Gophers get commitment from Wayzata TE Brandon Lingen

Like your feelings are being hurt with people offering their honest opinion about your post?

Critiquing others' opinions is one thing. Attempting to censor is another. I get enough censorship from the GH Admin (particularly on the basketball board) without having to take it from other posters as well.

"Walk-on Joel Stave throws a touchdown to walk-on Jared Abrederis." If recruiting was a perfect science, this should never happen.

I would hope being the only major university in the state, the coaches should be able to find on average 2-3 under the radar in state recruits per year. I think they need to decide whether they can get them to come here with a Preferred walk-on or scholarship. The important thing is that they do come here.

Welcome, Brandon!

If that's the basis for an offer, it's a questionable one to begin with.
I agree that it is questionable to offer someone who has already committed elsewhere. Probably why it doesn't happen often.

No thanks. I even specified that it has nothing to do with the kid himself. If he's an in-state player with offers from FAU and Air Force, it's questionable recruiting strategy to offer him in October. He's basically a Ben Lauer-level recruit, and the Gophers wisely held out on Lauer and offered him just before signing day. That doesn't mean Lingen can't and won't be an impact player, as evidenced by Lauer starting in his 2nd year. It just means that the recruiting strategy is very peculiar.

I don't care about Brandon Lingen outside of his potential ability to play for the Gophers. I'm sorry if that offends anyone. If he were just some random kid from Wayzata and not a Division I football prospect, he wouldn't be discussed here. I care about the Gophers, not about Brandon Lingen. Scholarships are like gold, especially for a program trying to dig out of the bottom quartile of the Big Ten. If they like him a lot, great, but I'm pretty sure an offer could've waited until January or February after other options were exhausted. Maybe they got wind of a forthcoming offer from Iowa or Wisconsin, but I doubt it.

Now, does anyone else feel the need to chirp away at an honest opinion because someone's feelings might get hurt?

Chirp, Chirp, Chirp!

I agree that it is questionable to offer someone who has already committed elsewhere. Probably why it doesn't happen often.

HAHAHAHA!!! Do you even follow football recruiting?!? If by "doesn't happen often", you mean "happens every single day", then you are absolutely correct! If Kill and staff are in any way dissuaded by an FAU commitment (whether the recruit is from Boca Raton or Burnsville), let's fire them today, right now. And yes, I'm 100% serious if that's the case. Since it's most definitely not, I'm not worried about it.

HAHAHAHA!!! Do you even follow football recruiting?!? If by "doesn't happen often", you mean "happens every single day", then you are absolutely correct! If Kill and staff are in any way dissuaded by an FAU commitment (whether the recruit is from Boca Raton or Burnsville), let's fire them today, right now. And yes, I'm 100% serious if that's the case. Since it's most definitely not, I'm not worried about it.
So, to sum up, Kill should be fired when he offers a kid before he commits to FAU, or if he doesn't offer him after he commits to FAU. Got it.

So, to sum up, Kill should be fired when he offers a kid before he commits to FAU and should be fired again if he doesn't offer him after he commits to FAU.

You really suck at this.

I'm pretty sure an offer could've waited until January or February after other options were exhausted.

What other options? Are you aware of any other TE's they were intrested in that were higher ranked than Lingen? They were planning on only taking 1 TE this class and they had one of their top targets already committed in Elmore. After seeing Lingen's senior tape they realized they didn't want to let him go regardless of what position he plays. There's no reason to be upset with the timing of the offer. They wanted the kid despite TE not being a need so they made it happen.

Congrats to Brandon. It's great to see when hard work pays off and a kid is rewarded with a full ride to his local big ten school.

Congrats to the kid. If he's ready to work his ass off to see the field in a few years, than more power to him.

I don't see why we added another TE though. I am excited about Elmore and we have a young TE contingent with Goodger, Plesek, and Williams already established, and all returning next year. In a small recruiting cycle, taking a flyer on a second, less-heralded TE is questionable.

Unfortunately, we had a great opportunity to make a strong impression with some well-regarded recruits on Saturday, and we completely bungled it. It was a bad showing in front of some legit prospects. Our recruiting will be reflected in our on-field performances, and recruiting evaluations do matter.

Anyway, glad you're excited to be a Gopher, Brandon. Welcome to the squad.

What other options? Are you aware of any other TE's they were intrested in that were higher ranked than Lingen?

Why does the other option have to be a TE? How about a better player who isn't a TE? How about a DL or a LB or a CB? We already have Williams, Goodger, Plsek, Anyanwu, Wozniak, and Elmore incoming. None graduate, and only Goodger graduates after next season. Is this what's going to get us over the hump against our conference peers? A 7th-string TE? A guy who'll be behind someone at his own position in his own class and behind 3 guys at his own position in the class ahead of him?

I don't see why we added another TE though. I am excited about Elmore and we have a young TE contingent with Goodger, Plesek, and Williams already established, and all returning next year. In a small recruiting cycle, taking a flyer on a second, less-heralded TE is questionable.

How dare you!!!

Why does the other option have to be a TE? How about a better player who isn't a TE? How about a DL or a LB or a CB? We already have Williams, Goodger, Plsek, Anyanwu, Wozniak, and Elmore incoming. None graduate, and only Goodger graduates after next season. Is this what's going to get us over the hump against our conference peers? A 7th-string TE? A guy who'll be behind someone at his own position in his own class and behind 3 guys at his own position in the class ahead of him?
You should send a harshly worded email to Jerry. These facts must have just slipped his mind.

You should send a harshly worded email to Jerry. These facts must have just slipped his mind.

I'll send that right after you send him one telling him not to offer players already committed to other schools.

The offense the staff prefers is a run-heavy offense with multiple TE/FB/H-back on the field at once. Right now, Williams, Plsek, and Goodger are all getting playing time. It's a very important position on this team. Another factor to keep in mind is possible position changes. Mike Henry is graduating after this year and someone will have to fill in at FB. The players you mentioned above may all be candidates. Wozniak could potentially move to OT. Elmore isn't a lock to stay at TE and could end up at DE. You have no idea what plans the staff has for the future of these players. There could also be something happening behind the scenes with one of these players that we don't know about.

I have it the Gophers are going back to the single wing. We are almost playing it already. No WRs just TEs and RBs.

Welcome aboard Lingen. That Wayzata qb throws a nice ball to the TE in the flat. Too early to offer him?

I'll send that right after you send him one telling him not to offer players already committed to other schools.
You're the idiot who thinks you know more about recruiting than him. Way out of my paygrade to question any of his offers. Go get 'em Jer.

You're the idiot who thinks you know more about recruiting than him. Way out of my paygrade to question any of his offers. Go get 'em Jer.

Name-calling, eh? Where did I say that I know more about recruiting than him? Please cite it for me.

I guarentee we would have won the Iowa game with Wayzata grads and Brewster f'ups Grant Olson (no offer; will be two-time caption at NDSU) and AJ Tarpley (very late offer; thriving at Stanford) manning two of our LBer positions. I'm happy to bring the kid on board I'm sure he'll do a great job for us. Let's fire up a few more Minnesota kids who might be on the fence for a Minnesota offer. We've missed more of these kids than we have hit home runs trying to bring players up here from Texas, et al.

Dude looks slow as hell, but congrats to him.

Name-calling, eh? Where did I say that I know more about recruiting than him? Please cite it for me.
Everything you've said has been indicating that you think you know better. You answer your own questions.
Pretty strange offer this early in the recruiting cycle and in what will be a small class. He might turn out to be the next Ben Utecht, but the strategy is totally messed up. Color me unimpressed.

I don't see why people are upset with this. Lingen is the 7th highest ranked prospect in the state. If the Gophers are going to rebuild, the best Minnesota talent needs to stay here. So far this recruiting season, that's happening! Great decision for Lingen to represent his home state!

Now if we could only keep Frank Ragnow here. . .

Everything you've said has been indicating that you think you know better. You answer your own questions.

dp gave his opinion and it was valid. you decided to take it to another level and have been defeated. but if you want to continue looking foolish please proceed. im finding a lot of humor in this pissing match

dp gave his opinion and it was valid. you decided to take it to another level and have been defeated. but if you want to continue looking foolish please proceed. im finding a lot of humor in this pissing match

I swear you are either Dpdoll's alter ego or you are his lap dog. Not sure which.

Jeff Borchardt 2013 (PWO) is also on the roster. Lingen in same boat as Lauer, both were injured as Jr's and came out playing great in their senior years. NDSU very close to offering (kid has a lot of family in Fargo) and Rutgers caught wind of Lingen and was preparing to bring him out. I agree about U missing on Olson and Tarpley, both playing ball at high levels, but that was a different staff. In fact Wofford was all set to offer Lingen tonight as they have a Wayzata TE (Zach Muller). U of M realized that the offers were going to start piling up so they pulled the trigger. To me it shows they know how to do their homework and shut down the borders and own their backyard. Ski-U-Mah.

I swear you are either Dpdoll's alter ego or you are his lap dog. Not sure which.
Lol what I meant to say is "trust coach kill, he turns water into wine...he is seated at the right hand of the father..." Is that better philly?

The staff has been holding onto scholarships in this class like they are gold. Out of 8 commits, 3 are big-time recruits that could go practically anywhere they wanted (Jones, Mayes, Elmore), two are midwestern kids with good offer lists (McKinzy, Stelter), and 2 were lightly recruited but the staff made them a high priority and offered last spring (Richardson, Williams). The Lingen offer/commitment means one of 3 things:

1. The staff liked him a lot at camp, was very impressed with his senior film, and decided they couldn't let the #7 ranked player in the state get away.
2. All of the above, but they see him at a different position (OL, DE).
3. Another development has taken place (potential transfer, etc.) that we don't know about yet.

The staff also closely watch George Behr and Zach Hovey, and decided that out of the 3 they wanted Lingen. Even though it's somewhat of a head-scratcher, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt since they have been very selective so far.

Top Bottom