Gophers MBB is Bad but Future is Bright

Battle isn’t an elite shooter. Duncan Robinson shot 42% on 3s. He’s an elite shooter.

Nate Mason shot a higher percentage than Battle does.

Thats the most common misconception with Battle. Hes a good player and a solid shooter. But elite?!?!

But the guy shot like 37% from 3 last year with a real PG getting a lot of catch and shoot 3s.

Elite shooters are well into the 40% on catch and shoot 3s or shoot around 40% while getting most of their shots off the bounce and from 30 feet.

Thats the most common misconception with Battle. Hes a good player and a solid shooter. But elite?!?!

But the guy shot like 37% from 3 last year with a real PG getting a lot of catch and shoot 3s.

Elite shooters are well into the 40% on catch and shoot 3s or shoot around 40% while getting most of their shots off the bounce and from 30 feet.
Agreed. He is a good shooter. Really can get hot at times. But he isn’t elite.

That's a fair point, "elite" is a bit strong. Elite would be in relative terms on this team..

There was no honeymoon for Johnson with some of the posters in here but yeah, there needs to be some signs of progress next year or he will be in a tough spot heading into year 4 if he even makes it there.
He guaranteed the team wouldn’t finish in last. He cancelled his own honeymoon.

when did he do that?
He may have said it more than once but I heard it at the end of the "Open Practice" fan appreciation event. Something like "you know a lot of people are predicting that we will not be a very good team, I can guarantee you one thing, we will not finish last in the Big Ten this year!". I remember that clearly.

I think will play nine next year. We've generally played 8-9 this year when healthy. Could it go down to 7-8 at the end of the year, possibly, but I could also see one of Battle or Garcia moving on or Cooper moving on for a variety of reasons. Maybe Dawson wants to get paid, Cooper doesn't like bringing another PG in. Can't see Battle being a wing next year either if we want to play winning basketball, if Garcia comes back and Fix is healthy, going to be a long jam in the front court. Also, what to make of Ihnen? Team needs a PG and a starting wing next year

I agree that Johnson had lengthened the rotation this season and probably will continue to go with 8 or 9 next season.

As to the other points ---

1) The NCAA has talked this year about being more dutiful in enforcing transfer restrictions. We'll see whether they are serious or not but, if they are, players like Garcia, Cooper, and Battle may not be able to gain immediate eligibility after transferring.

2) Prior to the season, I thought Battle might depart the college ranks after 4 years. With this being a mostly subpar season, I think he stays.

3) I don't think Garcia has done enough in college yet to warrant much interest from the higher paying domestic or international pro clubs so I think he stays.

4) I don't consider the return of BOTH Ihnen and Fox a sure thing.

5) Like most others, I consider TT the most likely transfer candidate. I think Johnson will continue to give him fair minutes and he will show enough to attract interest from a sufficient number of mid-major programs. Right now he's on pace to play more minutes than Freeman did as a sophomore and Freeman found a place fairly quickly.

I agree that Johnson had lengthened the rotation this season and probably will continue to go with 8 or 9 next season.

1) The NCAA has talked this year about being more dutiful in enforcing transfer restrictions. We'll see whether they are serious or not but, if they are, players like Garcia, Cooper, and Battle may not be able to gain immediate eligibility after transferring.

2) Prior to the season, I thought Battle might depart the college ranks after 4 years. With this being a mostly subpar season, I think he stays.

3) I don't think Garcia has done enough in college yet to warrant much interest from the higher paying domestic or international pro clubs so I think he stays.

5) Like most others, I consider TT the most likely transfer candidate. I think Johnson will continue to give him fair minutes and he will show enough to attract interest from a sufficient number of mid-major programs. Right now he's on pace to play more minutes than Freeman did as a sophomore and Freeman found a place fairly quickly.
Got me curious about Sam Freeman. Playing with Pacific Tigers in California. Averaging about 12 minutes per game. 2nd on the team in blocked shots, but only averaging 3.0 pts and 2.8 Reb. per game. Only plays about 12 minutes a game. Hits a nice percentage of his shots, but seems to have an issue with committing a lot of fouls, relative to playing time. His team is 11-12 so far this season.

We could be good: But, I don't see how it happens as written.
1. Fox and Ihnen earn starting roles.
2. Christie is Purdue freshman good...he scores 10 ppg
3. We somehow add another very good guard who can make free throws, set up the offense and defend the other teams point guard.
4 Battle, Garcia and Cooper return.
5. The four freshmen playing all the minutes actually develop into effective consistent bench players. Betts is happy or good.
6. Evans surprises as a freshman and is effective in his playing time.
7. TT let's us add a guard and we actually recruit a good one (3).
8. That would give us 13 guys who all think they should play. Ben wants to play 7. Many of those guys can't play together at the same time because of similar skills or lack there of.
So, ya we could be good if we keep all those guys and Ben figures out to keep them happy and how they can play together.
Without a new guard we can be better but my gosh this is a tall task...we have too many guys who can't shoot or can't run an offense or can't defend their position.
If they all stay...do the four freshmen with the minutes this year, Payne, Carrington, Ola Joseph, Henley plus Betts all sit next year?
Garcia, Battle, Cooper, Fox, Ihnen, Christie, Evans are your top 7? Right? Get a new guard and play 8?
Fox and Ihnen healthy are head shoulders better than the 5 freshmen, plus they are men.. Garcia, Battle and Cooper are our best players on this years team. Christie has to be good for us to be better. Evans has the wingspan and publicity that he has to play. Those 7 or 8 can't sit...right? Ben is not playing 10 or 13 guys. I'd rather not hope for injuries as a solution to those 5 freshmen playing. Do TT and half the 5 freshmen figure it out and transfer or patiently wait to play in the future?
Count for zero from Fox or Ihnen. Basically count for one player at less than 10 minutes a game. That is what you are going to get.

Cooper
Battle
Garcia
Payne
Ola
Carrington
Evans
Christie

Henley
Betts

This is your team next year. The rest may play sparingly, but that is your core. You can't count on injury guys that have had 2 seasons wasted to give you anything.
That team is bubbliscious if Evans and Christie can make an immediate impact. If not, you are looking maybe 7-8 wins in the Big Ten IMO.

Count for zero from Fox or Ihnen. Basically count for one player at less than 10 minutes a game. That is what you are going to get.

Cooper
Battle
Garcia
Payne
Ola
Carrington
Evans
Christie

Henley
Betts

This is your team next year. The rest may play sparingly, but that is your core. You can't count on injury guys that have had 2 seasons wasted to give you anything.
That team is bubbliscious if Evans and Christie can make an immediate impact. If not, you are looking maybe 7-8 wins in the Big Ten IMO.
Nah. That's like getting dealt a pair of deuces in five card draw and deciding not to draw more cards.

I don't disagree with your logic that Ben can't depend on Ihnen or Fox. That part is sound. Ben can't stand pat with the guards he has.

I took an skeptical of the NCAA cracking down, mainly I just don't think they want to get sued. However, I imagine Cooper and Battle, Ramberg and perhaps Ihnen could have their degrees by the end of spring or summer, so if any of them can grad transfer, the transfer rules won't matter. I'm assuming Fox has his degree since he's old enough to rent a car almost.
Agree on Battle it just hasn't gone well, perhaps a healthy Fox with his defensive flexibility could have made the big line up work, but I'm skeptical of Fox health after two years for obvious reasons and without improved guard play, Battle going to have trouble creating space for his offense with the amount of size on the roster
Garcia, there's definitely worse players in the G League, I don't think he's ever going to get drafted but he could get a spot in that league for find some euro options if he wants, but I hope he comes back for another year
Who knows what the future holds for Fox and Ihnen, due to being local though I think Fox is more likely to be back than Ihnen. Although neither could like their perspective role next year too so will see.
TT is a tricky situation. In theory he's the obvious choice to move on, but if he likes being here, and can accept a deep reserves role I'm fine with that, tricky business asking local kids, especially when there's a younger sibling with potential to move on. Probably wait to see what others do before having that conversation with him

Cooper
Battle
Garcia
Payne
Ola
Carrington
Evans
Christie

Henley
Betts

Need a PG to go with that top eight. Get the best player you can buy even a Dre Mathieu, or an EJ Stephens/Luke Loewe type that can give 25-30 a night so Cooper can be off the ball more and then you have a solid nine man core.

Got me curious about Sam Freeman. Playing with Pacific Tigers in California. Averaging about 12 minutes per game. 2nd on the team in blocked shots, but only averaging 3.0 pts and 2.8 Reb. per game. Only plays about 12 minutes a game. Hits a nice percentage of his shots, but seems to have an issue with committing a lot of fouls, relative to playing time. His team is 11-12 so far this season.
What's his wingspan these days?

Reusse was speculating yesterday that Battle might go elsewhere for some NIL money since he gets "none" here. Of course I don't think that's accurate, but he still could get far more lucrative offers.

Nah. That's like getting dealt a pair of deuces in five card draw and deciding not to draw more cards.

I don't disagree with your logic that Ben can't depend on Ihnen or Fox. That part is sound. Ben can't stand pat with the guards he has.
Agree! We will see what he gets. Let's hope it is a defensive PG that can also break someone down with the dribble.

Cooper
Battle
Garcia
Payne
Ola
Carrington
Evans
Christie

Henley
Betts

Yes, correct on Fox and Ihnen. While I love the fact they came here, stayed here, and are working through their injuries hoping to play - we cannot count on them next year. What are the odds they will ever contribute for this team?

While TT is not a starter he is from Glenwood MN, is a 4 year Gopher, is 6'11" and is not struggling through multiple injuries. He needs 15-20 lbs to really help.

Ben on the Fan telling us how good NW is. Ben says old wins in the Big Ten….uh oh
It was pretty crazy! Ben saying we all realize the portal is golden. Look at the teams that win...they have 23-25 year old men playing 18 year old kids. Experience dominates. All the good teams are old.
Next breath...we are excited about all our freshmen. Thompson makes 8 guys who came on or are coming as freshmen.
Would you do it different? No, I like our plan. People don't realize it takes 4 or 5 years sometimes.
Look at Rutgers and Northwestern.
Next breath....the portal is great!
Listen here

it's easy to read the players faces throughout the game that they've given up and are going through the motions for the game. there is no leader to bring them together and fight. there has been no signs of improvement during the season and actually maybe going backward. maybe a big hole has been dug and may be tough to dig out of even next next year. frustrated players will escape through the portal. they need a leader to rally them more than anything.

It was pretty crazy! Ben saying we all realize the portal is golden. Look at the teams that win...they have 23-25 year old men playing 18 year old kids. Experience dominates. All the good teams are old.
Next breath...we are excited about all our freshmen. Thompson makes 8 guys who came on or are coming as freshmen.
Would you do it different? No, I like our plan. People don't realize it takes 4 or 5 years sometimes.
Look at Rutgers and Northwestern.
Next breath....the portal is great!
Listen here
Thanks for posting. Yeah, strange how he supports both sides. The sad parts are when Ben clearly misses the softball from Grimm so garddddddsy has to restate the question with the answer.

What is wrong with Gopher Hoops - The Daily Gopher

Another article with an outside (of gopherhole) view of the struggles. I find that the further away you get from the 6 or 8 most vocal gopherholers against the Ben plan the more you find people giving Ben the time he needs. There is still time for Ben.

"There are valid questions about the coaching staff and there are concerns about the level this team can compete next year. But it is early in the Ben Johnson era. Steve Pikiell endured two brutal seasons in his first two at Rutgers. Going 3-15 in each of your first two seasons is a mountain to overcome. But he has his team rolling now with one of the best defenses in the country and they might be one of the top 20 teams in the country."

What is wrong with Gopher Hoops - The Daily Gopher

Another article with an outside (of gopherhole) view of the struggles. I find that the further away you get from the 6 or 8 most vocal gopherholers against the Ben plan the more you find people giving Ben the time he needs. There is still time for Ben.

"There are valid questions about the coaching staff and there are concerns about the level this team can compete next year. But it is early in the Ben Johnson era. Steve Pikiell endured two brutal seasons in his first two at Rutgers. Going 3-15 in each of your first two seasons is a mountain to overcome. But he has his team rolling now with one of the best defenses in the country and they might be one of the top 20 teams in the country."
Whoever wrote this article is a terrible basketball mind.

This is one of the main facts of his argument when comparing last year's team to this year's: "The talent on this year’s roster is unquestionably better at every position except point guard. "

Does anything think we have more talent at the wing positions this year than in 2021? Does anyone think we have anything coming off the bench that's even close to as good as Sutherlin?

Then you get into his point that we have a lot of TO, shoot poorly, and can't rebound because of our lack of experience. Yep, that's his argument when our high volume inefficient shooters have all played 3+ years (Cooper, Battle, Garcia).

"It's Not Time to Question Coaching Yet!"

I think KaneRobVideo fairly voices frustration on the year without suffering a complete psychological meltdown.

Is it next year yet? Didn't we say that last year?

Not time to question coaching yet? This team has looked soft, out of shape, and has rolled over and quit the last three games. We're setting historical records of incompetence. But it's not time to question the coaching yet?

Last edited:

Whoever wrote this article is a terrible basketball mind.

This is one of the main facts of his argument when comparing last year's team to this year's: "The talent on this year’s roster is unquestionably better at every position except point guard. "

Does anything think we have more talent at the wing positions this year than in 2021? Does anyone think we have anything coming off the bench that's even close to as good as Sutherlin?

Then you get into his point that we have a lot of TO, shoot poorly, and can't rebound because of our lack of experience. Yep, that's his argument when our high volume inefficient shooters have all played 3+ years (Cooper, Battle, Garcia).
I agree that there are a lot of takes here that are very shaky. You might be able to say the talent is better at many of the positions (except clearly at point guard) if/when you assume some of the freshmen will keep improving, but the talent level right now is only better at the 4. And you could argue that Battle is a far inferior player to what he was a year ago. I don't think anyone saw him as shooting 36% from the field and 29.9% from 3. For that matter, Garcia at 44.7% and 32.3% isn't great either.

One of the factors in their dismal season has been the poor shooting of the veterans. Cooper shot the 3 well at the beginning of the season but has fallen off greatly in Big Ten Play. Samuels 3's are a prayer, but he'll be gone. Thompson, who almost exclusively shoots 3's (although with fairly limited attempts this year) shoots 3s at 12.5% this year. Assuming all of the veterans stay, they're going to have to shoot it better for this team to make significant improvement next year. I, for one, don't see how as a team they could possibly shoot it worse.

Top Bottom