Gophers among favorites to land 4-star 2023 center Dennis Evans

If the guy wanted money, he would ditch the Gophers/TCU and completely open up his recruitment.

I don't like the play from TCU to offer NIL, smells like desperation to me....

Let's go Ben & Co.
Agree, Kansas would be the favorite if NIL was a big factor.

Like it or not, NIL is now part of the college landscape.

for some recruits, it might be the deciding factor. for other recruits, the school and coaches will be more important.

but - if you're a 17-yr old kid and some booster or collective is offering you major amounts of money, it's going to have an impact. (unless your family is already rolling in dough....)

so far, the Gophers have indicated they want to do NIL "the right way." other schools are not going to impose the same restrictions.

bottom line - if NIL is the deciding factor for a recruit, the Gophers are not going to win many of those battles. file that one under "life isn't fair."

Any idea what time Monday decision? Also no Instagram for me. Damn

If the guy wanted money, he would ditch the Gophers/TCU and completely open up his recruitment.

I don't like the play from TCU to offer NIL, smells like desperation to me....

Let's go Ben & Co.
I’m guessing TCU donors gives NILmoney to mostly everybody

Damn, he bulked up a ton this off-season.

Impressive! and hard to do when you got them long limbs.

That’s awesome. He got schooled last year, just as most Freshmen do, and he so he spent the time in the weight room lifting and building his confidence maybe he’ll be the X factor this year, per Tony!

Lol I'm happy to never post again if I'm wrong. I love the Gophers and want Evans to commit to us. Literally sharing what I heard from someone who is on the team. News like BJ/Jenkins visiting him is a sign that my source is off the mark. Go Gophers!

Just joking 🙃 around

You should post more

Yes, he would have. Don't give up till the fat lady sings.
So if Evans had committed to TCU earlier this week, you think BJ and Dixon would have both gone down to Cali yesterday? Very unlikely.

Hope Marcus Fuller is right:

Gophers basketball coach Ben Johnson and assistant Marcus Jenkins visited five-star California center Dennis Evans on Thursday to give their final pitch before he makes his decision.

The 7-1 senior at Riverside Hillcrest is expected to announce his college choice early Monday between the Gophers and Texas Christian.

Evans also met with TCU coach Jamie Dixon and his assistant on Thursday, but signs point toward the Gophers being the favorite. Not only was Minnesota his last official visit earlier this month, but his former AAU teammate Jaden Henley is a Gophers freshman wing.

It is important for Evans to note that NIL money can come at any time. If Gophers start winning this year or next ,there will be a lot of opportunities for even more NIL monies as compared to what he may get with a great season(s) at TCU. This town just needs the match to be lit and help remind people how powerful Gopher basketball can be.
Is there a reason the U can't put together an NIL package even if it isn't as much?

Gophers basketball coach Ben Johnson and assistant Marcus Jenkins visited five-star California center Dennis Evans on Thursday to give their final pitch before he makes his decision.

The 7-1 senior at Riverside Hillcrest is expected to announce his college choice early Monday between the Gophers and Texas Christian.

Evans also met with TCU coach Jamie Dixon and his assistant on Thursday, but signs point toward the Gophers being the favorite. Not only was Minnesota his last official visit earlier this month, but his former AAU teammate Jaden Henley is a Gophers freshman wing.
This is everything that has populated this board for a month. Is Marcus closer to the inner circle than we are, or is he just reading our optimistic speculation?

Cynicism aside, I hope he's right.;)

Marcus doesn't usually spew hot takes, so I'm taking that as a sign someone on the staff told him something.

Last presentation- always good for some recency bias.

Great that he gets to chill over the weekend and make an informed, mature decision.

Man he carries himself like an old soul.

Is there a reason the U can't put together an NIL package even if it isn't as much?
That's what DinkyTown Athletes is for, and I suspect they are in for some, but not what Texas sports fanatics would be in for.

The rational choice is Minnesota for a lot of reasons mentioned, but the one I haven't heard is that TCU is in a conference with an uncertain future at best, and almost certain that he would have less exposure there than here. Classic decision of taking the immediate best presumable offer at the expense what is likely better in the long-term.

That's what DinkyTown Athletes is for, and I suspect they are in for some, but not what Texas sports fanatics would be in for.

The rational choice is Minnesota for a lot of reasons mentioned, but the one I haven't heard is that TCU is in a conference with an uncertain future at best, and almost certain that he would have less exposure there than here. Classic decision of taking the immediate best presumable offer at the expense what is likely better in the long-term.
I'm sure TCU has more rich donors, but I assume they are mostly football-centric. Their old arena was a glorified high school gym.

Lol I'm happy to never post again if I'm wrong. I love the Gophers and want Evans to commit to us. Literally sharing what I heard from someone who is on the team. News like BJ/Jenkins visiting him is a sign that my source is off the mark. Go Gophers!
I think only Evan's knows for sure at this point

No one will hold against you

Ben was like cool -

Doesn't sound like he told dixon hes committed, but maybe they were there because they didn't want minnesota with last shot. Lol looks like this is coming down to last second.
I'm sure TCU has more rich donors, but I assume they are mostly football-centric. Their old arena was a glorified high school gym.
And ours to anyone under 50 is probably not a positive either. Ha. Don’t go there 😎

Marcus doesn't usually spew hot takes, so I'm taking that as a sign someone on the staff told him something.
I mean, it sounds like speculation--like what you'd say if you didn't know anything but were being forced to place a bet on the outome.

I hope your speculation about his seeming-speculation is correct. I have found it to be true that beat reporters typically don't say something like this unless they know something, but they have to make it sound like a guess so they don't betray a source. 🤞

And ours to anyone under 50 is probably not a positive either. Ha. Don’t go there 😎
It's cool when it's full, not when it's empty, but they no longer have to practice there at least. That said, I'm all in favor of a new Barn.

I mean, it sounds like speculation--like what you'd say if you didn't know anything but were being forced to place a bet on the outome.

I hope your speculation about his seeming-speculation is correct. I have found it to be true that beat reporters typically don't say something like this unless they know something, but they have to make it sound like a guess so they don't betray a source. 🤞
I don't recall him speculating on commitments often though, even when it was obvious they weren't coming here (Winter etc.)

It's cool when it's full, not when it's empty, but they no longer have to practice there at least. That said, I'm all in favor of a new Barn.
I will argue that, played in an intramural league at the barn, the elevated floor, at the time the floor was springy so getting up and down the court was easier, it was like playing on a stage, would take it over any other venue I've ever seen.

I just get the feeling that Evans is slightly leaning towards Minnesota...but that TCU will offer him $300K plus some other gifts, and he won't be able to turn that down.

If it was about the money, he would be still considering schools like USC, UCLA, Louisville etc. His AAU coach, who also coached Henley, said the same thing that Evans really doesn't care about the NIL money. He cares more about a coach that will push him hard and one that will personally work with him, which Ben would.
May not be a priority. But if it’s a dead heat between two coaches/schools he really can see himself with, it may come into play. That’s the problem, even if it wasn’t initially a top priority.

Top Bottom