Gophers hosting Junior Day on Feb. 2nd

Guaranteed that the out of state kids along with the higher end in state kids are receiving the most attention!

I personally like the idea of having a ton of kids. It creates competition and it gives the coaches the ability to evaluate their talent level and motivation.

Maybe if they do workouts and stuff, but I'm pretty sure they don't do that on junior day. Kind of a bummer it's going to be so cold.

Guaranteed that the out of state kids along with the higher end in state kids are receiving the most attention!

I personally like the idea of having a ton of kids. It creates competition and it gives the coaches the ability to evaluate their talent level and motivation.

I like this idea. Puts ownership on the HS coaches and players to get in the process early if they want to be a Gopher. Kill and staff already know who the top 10 or so are and this expands to those who want in.

Yeah, but that doesn't mean we need 100+ kids from MN to visit. Takes away extra attention from kids that you've already identified as players in my opinion.

Right now from my count, we only have 55 players from Minnesota attending. Of course I may not have visibility on all MN juniors attending, but I don't think I am far off. In my opinion, this is also a drill to review potential PWO players as well. Leidner, and Wright would probably not be ranked in the top 50 for the class based on their lack offers, etc... Fahning is probably a top 10 player. Rhoda and Conway in the top 25-30. Hart probably a top 40. Point is that it make sense to look at about the top 75 players a this point for a combination of offers and PWOs as well.

Kam D. Lott ‏@KamLott_3
Man im loving it up here in Minnesota. #Hooters pic.twitter.com/HGTkxlKM

Check out that pic!!! Gophs are taking this Florida boy out to Hooters!!! Awesome.

Kam D. Lott ‏@KamLott_3
Man im loving it up here in Minnesota. #Hooters pic.twitter.com/HGTkxlKM

Check out that pic!!! Gophs are taking this Florida boy out to Hooters!!! Awesome.

I assume he is there on his own. I don't think jr day started today.

GopherHole tweet: #Gophers Jerry Kill and an assistant visited junior QB recruit Connor Wilkie @Cwilkie11 at Andover HS today.

Go Gophers!!

LOL....this is why it hurts to bring kids from Florida here in the winter...."Just save me" he says.

Kam Lott...

I'll never complain how cold it is in Jacksonville again. #JustSaveMe #Minnesota

http://twitter.com/#!/KamLott_3/

LOL....this is why it hurts to bring kids from Florida here in the winter...."Just save me" he says.

Kam Lott...

I'll never complain how cold it is in Jacksonville again. #JustSaveMe #Minnesota

http://twitter.com/#!/KamLott_3/

He also said "For all Minnesota fans who are wondrring. Yes Im loving Minneapolis so far, just very cold!"

Anyone can live where it is warm and toasty. It takes real tough men and women to live here in the upper midwest.

Maybe if they do workouts and stuff, but I'm pretty sure they don't do that on junior day. Kind of a bummer it's going to be so cold.

I don't think the coaches are allowed to work out players on their visits at D-1 schools. At least this was the case in the late 90's when I was in high school. The only way to see them in action would be at a summer camp.

Besides Jeffery Jones what is an early Top 10 for MN players?

Vames should feel free to correct me, but I'd guess it goes....

#1: Jones - rb - Washburn
#2: Ragnow - OL/DL (probably ends up on offense) - Channhassen
#3: Stetler - DE - Owatonna
#4: Reid Travis - QB/ATH (He might be rated higher)
#5: Hassenuar (spelling?) - East Ridge
#6: Preston Woods - DT/OL - SSP
#7: Ejiya - RB / LB - Spring Lake Park
#8: Tim Gordon - DB - CDH
#9: Wilkie - QB - Blaine

I don't know the other athletes. It's a pretty strong class.
I haven't seen Stetler play.
Ragnow is as impressive as any lineman I've seen in MN other than Henderson.
Jones is a stud.
I think Woods is pretty underrated right now, but I expect his stock to soar. He reminds me quite a bit of Beau Allen MTKA and Becky DT.
Gordon, I think he's close to Rucker. I think Rucker is probably more of a complete player right now, but Gordon can play, he might be a better pure cover guy.
Travis would be an awesome get if he plays football.

I'd be happy with all of these guys getting an offer, in fact, I hope we have close to 10 local signees.

Another name to keep an eye on is Parra. He doesn't seem super orthodox, but he is a fantastic football player. I am obviously not a scout, so maybe he has holes in his game that allude me, but he's a REALLY impressive HS football player, a good athlete and he throws the ball as accurately as anyone in the state.

I agree with Bob. These guys all play different positions and are all deserving of offers from the U. The QB's are the two I question. Do they fit?

I believe you have identified the front runners

Jones is a stud.
I think Woods is pretty underrated right now, but I expect his stock to soar. He reminds me quite a bit of Beau Allen MTKA and Becky DT.
Gordon, I think he's close to Rucker. I think Rucker is probably more of a complete player right now, but Gordon can play, he might be a better pure cover guy.

I'd be happy with all of these guys getting an offer, in fact, I hope we have close to 10 local signees.

Another name to keep an eye on is Parra. He doesn't seem super orthodox, but he is a fantastic football player. I am obviously not a scout, so maybe he has holes in his game that allude me, but he's a REALLY impressive HS football player, a good athlete and he throws the ball as accurately as anyone in the state.[ end quote
**********************************************************************************

Hopefully, the 2014 class is as strong as the 2012 class. Different mix of positions but quality.
After a quick look, the only guy I see with any rating by Rivals is Jones as a 4 star.
#2 Frank Ragnow
#3 Andrew Stelter
#4 Preston Woods
#5 JC Hassenauer
#6 Reid Travis
#7 Connor Wilkie
#8 Eji Ejiya
#9 Tim Gordon
#10 Christian Triplett, Delano
#11 Ricardo Johnson, Cretin

I don't know much about any of these guys but two others guys with some buzz are Josh Sitarz - Totino and Cody Scherff Albert Lea. Plus, Your guy Jacques Perra, Roseville. Blake Banham, another Cretin guy.

Before today, 1, 2, 3 had offers. I wouldn't mind all 11 getting offers, (or some other MN kids) but they know what they are doing.

Thanks for the information.

Is Reid Travis considering football or his he going to play basketball?

Jones is a stud.

Another name to keep an eye on is Parra. He doesn't seem super orthodox, but he is a fantastic football player. I am obviously not a scout, so maybe he has holes in his game that allude me, but he's a REALLY impressive HS football player, a good athlete and he throws the ball as accurately as anyone in the state.

My rankings look like this:
1. Jones
2. Ragnow
3. Travis
4. Stetler
5. Gordon
6. Ejiya
7. Woods
8. Parra
9. Hassenauer
10. Greely (Wayzata DE)
11. Wilkie

Thoughts:
- Jones, Ragnow, and Stetler are obviously studs that have already earned offers.
- I think Reid Travis' size gives him a lot of potential.
- Ejiya had a great year as both a linebacker and a running back.
- Parra was very productive for Roseville, but he's a pocket passer and wouldn't fit well in Limegrover's zone-read offense
- Hassenauer's small but has a great motor.
- Greely's a two-year starter for Wayzata that looks decent on film.
- Wilkie was productive for Andover but has a funky throwing motion isn't mobile enough for our offense.

Parra is an excellent prospect. I would disagree on the pocket passer reference. He is more athletic than Wilkie and uses his legs to create offense in Roseville's scheme.

A close friend in the program told me the reason Wilkie is generating so much interest is because the gophers eventually want a pro-style with a pocket passing QB.

I still think the Minnesota QB's in this class are ranked:
1. Travis - De La Salle
2. Wilkie - Andover
3. Parra - Roseville

The problem is that Reid Travis will most likely play college basketball and eventually play in the NBA (whether that means leaving college early or not). But I would love to see him in maroon and gold as a QB or a TE.

As "60's Guy" said, I too wouldn't mind the Gophers early offering these top 10 guys and show some favor to the BCS bound Minnesota players.

Top Bottom