Gophers in the portal

This one partially surprised me. He was a grey shirt, and had really bought into the RTB culture. Both he and his mom were all in on Twitter recently as well. Though I did notice during the bye week, he went to L.A. for the weekend, and not his home of Texas, so perhaps he has other dreams. Also didn't seem like he really had a position fit. Good athlete, but couldn't find the right spot?
Yeah, he sat out a year after HS and he was constantly tweeting about the Gophers. I thought he was all-in.

The truth is that players can be all-in but also just want to play football. If you're on a team, you know how you stack up against your fellow players. I don't thnk Umlor or Hickox weren't all in, I think they just wanted to play. I'm sure they shook hands with PJ when they discussed their future.

One name I'm watching for and I really hope I don't see is Dylan Wright. I think he is better than Daniel Jackson and Michael Brown-Stephens. But he seemed to be in Fleck's doghouse. I really hope he figures it out and becomes a star for us.
Not sure why Dylan would be in PJ's doghouse. I think the death of his HS teammate Aaron Lowe hurt Dylan badly (thanks Captain Obvious) may have had more to do with Dylan's production than anything else. I too hope he's back next year, as he showed some incredible flashes this year, include the catch on Saturday.

Free education might be sacrificed. There is a very high chance some of these kids are not offered a scholarship anywhere once they hit the portal.
It certainly might. One can only hope those whom wish to transfer take the education part into consideration. Those that do not, likely did not care about education to begin with.

According to this article, slightly less than half of P5 transfers either fall to FCS, JUCO, or did not land anywhere. I'd be more interested in knowing what percentage actually failed to find a new school.

Not sure why Dylan would be in PJ's doghouse. I think the death of his HS teammate Aaron Lowe hurt Dylan badly (thanks Captain Obvious) may have had more to do with Dylan's production than anything else. I too hope he's back next year, as he showed some incredible flashes this year, include the catch on Saturday.
I'm not sure why he would be either. I don't have snap counts but he had a season high 5 catches against Ohio State, then 3 in our second game against Miami (OH), then one in the Colorado game before the death of his teammate. I thought I remembered him making some kind of mistake and getting chewed out in the that game but I could be wrong. Never had more than 1-2 catches a game the rest of the season.

He just got here pretty much. I fear these kids are making mistakes by impatient. I'm surprised these kids don't value a free education more. Might not be another free ride offered to a kid like this.
Some folks may be filling rocks in their heads. Who knows? The Transfer Portal is a double-edged sword. Some may be happy and start with another team or even shine like Chris Streveler. Others may regret it after seeing the mirage isn't real.

Even though they entered the portal, can they be re-recruited by the Gophers if they want a player back - let's say, James Gordon or MJ Anderson?

I think Kallerup is Kieft 2.0; Geers is BSF 2.0.
Thanks! I just googled Kallerup and he is listed at 6'5" 270! Played tackle his junior year at Wayzata. Sounds like he could play swing tackle in addition to TE haha.

Spin the Wheel, See if You Win...

Entering the portal is a high-risk deal for a lot of folks. Per this 10-month old article (in my vast five minutes of searching I couldn't find a more recent one...), last year only 28% of the players had found a new home. And this year I believe there are a lot more players that have entered their names into the lottery. As one data point, this year there are something like 300 QBs in the portal -- no way are there 300 open slots for QBs to get a starting role. A lot of folks are going to find out they've no longer got that ride for a scholy.

From the article:

According to Keith Grabowski, host of The Coach & Coordinator podcast, an astounding 72% of the players in the 2021 transfer portal do not have a home. Out of 1,074 players in the portal, just 299 (28%) have a school to attend on scholarship in 2021. According to 247’s unofficial transfer portal tracker — since the NCAA doesn’t allow us to see the actual portal — there are currently 126 quarterbacks in the 2021 transfer portal.

What happens to a majority of the players who do find a school? Most drop down a level. “Of the 299 Power Five players who have committed to a new school, 60% took a step down in level, their next destination a Group of Five or FCS school,” Dellenger writes.

Sometimes you win, Sometimes you lose...

Spin the Wheel, See if You Win...

Entering the portal is a high-risk deal for a lot of folks. Per this 10-month old article (in my vast five minutes of searching I couldn't find a more recent one...), last year only 28% of the players had found a new home. And this year I believe there are a lot more players that have entered their names into the lottery. As one data point, this year there are something like 300 QBs in the portal -- no way are there 300 open slots for QBs to get a starting role. A lot of folks are going to find out they've no longer got that ride for a scholy.

From the article:

According to Keith Grabowski, host of The Coach & Coordinator podcast, an astounding 72% of the players in the 2021 transfer portal do not have a home. Out of 1,074 players in the portal, just 299 (28%) have a school to attend on scholarship in 2021. According to 247’s unofficial transfer portal tracker — since the NCAA doesn’t allow us to see the actual portal — there are currently 126 quarterbacks in the 2021 transfer portal.

What happens to a majority of the players who do find a school? Most drop down a level. “Of the 299 Power Five players who have committed to a new school, 60% took a step down in level, their next destination a Group of Five or FCS school,” Dellenger writes.
The article clearly states there are 126 QBs in the 2021 portal. Not sure where the 300 came from. The portal isn't for Power 5 players only. FCA and G5 players are using the portal to jockey up or down the ranks too.

It would appears the biggest losers (the ones who end up not finding a new home) are unranked and/or walk-ons. From the article, "As of [late January], only 964 of the 1,500 FBS players in the portal garnered a recruiting ranking from 247Sports (a vast majority of the other 500 are walk-ons),”

The grass is always greener.
weird how that saying is still applicable.

Thanks! I just googled Kallerup and he is listed at 6'5" 270! Played tackle his junior year at Wayzata. Sounds like he could play swing tackle in addition to TE haha.
Hopefully he can be close the player Ko Kieft has been for us. He might be the most underrated player on the team and there are very few TE/H-Back types I've ever seen that are more dominant blockers. I think Kieft ends up playing on Sundays.

Hopefully he can be close the player Ko Kieft has been for us. He might be the most underrated player on the team and there are very few TE/H-Back types I've ever seen that are more dominant blockers. I think Kieft ends up playing on Sundays.
I found myself always watching where #42 was when they lined up, and whenever there was a big run I would replay it and see if he took out his guy. So much fun to watch.

Was it for Pinckney and Gibbens?
They had a “bonus year” of eligibility due to COVID bro after they had played FOUR seasons to the college they matriculated to and decided to use said Bonus year at a different school - vastly different scenario.
Nice to see your non-OTB posts aren’t any better, sire! Keep up the amazing work🤩

Last edited:

Wanted to see Clark get his shot at some point. He was about half a point away from getting a 4* from 247 and played 6A Texas Football so he's as battle-tested as a recruit can be. That dime he dropped in garbage time against MD in 19 - holy shit. I really think he'll shine at a more pass-heavy program that doesn't rely on their QB to run...we'll see

I have no clue about the validity, but I saw some Twitter buzz of Boyd and Ewers teaming up at TTU…
I think Texas Tech is really the dark horse for Ewers.

I have no idea about Boyd going with him. I'm sure they are friends but they didn't really grow up together. He transferred to Ewers HS his senior season and then enrolled in January. So they went to school together 4 months.

That said, the versions of the rumors that I've heard are that the Texas Tech coach is going to hire the Southlake HS coach (Riley Dodge) as an assistant and bring in Ewers. I haven't heard Boyd's name mentioned, but it wouldn't shock me.

Oh, by "heard a rumor", I mean I read it on the internet from people I don't know and don't know me. It sounds cooler that way though. . . :)

Yeah, it shouldn't be much of an issue. It's something to consider though. I know some schools don't accept various transfer credits too. So it's more of a speedbump than a massive hurdle, but a bump nonetheless.

The acceptance of credits is a real issue. But, perhaps the bigger issue with transferring around is not building relationships in your academic community and profession. It clearly matter in some more than others, but the best way to move into the professional world is knowing people, internships, networking.

The acceptance of credits is a real issue. But, perhaps the bigger issue with transferring around is not building relationships in your academic community and profession. It clearly matter in some more than others, but the best way to move into the professional world is knowing people, internships, networking.
That could as far as networking for jobs. I don't think that's an issue with athletes. More than the free education, I think that automatic "networking" is the most valuable thing that D1 college athletes get.

Top Bottom