Gophers open as 4 point favorites vs. Maryland

Just rewatched last year’s game highlights versus Maryland. Wow…we lost on a missed extra point in the 1st OT and lost a 17 point lead!

Maryland’s WR, RB (Funk), and QB sliced and diced right through our defense like a hot kings through butter!

Man, did our 7 and 24 had an amazing game though!

Pumped for Saturday’s revenge 🙌
Letting a white fullback like Funk run all over you ... shows how terrible, and slow, our defense was last year.

EDIT: OK, apparently he's a freak athlete. Fine. Crow for me. https://www.testudotimes.com/maryla...ning-back-pro-day-40-yard-dash-stats-prospect

Maryland always has a decent running game. They have 3 good running backs, all pretty big and powerful. Our run defense this year has been exceptional. One of the better run defenses in the country, not just the B1G. We just need to keep at it.

Tagovailoa is a very good passer, and a gifted athlete. He can roll out and take off running. Very shifty in the open field. But he is smallish and seems to run (so far this year) only when pass coverage is too good. Maryland hasn’t been running designed QB options, but maybe with a bye week (dealing with the loss of 2 of their top 3 WRs), a QB running option gets installed. I assume the Gophs will be prepared for this possible wrinkle (having just played Martinez).

Maryland’s defense has also been hurt by injuries. It’s dominant OLB (Nchami) is now out for the season. His place is being taken by a 5* true freshman. Maryland might have their starting MLB and two starting CBs back from injuries. Day to day, but leaning toward playing per Locksley. Maryland is a sack machine on defense with 30 so far this season, leading the B1G. But Maryland’s defense is also giving up a lot of yardage this season. If we have Morgan passing out of our “heavy” formation, and can keep his jersey clean, our receivers could have a very respectable day … and make it easier for our running game to have a very respectable day.

Should be a very entertaining game. If the Gopher team that played Nebraska and Purdue shows up, and we go with a balanced offensive game plan (forcing Maryland’s defense, inexperienced at a couple of spots, to think), and we don’t give Maryland any short fields on untimely turnovers, Maryland’s chances to pull off a road upset go down a lot.
Great post.

The worry, as seems to oddly be all season, is our coaching staff's tendency to "give up" on passing the ball, at various times and for various reasons.

We have to stick with a balanced attack, and use the pass to set up the run. It has worked. Keep doing what works .... until/unless it doesn't work. Then do something different!

Letting a white fullback like Funk run all over you ... shows how terrible, and slow, our defense was last year.

EDIT: OK, apparently he's a freak athlete. Fine. Crow for me. https://www.testudotimes.com/maryla...ning-back-pro-day-40-yard-dash-stats-prospect
LOL!!! A WHITE fullback? Do you mean fullbacks come in different colors? Green, orange?

Interesting ... where the rubes see a fullback and a football player, the special and virtuous see a white guy laughably trying to play football.

I want to agree … but I think this Maryland team, even with its injury problem, would box Bowling Green’s ears. If Tagovailoa has a hot hand, our offense will have to put forth another balanced attack. We are winning now with complementary football. Both D and O must play well. And they are now. No need to regress.
I'd add special teams. Must give them a long field all game.

LOL!!! A WHITE fullback? Do you mean fullbacks come in different colors? Green, orange?

Interesting ... where the rubes see a fullback and a football player, the special and virtuous see a white guy laughably trying to play football.
Yikes dude.

Don't blow a gasket.

Top Bottom