receiver.

Yep, he has been rumored to tansfer for a couple weeks now and his body language especially when Mitch throws a bad pass is an indication. He probably just believes that his skillets are better utilized in a spread offense.

Yep, he has been rumored to tansfer for a couple weeks now and his body language especially when Mitch throws a bad pass is an indication. He probably just believes that his skillets are better utilized in a spread offense.

By spread you mean passing?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's funny how so many GHers are so rah rah about our guys and then once they leave the program everyone is so quick to bad mouth them and minimize the actual impact they had on the team. So hypocritical. How about taking the high road, wishing him well, realizing that this is a loss, and thanking him for his contributions. I see it with the "oh we didn't want/need him anyway" with recruits we don't land. In certain scenarios its okay, but I see it all the time on this board, and it's getting kind of old.

Top Bottom