Gophers open as 4 point favorites vs. Maryland

Pound that line. Maryland is bad. This is the most confident I’ve been in a win this year other than Bowling green.
Damn it

but seriously they beat West Virginia who is now 2-4 and beat Illinois by 3

kent state and Howard in blowouts.

then they played two good teams and got beat to hell
They allowed Iowa 24 first downs.

Last edited:

I hate (-4) as a number. Three would be a much nicer number to lay. Maybe the line moves a little bit

Maryland is a crazy team, up and down. They have one of the B10's best passing QBs and some of the best receivers. They can score a lot of points, but defense is iffy. I hope Morgan keeps flinging the ball (don't know what happened yesterday in the second half when we went back into the turtle shell), so it could be a shootout - or maybe not. In that case our defense wins it.

Maryland is a crazy team, up and down. They have one of the B10's best passing QBs and some of the best receivers. They can score a lot of points, but defense is iffy. I hope Morgan keeps flinging the ball (don't know what happened yesterday in the second half when we went back into the turtle shell), so it could be a shootout - or maybe not. In that case our defense wins it.
They aren’t really up and down. They beat 4 bad teams and got smoked by two good ones.
That makes me think they’re pretty steady.

The gophers are up and down, so anything could happen. But has less to do with Maryland and more to do with MN

They are down their number one threat (Demus) who was averaging 100 yards per game.

They are the Nebraska the East Division. Capable of great offensive output; equally capable of offensive crash and burn. Maryland’s superstar WR, Demus, was injured in the Ohio State game and is out for the year—which is a big loss for them. Nebraska has a better defense than Maryland. We should score if we used a balanced attack. Don’t get too predictable. Same game plan for MD as for NE on D: contain and fluster their QB. Good things will follow.

I kind of think of Maryland as a poor man's Nebraska and I said this before that game.

If we can get a little pressure on the QB and limit the big play, they just always seem to mess things up. I don't think they can drive on us all game without making mistakes.

It'll likely be a good game because we certainly have our warts too, but I feel good about this week.

On another gambling note, current line is Wisconsin by 3 versus Purdue

I stay away because I honestly still haven’t decided how good Purdue is and how bad Mertz is.

I think both are below average but I could be wrong

Four point favorites is great and all, but more importantly, can someone please provide a breakdown of talent rankings. If memory serves, Maryland is usually pretty talented.

Thanks in advance.

I don't see why that game shouldn't be very similar to the Iowa game.

Wisc and Iowa are somewhat similar this year: as always great defense, and this year their offenses are bad to putrid.

Maryland lost a really good NFL talent WR in their Iowa game. Gruesome injury. Hope he makes a full recovery and goes on to a great pro career. I think that took some of the wind out of their sails. Game ended up a blowout.

Regardless, Maryland seems to have our number, somehow, more years than not. Except in 2019, and I'm hoping like hell the somewhat parallels between that year and this year continue to happen, in this regard.

Md is a tough out for us. Talent wise they do consistently out recruit us but a lot of that could be East Coast bias. They don’t put a ton of players into the NFL.
Bad MN has to stay hidden against these guys. Their QB is much better than most. Need to keep him off balance and play from behind under pressure.
I worry about games like this.

I feel like we (the fan base) overestimate Maryland because they looked good putting points on us in some games where our defense really laid an egg (the Robb Smith experiment), but they really aren't good. If we are the west division contender we want to think we are, this is one we don't lose, especially since we already spent our "eh, these things happen" card against Bowling Green.

I feel like we (the fan base) overestimate Maryland because they looked good putting points on us in some games where our defense really laid an egg (the Robb Smith experiment), but they really aren't good. If we are the west division contender we want to think we are, this is one we don't lose, especially since we already spent our "eh, these things happen" card against Bowling Green.
What about last year? Throw out because of covid? (not saying that's an invalid argument ...)

What about last year? Throw out because of covid? (not saying that's an invalid argument ...)
Regardless of why our defense looked bad, I would include that as an example of them taking advantage of a bad Gopher defense. That game was 6 days after we gave up 49 to Michigan, and in the midst of a stretch where we surrendered 30+ points in 4 of 5 games.

We over estimate a lot of teams. I don’t see us losing to Maryland unless we play below average, which of course can happen, but if we lose I think it will be self inflicted.

Top Bottom