Gophers in the NFL

Tampa Bay Times: Tyler Johnson has some catching, and catching up, to do for Bucs

He played 21 snaps at three receiver positions, had one target and no receptions.

He dropped the only pass thrown his direction by Tom Brady in Sunday’s 28-10 Bucs win at Denver, a play that ultimately would have been erased by a penalty anyway.

It was a statistical flatline for rookie Tyler Johnson. But at least his NFL career finally had a pulse, and that’s a good starting point for the Bucs.

When Johnson went to the sideline after he failed to make the catch against the Broncos, offensive coordinator Byron Leftwich smiled widely and began to rattle off names of some receivers who had dropped the first pass of their career.

The fifth-round draft pick from Minnesota had hoped to make an immediate impact like his Gophers teammate safety Antoine Winfield, a Bucs second-round pick who Thursday was named the NFL’s defensive rookie of the month for September.

Instead, Johnson had the solitary routine of treatment, meetings, watching practice, more meetings and back to his hotel room to become intimately familiar with the playbook.

“I wouldn’t say it was lonely, though,” Johnson said. "Guys in the receiving room were definitely there with me. You know, whether it was the word of the day or them just checking up on me, it was always a way for me to feel connected.

“I feel like in the receiving room, we definitely have a lot of great guys that make you feel at home. So, yeah, they kept me going, they kept me pushing, and I’m blessed to be finally healthy again.”

Go Gophers!!

per Sid:

• There are going to be 31 NFL teams, including the Vikings, who kick themselves for not drafting Gophers safety Antoine Winfield Jr. before he went No. 45 overall to Tampa Bay in April. Winfield was named NFL rookie defensive player of the month for September. In three games, he had 23 tackles, two sacks, three QB hits, two passes defended and a forced fumble, playing all but one defensive snap.

Go Gophers!!

per Sid:

• There are going to be 31 NFL teams, including the Vikings, who kick themselves for not drafting Gophers safety Antoine Winfield Jr. before he went No. 45 overall to Tampa Bay in April. Winfield was named NFL rookie defensive player of the month for September. In three games, he had 23 tackles, two sacks, three QB hits, two passes defended and a forced fumble, playing all but one defensive snap.

Go Gophers!!

Unfortunately the Vikings didn't need a safety. But even if we did....I'm not convinced that the Vikings would have taken him. Spielman doesn't seem to have any interest in keeping Gophers players home. Of course....the Gophers kicked the crap out of his kids team....so I guess I'm not surprised. But I really thought that they would have taken TJ.

Unfortunately the Vikings didn't need a safety. But even if we did....I'm not convinced that the Vikings would have taken him. Spielman doesn't seem to have any interest in keeping Gophers players home. Of course....the Gophers kicked the crap out of his kids team....so I guess I'm not surprised. But I really thought that they would have taken TJ.
We tried to trade Anthony Harris all off-season as we don't need to be paying him that much. Though I agree we wouldn't have drafted Antoine.

We tried to trade Anthony Harris all off-season as we don't need to be paying him that much. Though I agree we wouldn't have drafted Antoine.

Just couldn't get what we wanted for Ant. He's a really good player....but we had other needs than a second expensive safety. I can only imagine how much better off the Vikings would be if they had been able to trade Ant....resigned Waynes.....and drafted Winfield.

Listened to the Tampa Bucs game today online. Mr. Winfield got beat on a deep pass for a score but shortly thereafter had a tackle that took out an opponent for the game (I think). Tyler was seeing action late in the game...mainly going into motion in the backfield but I don't think he ever was an actual target. Still good hearing his name though.

High praise for AWJr:
2020 NFL Rookie Rankings: Joe Burrow, Justin Jefferson and lots of first-round offense
3. Antoine Winfield Jr., S, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Stats: 25 tackles, 2 sacks, 1 forced fumble
Drafted: No. 45 overall
Just ask the Broncos how versatile Winfield is. In the Buccaneers' Week 3 win in Denver, Winfield had six tackles, a sack, another quarterback hurry and knocked down a pass. He has played all but one snap for the Buccaneers' defense through four games, and Tampa Bay defensive coordinator Todd Bowles has already found a significant role for him in the team's blitz packages.

same with Leidner. Except for the inability to read a defense.

I thought it was playing that got him not drafted. If he would have been injured after his junior year and sat out he may have been drafted in the 3rd or 4th Rd. Of course that is based upon some people putting him as a potential breakout / 1st Rd pick after his junior season.

Moving on, I am happy to see Rodney get a shot.

With a dozen former Gophers being in the NFL, I am anticipating a time in the near future when we turn on an NFL game and can see a former Gopher play.

I thought it was playing that got him not drafted. If he would have been injured after his junior year and sat out he may have been drafted in the 3rd or 4th Rd. Of course that is based upon some people putting him as a potential breakout / 1st Rd pick after his junior season.

Moving on, I am happy to see Rodney get a shot.

With a dozen former Gophers being in the NFL, I am anticipating a time in the near future when we turn on an NFL game and can see a former Gopher play.
That’s pretty funny!

Winfield has also played corner for the Bucs. They know he needs to be on the field.

I didn't see what happened....but it sounds like Winfield left the game due to an injury.

I didn't see what happened....but it sounds like Winfield left the game due to an injury.

They didn't show what happened and haven't given an update but they showed Winfield walking off under his own power, hopefully nothing serious.

Awesome to see TJ get TD #1. Hopefully the first of many.

So glad TJ getting an opportunity and today he's making it count for 6 !

As usual Mr. Winfield was smiling with the trainer coming off the field. Didn't look serious.

Tyler just got a nice dose of NFL love commentary around that TD. Again, whoever was spreading whatever on his prospects going into the draft was a total dink.

As usual Mr. Winfield was smiling with the trainer coming off the field. Didn't look serious.

Tyler just got a nice dose of NFL love commentary around that TD. Again, whoever was spreading whatever on his prospects going into the draft was a total dink.

More fuel for Tyler's furnace - he'll just keep being productive and making Matt Miller look like more of a clown show!

Top Bottom