Gophers dead last in 2016 Recruiting

hungan1

Reaction score
With only five or six remaining scholies, the Gophers definitely need to get busy and win 8 to 10 games this season to secure higher caliber recruits in the next recruiting class.

The sky is falling, the sky is falling.

Our+pets+heads+are+falling+off_e4ff71_3571712.jpg

2016 may be Kill's best recruits, but they need to restock.

Penn St has had killer recruiting classes the past couple years and they are on top of the B1G East, right? Or maybe recruiting rankings don't tell the whole story...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

What's alarming is look at the offer list and see how many kids have already committed to other schools. Other than the DL/OL Green who is visiting the weekend of the Colorado State game, and a 2* DB visiting late November, we've nothing else scheduled in visits.

Penn St has had killer recruiting classes the past couple years and they are on top of the B1G East, right? Or maybe recruiting rankings don't tell the whole story...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Agreed. The staff shouldn't even bother recruiting because it's a clear waste of time.

not worried at all. this staff will coach them up. we have some diamonds in the rough that were overlooked for sure. we don't recruit starts, we recruit to our system.

not worried at all. this staff will coach them up. we have some diamonds in the rough that were overlooked for sure. we don't recruit starts, we recruit to our system.

Yuck. This method has delivered 40 years of mostly bad football.

not worried at all. this staff will coach them up.

But this is a different staff than the previous four years (I felt the exact same as you in '14 and '15). I don't know if OBrien can coach them up. I don't know if JJohnson can coach them up. I don't know if Bart Miller can coach them up. I don't know if the interim LB coach can coach them up. I don't know if Head Coach Claeys can coach them up (on offense).

I wonder if Sherels illness has something to do with this. He seemed to be one of the Gophers best recruiters until his illness set in.

"Coaching them up and recruiting to our system" has not produced an over all winning record in the BIG.
The diamonds remain a little rough.

"Coaching them up and recruiting to our system" has not produced an over all winning record in the BIG.
The diamonds remain a little rough.

What we need to do is hire a head coach who is great at recruiting!......

I'm not so much worried about the guys who we have committed...like someone else mentioned we only have like 2 or 3 more visits lined up and 1 of those guys is already committed elsewhere. After Colorado St we only have 4 more home games to get guys here to see. I don't want us scraping at the bottom of the barrel for the who's left in the recruiting pool.

Some of our commits are under the radar guys that are likely their scores increased when they are reevaluated. There seems to be at least one in season and an end of season reevaluation. A move from a two star or low level three star to a mid level three star is worth a lot of recruiting points. I wouldn't panic until the end of the season.

What we need to do is hire a head coach who is great at recruiting!......

Right on!! Let's get the slick talking, high energy, sell the shirt off your back salesman who can get all the 4-stars to come north and talk about how his hot chili will burn through hardened steel and we'll see BT Championship plaques and Rose Bowl trophies filling up the trophy cases. We've never had one of them here before. I see no reason why we can't have a coach like that. What can possibly go wrong? Brilliant!!!!!!

I'm not so much worried about the guys who we have committed...like someone else mentioned we only have like 2 or 3 more visits lined up and 1 of those guys is already committed elsewhere. After Colorado St we only have 4 more home games to get guys here to see. I don't want us scraping at the bottom of the barrel for the who's left in the recruiting pool.

In football recruiting there's always a lot of movement in December and January -- new players on the radar as well as decommits. If we have a good season, we'll pick up some quality players.

So let's have a good season.

If we win 8-10 games this year, it'll probably have more of an effect on 2018 recrootin. It may help 2017 if some guys are on the fence...but the dye is already cast otherwise with many of them.

We're doomed. All these kids with gopher dreams and we refuse to go get them

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

Or just hire a coach who can recruit and coach. You know like what Wisconsin and Iowa have done for the last 20 years.

I think you need to clarify. Wisc has done a little better according to recruiting class rankings, but not by much. MN and IA seem to consistently be close to each other in the rankings.

I'm not sure why so many completely dismiss the recruiting rankings. I guess if you are perpetually happy with 6-8 win seasons we're right where we should be. There is obviously some correlation to pulling in top 25 classes and finishing in the top 25.

Does our staff and every staff in America recruit to their system? Yes. Has our staff found some "diamonds in the rough?" Yes. Have our diamonds in the rough delivered the ultimate results we want to see in the football program? No.

I think this class is really hard to evaluate right now. Andries is a blue chip recruit who had a huge offer list. What's unclear is how good Abojei, London, and Bursch are. All 3 were happy committing to MN early and weren't interested in the camp circuit. It's possible all 3 are a lot better than their recruiting rankings suggest.

Given that last season was disappointing, it makes sense to hold out hope for a good 2016 season and use that to sell recruits. The staff is in on some really good players and is on the road recruiting this week, we will see some additional OVs pop up soon.

Or just hire a coach who can recruit and coach. You know like what Wisconsin and Iowa have done for the last 20 years.

Are you suggesting that Claeys can't recruit and that he should be let go?

Recruiting has dipped this year because the team went 5-7 and Jerry Kill retired. Claeys has very little name recognition and basically has to start fresh similar to what Kill had to do when he came here in 2010. Consistent progress should manifest itself in the recruiting rankings just like it did with Kill. The staff has clearly shown an ability to develop lesser recruited players and given their recruiting strategy (recruiting the 33% of future NFL talent that end up at non-power 5 schools) I'm not at all panicking. They are putting talent on the field and in the league but they need the right pieces to come into play such as scheme, specific coaches, facilities, etc. to really make noise in the B1G. While anything could happen in the couple of years, I believe that those pieces are starting to come into place.

For the record, recruiting rankings correlate with success but at a school like Minnesota you have to build your way up to get to the point where you can compete with the big boys. The staff has said in the past that they model their recruiting after Michigan State, a program that has shown that the strategy works.

Top Bottom