Gophers may add walk-on transfer, Chris Halvorsen from Henry Sibley/Valpo

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
GH has learned that Valparaiso 6-8 forward Chris Halvorsen is considering a transfer to the University of Minnesota, where he would be a walk-on for the Gophers' men's basketball team. A 2009 Henry Sibley graduate, Halvorsen played sparingly for Homer Drew's Crusaders as a freshman, averaging 4.4 minutes per game while appearing in 9 contests.

Would this guy be able to play this year or would he need to sit a year because of the transfer?

Outstanding leaper. A bit soft and lacking perimeter skills. Would be a decent walk-on, but has a ways to go before he could ever contribute.

He was a good defensive player and an active, athletic body in high school. At least a good practice player to add. I hope he comes aboard.

But he can dribble, defend, shoot and pass. Which are other reasons he isn't a favorable comparison to RW right now.

Unless he has significantly improved since my team played him in high school, I wouldn't exactly call him the most skilled player. I would also estimate that his vertical is 10-15 inches less than Rodney's.

Having said that, since he won't be taking up a scholarship I welcome him with open arms to the team. Never a bad thing when your team adds a walk-on.

Top Bottom