Gophers open as (-11) point favorites @ Nebraska

Thompson has to be out for that line to be that high. They were playing Illinois pretty even with him in the game. Thompson had 172 yards passing in a quarter and a half. Left when it was 6-9.

Connelly SP+ has Gophs at power rating of 14.2, Huskers at 1.8...by that analytic system, Gophs by 12.4 on a neutral field.

Gophs #20 in nation.

Wisconsin 10.8, Iowa 10.4.

Illinois 12.6, Purdue 8.4.

Last edited:

Action Network has Gophs at #24, with a 85 Power Ranking. Huskers at #63, with a 75.5...so 9.5 on a neutral field.

Connelly SP+ has Gophs at power rating of 14.2, Huskers at 1.8...by that analytic system, Gophs by 12.4 on a neutral field.

Gophs #20 in nation.

Wisconsin 10.8, Iowa 10.4.

Illinois 12.6, Purdue 8.4.
And that’s with Nebraska having their starter

Personally, I hope Thompson plays.

If the Gophers beat them but Thompson doesn't play, it will just be another excuse for some people to pooh-pooh the win.
Gophers already have 3 loses. I don't care how they have to get wins. Just get them. 10 years from now, will fans remember the QB that played? Likely not. But the outcome will be permanent. Let's beat up a shitty back up if needed. Get the W.

Gophers already have 3 loses. I don't care how they have to get wins. Just get them. 10 years from now, will fans remember the QB that played? Likely not. But the outcome will be permanent. Let's beat up a shitty back up if needed. Get the W.
One week championship.

Nebraska is a trap game plain and simple. They will come after the Gophers with a nothing to lose attitude.

Rutgers supposedly had a good run defense and we did ok against them. Obviously the run game was not good in the 3 losses though. I know almost nothing about Nebraska's defense this year though.
Purdue was really the only one where the run game was not good.

Nebraska is a trap game plain and simple. They will come after the Gophers with a nothing to lose attitude.
Trap game? Because we would be looking ahead to Northwestern?

sure, Nebraska has nothing to lose. Neither do we for that matter and none of that changes the fact that Nebraska is not a good football team. If we play well we win.

I believe the Gophers beat Nebraska no matter who plays QB for the Huskers.

I believe the Gophers beat Nebraska no matter who plays QB for the Huskers.
Okay.

I'm a firm believer of gets wins however yoy can get them. We're not making the CFP so style points don't matter. I doubt who plays QB for Neb will be the factor in MN making a better bowl (citrus) over a lesser one (pin stripe). So I'd rather take the back up QB whi h probably gives us a better chance at the W, which does impact the bowl.

We need the win and Thompson, if he plays, can throw the long ball well and can scramble out of the pocket and throw. With him in, and a crowd of 85,000, it's a toss-up.

I would take the Gophers with -21. Don’t care which QB. Got to beat everyone’s best. Need a big day from Mo.

I guess people on this thread don't realize how bad Nebraska is thinking this should be a pick'em or a close spread.

Nebraska lost to Northwestern. Their only wins are against North Dakota, Indiana, and Rutgers by 1 point. They have one of the worst defenses in the country.

All the Gophers need to do is dominate the lines and run the ball, which they've done against Nebraska pretty much every year since PJ has been here, and they'll win by a couple of TDs.

I guess people on this thread don't realize how bad Nebraska is thinking this should be a pick'em or a close spread.

Nebraska lost to Northwestern. Their only wins are against North Dakota, Indiana, and Rutgers by 1 point. They have one of the worst defenses in the country.

All the Gophers need to do is dominate the lines and run the ball, which they've done against Nebraska pretty much every year since PJ has been here, and they'll win by a couple of TDs.
Guessing some are looking at their close game with Purdue and thinking they are better than they are. Bottom line in that Purdue game is that Purdue tried the bold defensive strategy of not bothering to cover Trey Palmer and let him go off for 7 catches, 200+ yards, and 2 TD.

Nebraska has some playmakers but they are not a good team. We should do to them what we have done to the other mediocre/bad teams on our schedule so far this year. If we play well we win this one and it probably won't be close.

We need the win and Thompson, if he plays, can throw the long ball well and can scramble out of the pocket and throw. With him in, and a crowd of 85,000, it's a toss-up.

Below is the opening passage from an article on Omaha.com yesterday evening:

LINCOLN - Nebraska coach Mickey Joseph said on his weekly coaches show that quarterback Casey Thompson - who missed the final 2 1/2 quarters of NU's 26-9 loss to Illinois, may not be ready to play against Minnesota.

"We don't know if Casey's going to be ready," Joseph said on the Husker football show. "We hope he will, but I don't think he will."

The -11 is based on Thompson not playing.
That is not unreasonable given how long it takes nerve damage to resolve.
NE's backup QBs were dreadful in the ILL game but their defense was good.
I would take the under.
Rutgers supposedly had a good run defense. 🤷‍♂️

Nebraska was ahead (9-6) when Thompson got injured. Its offense cratered with the backup QB in. If Thompson is out, we should frustrate Nebbie’s offense … unless we get Bortschlager-ed.
Bortenschlager! Haven't thought about that name in a while.

Always reminds me of Beerfest:

Weren't the opposing QB's "questionable" before each one of the Gophers losses?
Purdue ran all over us. That was their plan.

AOC was back, but our defense held them without a passing touchdown for the first time since 2018 or something like that.

No question, Devito was both a game-time decision and him coming back was huge for them. Our defense played well enough for us to win it, but this was really the start of the cratering by the offense.

You’d never get this line if Frost was still in charge. It would be a one score line for certain.

A B1G Championship Banner!

They’ve been playing like they don’t care if they lose for 5 years
Gophers actually listed as -15 on ESPN over Nebraska today. This is too many points. I am looking at everything and I am thinking more like a 10 point game. 15 points isn't the absolute bet the farm like Penn St. -5 vs. the Gophers with their 2nd string QB at home but it's a reasonable play on the Huskers. This isn't the free money like PSU was and I don't like betting against the Gophers so I probably won't bet on it at all.

Gophers actually listed as -15 on ESPN over Nebraska today. This is too many points. I am looking at everything and I am thinking more like a 10 point game. 15 points isn't the absolute bet the farm like Penn St. -5 vs. the Gophers with their 2nd string QB at home but it's a reasonable play on the Huskers. This isn't the free money like PSU was and I don't like betting against the Gophers so I probably won't bet on it at all.
The reason Why is that it is very different is matchup.
Nebraska has the 115th best rushing defense in the country.

If Nebraska’s offense struggles at all, this is a MN blowout.
Nebraska doesn’t win this game 21-14
They win this game 39-28….nobody aside from penn state has scored more than 26 on the gophers this year. If their QB doesn’t play this game is a blowout for sure. If he does play it still might be. Same reason I think Wisconsin and Michigan will dominate NE.
The only chance NE has for a win remaining is against Iowa, simply because it is possible they could win 2-0 in overtime or something.

Now -15.
(ESPN)

What do they know that we don’t? :unsure:

Top Bottom