Gophers in the portal

Unfortunately there are still too many players that take the education part for granted because they truly believe they will be making millions in the NFL and therefore won't need anything to fall back on.

McGill looked like a decent prospect, sorry to see him go but he has to do what he feels is best for him I guess.
This one partially surprised me. He was a grey shirt, and had really bought into the RTB culture. Both he and his mom were all in on Twitter recently as well. Though I did notice during the bye week, he went to L.A. for the weekend, and not his home of Texas, so perhaps he has other dreams. Also didn't seem like he really had a position fit. Good athlete, but couldn't find the right spot?

He just got here pretty much. I fear these kids are making mistakes by impatient. I'm surprised these kids don't value a free education more. Might not be another free ride offered to a kid like this.
It looks like he had a few offers at lower levels so there could still be interest for him out there. Hopefully, anyway.

Unfortunately there are still too many players that take the education part for granted because they truly believe they will be making millions in the NFL and therefore won't need anything to fall back on.

McGill looked like a decent prospect, sorry to see him go but he has to do what he feels is best for him I guess.
Some of them just aren't ready to hang up the cleats because they enjoy competing on game days. I get your point on the education though but there are some very high academia institutions in the FCS division.

He was also at least 4th on the depth chart behind BSF, Geers, and Kallerup for 2022.
Ah, I forgot about Kallerup. He got a lot of buzz out of camp and played more than Henderson I'm pretty sure. Hate losing depth at a fairly thin position though...

Ah, I forgot about Kallerup. He got a lot of buzz out of camp and played more than Henderson I'm pretty sure. Hate losing depth at a fairly thin position though...

Didn't we recruit another TE in this class (Spencer Alvarez)? Also, I thought it was up for debate/confirmed if Nnamdi had moved over to TE

Didn't we recruit another TE in this class (Spencer Alvarez)? Also, I thought it was up for debate/confirmed if Nnamdi had moved over to TE
Alvarez is huge (6-7/255). I know that the Gophers ran a formation (prior to Sanford) with Schlueter at TE and maye that's a role they envision for someone of Alvarez' size. They did throw more to the TE this season

McGill was the kid that was supposed to be one class earlier, very easily could've gotten him through admissions -- like they do every year with multiple kids -- but they used that as an excuse to have him gray-shirt to the next class.

247 has him listed as an OL, and I'm pretty sure that's what he was recruited as. But could play a hybrid if needed. Nice frame, though.

Transfer portal is going to ruin a lot of programs and coaches, not to mention players. It will get to the point where a girl breaks up with you, your transferring. Not starting because you just not there yet, transfer. Ugly recruiting and under the table crap will just get worse. Like MNVGUY says, education is taken for granted and they all think they will be playing Sunday.

This site is updating our depth chart with these departures
That's an interesting site...thanks. It's not totally up to date as Gordon & Martin appear, but it's cool. Wonder how reliable/accurate their scouting service is. Here's their draft grades on Gophers:
  • Faalele: Rounds 1/2
  • Andries & Mafe: Rounds 3/4 (If this is true, Andries is gone despite PJ's attempt to recruit him back)
  • Otomewo & Ibrahim: Rounds 5/6 (Explains today's news on Otomewo's Senior Bowl invite)
  • CAB, Olson, JMS, Pinckney, & Durr: Rounds 7/Priority FA (Agree on these and could see CAB returning to improve that)
  • Schlueter, Morgan, & Gibbens: FA Camp Invite (Agree)

Why is Andries so far ahead of Olson and JMS? Just because he can be more versatile to possibly play at tackle? I see him pretty locked into interior spots in the league.

Transfer portal is going to ruin a lot of programs and coaches, not to mention players. It will get to the point where a girl breaks up with you, your transferring. Not starting because you just not there yet, transfer. Ugly recruiting and under the table crap will just get worse. Like MNVGUY says, education is taken for granted and they all think they will be playing Sunday.
Agreed. The ones who can't evolve with the changes will get left behind. Those that get ahead of the curve will have success while the others are still trying to figure things out.

Curious how you feel education is sacrificed? Can they not get an education while playing elsewhere?

Nathan Jones is a TE who is committed. He was planning on playing OT at Abiline Christian prior to us offering. So I'd assume he is more of a blocker too.

Agreed. The ones who can't evolve with the changes will get left behind. Those that get ahead of the curve will have success while the others are still trying to figure things out.

Curious how you feel education is sacrificed? Can they not get an education while playing elsewhere?
If you're just a student, moving around to different schools is not the easiest way to graduate.

If you're just a student, moving around to different schools is not the easiest way to graduate.
Fair point.
If they have good/decent grades it shouldn't be much of an issue to transfer to another school. If they don't have the grades, education likely isn't important to begin with.

I do not think playing time and getting an education have to be mutually exclusive.

Fair point.
If they have good/decent grades it shouldn't be much of an issue to transfer to another school. If they don't have the grades, education likely isn't important to begin with.

I do not think playing time and getting an education have to be mutually exclusive.
Yeah, it shouldn't be much of an issue. It's something to consider though. I know some schools don't accept various transfer credits too. So it's more of a speedbump than a massive hurdle, but a bump nonetheless.

One name I'm watching for and I really hope I don't see is Dylan Wright. I think he is better than Daniel Jackson and Michael Brown-Stephens. But he seemed to be in Fleck's doghouse. I really hope he figures it out and becomes a star for us.

Does anybody know if Geers is more of a blocking type like Kieft? Honestly Ko Kieft was my favorite player to watch this season and I will miss him. Hope we have an heir apparent.

One name I'm watching for and I really hope I don't see is Dylan Wright. I think he is better than Daniel Jackson and Michael Brown-Stephens. But he seemed to be in Fleck's doghouse. I really hope he figures it out and becomes a star for us.
He already used his "free" year. So unless he has graduated, he'd have to sit a year, not?

Also worried about this, but I think the Sandford firing will go a long way towards him stayin

Does anybody know if Geers is more of a blocking type like Kieft? Honestly Ko Kieft was my favorite player to watch this season and I will miss him. Hope we have an heir apparent.
Geers seems pretty well rounded as both a receiver and blocker.

Free education might be sacrificed. There is a very high chance some of these kids are not offered a scholarship anywhere once they hit the portal.

He already used his "free" year. So unless he has graduated, he'd have to sit a year, not?
I would think so. He redshirted in 2019. You never know when an Aunt will get sick though, or a guy just sees greener pastures. I hope he sticks around and is our go to option next year.

Top Bottom