Gophers Crush Maryland: Post-Game Reaction Thread

Come again

I like PJ but he lacks a killer instinct. He is almost more scared with the lead than without it. If you are afraid to throw with a 5th year QB and a great offensive line, then when will he ever not be scared? It's a standard two minute drill, at home, against a below average team. He needs to change this mentality or our ceiling under him is limited. Some day when we need a two-minute drive we will fail because we passed on opportunities to run it in previous games.

One last thing on the end of the half. It would be one thing if Minnesota had a kicker making 90% of his kicks and was rock solid. They don’t they have a transfer that is making 50% of his kicks so holding it for a field goal is a 50/50 shot you get 3 points or no points. It’s hardly a guaranty you are gonna get points. Plus add in the possibility of a block and it just seems odd.
You have a 5th year quarterback, an o-line that’s like 24, and a 4th year wide receiver. Who do you trust more them or a transfer kicker.

It’s not different then when the Vikings lost to Arizona. You have all that talent and money into an offense and you’re gonna let a kicker from the practice squad try to win the game. Sometimes I think fleck puts his faith in the wrong people. He always plays up Morgan but he seems to have a really short leash as well.

Two HUGE drops. much closer game if they just CATCH the ball.
Yup drive ending drops.

Goes to show you that good QBs picking good teams... makes sense.

Can't just make a bad team better as a QB.

They also lost to bowling green.
If flecks motto is to improve your best then lest improve our best and find a bleeping field goal kicker.
dVHQ7ME.gif

There are some, ahem, "Gopher fans" here who just can't seem to let go of their favorite game... the Bowling Green game.

For you guys: Jethro Tull, Living in the Past...

Last edited:

One last thing on the end of the half. It would be one thing if Minnesota had a kicker making 90% of his kicks and was rock solid. They don’t they have a transfer that is making 50% of his kicks so holding it for a field goal is a 50/50 shot you get 3 points or no points. It’s hardly a guaranty you are gonna get points. Plus add in the possibility of a block and it just seems odd.
You have a 5th year quarterback, an o-line that’s like 24, and a 4th year wide receiver. Who do you trust more them or a transfer kicker.

It’s not different then when the Vikings lost to Arizona. You have all that talent and money into an offense and you’re gonna let a kicker from the practice squad try to win the game. Sometimes I think fleck puts his faith in the wrong people. He always plays up Morgan but he seems to have a really short leash as well.
Cut Trickett a break. How many of his misses have been from 45+ or even 50 yards? Anything over 40 yards is a crap shoot for most college teams. Trickett has been just fine this season.

I really loved what Dylan Wright did the first couple games this year...Now he cant get even see a target...I wonder if he sticks around next year.
We threw it 12 times. He is a freshman. Pretty sure he has to sit out a year if he transfers again. Autman-Bell is a senior. Fleck is putting wrs in the NFL. I’d be shocked if he left.

I think, knowing very little about football, the the bowling green loss might be a blessing in disguise.

Maybe I am justifying, with maroon glasses, but it feels like we are not taking anything for granted!

Yesterday's game got over at 4:30 am in my time zone.... enjoying the ride!!

I think, knowing very little about football, the the bowling green loss might be a blessing in disguise.

Maybe I am justifying, with maroon glasses, but it feels like we are not taking anything for granted!

Yesterday's game got over at 4:30 am in my time zone.... enjoying the ride!!

Thanks for being a fan!

Bottom line: unless you thought the Gophers were contenders for the CFP, the Bowling Green loss means exactly nothing. The B1G West, the B1G Championship and a top tier bowl destination are completely unaffected by the Bowling Green loss.

Wright#16 was on the field at least 4-5 times today...basically when CrAB#7 was out.

Tanner threw to him three times by my count...all were misses...and one of those was on Tanner for throwing behind Wright. The first was a drop in coverage that he'll catch in the future.

The game plan today was to run the ball. Wright has potential with the time on the field. Tanner had confidence to throw to him which is good to see.

Meanwhile, very much impressed with Bucko#4 as well as Williams and Thomas. With this experienced O-line and these back we do have a running game that compares to Mo and Trey. We are truly blessed.

Also great to see Mo out there without his scooter. Very good sign.

Cut Trickett a break. How many of his misses have been from 45+ or even 50 yards? Anything over 40 yards is a crap shoot for most college teams. Trickett has been just fine this season.
Glad I'm not the only one who is not feeling very down on Trickett. I thought I remember he hit a 50 yarder against Ohio state, has now missed a couple of 50 yarders, and then missed an extra point and maybe a 35 yarder against Colorado, but I'm willing to chalk those up as dumb mistakes rather than evidence that he's just a bad kicker. I see people dump on him for missing 50 yard field goals, and I wonder if it's just Vikings fans who have been traumatized by too many heartbreaking losses at the hands of missed chip shot field goals, and so they just believe Minnesota kickers, college and pro, have always been and always will be terrible, and never to be counted on, and they've totally forgotten that Minnesota had the best kicker in the Big Ten just a few years ago. I don't watch the Vikings, but I've gotten the sense that blowing games they should have won due to poor field goal kicking is much more of a pattern with the Vikings than the Gophers.

I'm no expert, and I could be misremembering, but I really don't think there's a pattern yet of Trickett consistently missing easy kicks, but it feels like for some fans, every kicker is Blair Walsh until proven otherwise.

Top Bottom