Gophers open as (-11) point favorites @ Nebraska

Personally, I hope Thompson plays.

If the Gophers beat them but Thompson doesn't play, it will just be another excuse for some people to pooh-pooh the win.
I hope he doesn't play, because all I care about is the win.

Best possible case would be a 3-game winning streak going into Iowa and Wisc.

This. Illinois and Penn State are both good teams. We've been steamrolling bad teams. Still surprised by the -11 point spread though.
Feels a little high but we are 5-0 with five lopsided wins against mediocre to bad teams this year and Nebraska 100% falls in that category.

This sounds about right. I’d pick us to cover. Nebraska is still very bad.

Interesting given they’re saying Thompson is day to day. Thought it’d be a pick em

Did see on a Husker fansite that fans are just not into the games as would be the general case for Nebbie. Not hard to understand but the sizzle that even Coach Frost had for the most part is now just fizzle.

If the competent Gophers show up maybe the fans won't engage very long or deep. On the other hand, we were there in 2014 while Pelini was HC and it was a very tough environment. Would like that giant to keep sleeping at least for this one. PSU's Whiteout was enough for this season.

Interesting given they’re saying Thompson is day to day. Thought it’d be a pick em

When I first started thinking about the line, and was unaware at that point that Thompson had been injured, I thought Nebraska would be a slight favorite because of home field.

The -11 is based on Thompson not playing.
That is not unreasonable given how long it takes nerve damage to resolve.
NE's backup QBs were dreadful in the ILL game but their defense was good.
I would take the under.

Did see on a Husker fansite that fans are just not into the games as would be the general case for Nebbie. Not hard to understand but the sizzle that even Coach Frost had for the most part is now just fizzle.

If the competent Gophers show up maybe the fans won't engage very long or deep. On the other hand, we were there in 2014 while Pelini was HC and it was a very tough environment. Would like that giant to keep sleeping at least for this one. PSU's Whiteout was enough for this season.

I have to think that Nebraska is about due to make a good coaching hire this time around. I mean, dumb luck and the law of averages say they are overdue.

The ghost of Bo Pellini is a very scary specter, though!

Last edited:

Nebraska money will come in and reduce this.
If I was a betting man I’d take Nebraska Vegas seems to respect the Gophers a bit too much Purdue, Illinois come to mind and this is a road game It’s as simple as can they stop our running game . Nebraska does seem to self destruct quite often however.

If I was a betting man I’d take Nebraska Vegas seems to respect the Gophers a bit too much Purdue, Illinois come to mind and this is a road game It’s as simple as can they stop our running game . Nebraska does seem to self destruct quite often however.

Mmm. Did you take Rutgers and the points last week?

Never mind. I see you said you're not a betting man. Neither am I. I absolutely suck at predicting how future events will unfold!

Rutgers supposedly had a good run defense and we did ok against them. Obviously the run game was not good in the 3 losses though. I know almost nothing about Nebraska's defense this year though.

Rutgers supposedly had a good run defense and we did ok against them. Obviously the run game was not good in the 3 losses though. I know almost nothing about Nebraska's defense this year though.
decent against the run (3.9 ypc by Illinois). Devito killed them the same way he did us by keeping plays alive and converting 3rd downs when needed. 20/22 passing and another 37 yards on the ground.

I've only had the chance to watch Nebraska a few times, in short bursts. Thompson reminds me a bit of Adrian Martinez, the former Nebraska QB who is now playing at Kansas State.

Thompson is a very small bit compared to Martinez but the NE defense was inspired against ILL.

Nebraska was ahead (9-6) when Thompson got injured. Its offense cratered with the backup QB in. If Thompson is out, we should frustrate Nebbie’s offense … unless we get Bortschlager-ed.

Illinois controlled the Nebraska game on offense with 149 yards from Chase Brown plus a 20-22 passing performance by DeVito. The balance Illinois showed on offense kept drives going. If Mo gets 149 yards rushing against Nebraska, but our passing game is anemic or challenged, we might still win (thank you defense), but 11 points could be a hard number to cover. If we have a decent passing game to boot, 11 seems doable.

Our Achilles heel in games like this is letting our opponent get up on us early. If Nebbie gets up by 10 points early, the spread becomes irrelevant and PJ’s history says that we will find a way to lose this eminently winnable game.

Top Bottom