GopherHole's Sports Huddle Summary: Coach Jerry Kill - 9/6/15

DL65

Reaction score
For the second consecutive Sunday, WCCO’s Sports Huddle with Minnesota Gopher Coach Jerry Kill originated from the Minnesota State Fair. The Minnesota Alumni Band opened the show playing the Minnesota Rouser.

As always, Jerry Kill sounded proud and positive when discussing his team’s play in the TCU game; however, he did express his concern with the health of the team because of some injuries that occurred in the hard-fought, physical game.

1) Sid asked Kill for his thoughts in losing to the Horned Frogs when they had a chance to win the game:

“I think the big thing is – was disappointing (game) came down to two or three plays . . . fumbling at the two (TCU’s red zone),” Kill said. He also referenced Josh Campion not being able to play and that Ben Lauer was filling in at Campion's position when he wasn’t a hundred per cent (hobbled with a leg injury). Kill cited the TCU pass rush around Lauer that led to the game’s first fumble, when quarterback Mitch Leidner was stripped of the ball while trying to pass.

Nevertheless, Kill had some positive remarks about his team in their loss to TCU. “A lot of positives . . . We lined up against one of the best teams in the country.” (As a result, they (Gopher team and coaches) know a lot more about their team, having played a very good opponent, rather than an "unknown" team.)

Kill, however, also bemoaned the importance that two Gopher fumbles played in the game: Leidner’s fumble when he was blind-sided deep in Gopher territory, which led to TCU’s first touchdown in the first quarter, and Roderick Williams’ fumble at the Horned Frogs two-yard line. “Can’t fumble,” if you hope to win, especially against a quality team.

2) Sid wanted to know what freshmen played in the opening game:

“Rodney Smith played very well . . . Kiante Hardin did good things (especially) on special teams,” Kill replied. Kill also referenced the play of wide receiver Rashad Still in positive terms and that Shannon Brooks needs to play and get some reps.

Kill ended the question by saying they’ll play five or six freshmen; however, the team’s injuries would/could dictate the number of first-year players seeing the field this season.

3) Sid asked for a status report of Josh Campion and Ben Lauer, and if the duo will be available for next Saturday’s game against Colorado State:

“I really don’t know,” Kill answered. Josh Campion sat out the TCU game because of a concussion; however, Ben Lauer should be better, health-wise, as he recovers from his leg injury.

After answering Sid’s query, Kill proceeded to talk in positive terms about a few offensive linemen and their play against TCU. Kill said, “Foster Bush played his tail off . . . Connor Mayes (had) his first start . . . Brian Bobek (had) his first start . . . first game of the year against the number two game in the country.”

With a cautionary note, Kill said, “We got banged up pretty good.”

4) Sid asked about this year’s team in comparison to last year’s contingent, referencing last year’s loss to TCU in Fort Worth:

“I feel we’re better; and so is TCU . . . Our kids played their hearts out . . . We have a good football team,” Kill replied.

Kill then turned his attention and comments to the upcoming game with the Colorado State Rams. He said the Rams have all seniors on defense, their skill players are similar to TCU, have an All-American receiver, and that their quarterback had a good game yesterday.

His final comments to the Sid’s question reverted back to TCU. Kill said Trevonne Boykin is a good quarterback – a former receiver – and that he can pass accurately throwing sidearm. He also was very complimentary in his appraisal of TCU’s receivers.

5) Dave Mona raised the topic of the game being a sell-out and that the student section was active in their cheering the Gophers on against the number two team in the country:

“I tell you what . . . . Tremendous atmosphere . . . we need that every week . . . It was great . . . I can’t, players can’t be more appreciative!" Kill answered. He added, “We’re disappointed, but time to move on.”

6) Sid asked this morning's final question, which was about the possibility of more freshmen seeing the field (which I took as being next week against CSU):

Kill quickly responded, “With injuries that we’ve got, it’s a possibility.” Coach didn’t want to divulge the nature of injuries and the players affected.

Go Gophers!!

Thanks...we always know we can count on you!

Thanks DL. Not good news with Kill mentioning more than once that we suffered some injuries.

Nobody asked Kill about his assessment of the band?!?! (Ok I'm done)

Thanks for the recap. Really hope the injuries suffered are minor. Can't wait for the Colorado State game. Want the Gophers to just pummel them. Get that first W.

Thank you DL 65. Injuries are a huge part of the game. With an injured left tackle, if you have time you could adjust the blocking, chip a back, add a tight end. I am confident they will have this taken care of for CSU.

I'm surprised he didn't mention Huff , I thought he was very impressive.

Thanks. Surprised he didn't pin the loss solely on ML7 [emoji57]

Thanks, DL. Jerry is holding information close about the team. We have a chance at an excellent season and he obviously isn't helping out any opposing coaches. I sense he likes ours chances for a great season.

Many thanks again DL. In regards to the question about which true Freshmen played, Gophersports had this to say:

"• A total of 12 Minnesota players made their collegiate debuts for the Gophers during tonight’s game. They are: KiAnte Hardin, Ace Rogers, Cody Poock, Hunter Register, Jeff Jones, Julian Huff, Melvin Holland Jr., Rodney Smith, Payton Jordahl, Blake Cashman, Emmit Carpenter, and Rashad Still."

Those highlighted in bold are true Freshmen.

Many thanks again DL. In regards to the question about which true Freshmen played, Gophersports had this to say: "• A total of 12 Minnesota players made their collegiate debuts for the Gophers during tonight’s game. They are: KiAnte Hardin, Ace Rogers, Cody Poock, Hunter Register, Jeff Jones, Julian Huff, Melvin Holland Jr., Rodney Smith, Payton Jordahl, Blake Cashman, Emmit Carpenter, and Rashad Still." Those highlighted in bold are true Freshmen.

Hunter Register burned his redshirt??

Many thanks again DL. In regards to the question about which true Freshmen played, Gophersports had this to say:

"• A total of 12 Minnesota players made their collegiate debuts for the Gophers during tonight’s game. They are: KiAnte Hardin, Ace Rogers, Cody Poock, Hunter Register, Jeff Jones, Julian Huff, Melvin Holland Jr., Rodney Smith, Payton Jordahl, Blake Cashman, Emmit Carpenter, and Rashad Still."

Those highlighted in bold are true Freshmen.

Cashman had an awesome tackle on special teams. Absolutely laid the return man out.

Top Bottom