GopherHolers: A Fleck temperature check

How are we feeling about PJ Fleck?

• Awful - Fleck needs to be fired now

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • Bad - Can’t take this for much longer. Seat should be warm at least

Votes: 69 36.1%
  • So-so - Don’t want him fired, but need to see improvement

Votes: 100 52.4%
  • Fine or above - How dare anyone call for PJ’s job!

Votes: 11 5.8%

• Total voters
Take away the Wally "pick almost-6" and we score 10 points on under 250 yards of offense. Putting this another way, for the first 58 minutes of the game, we were held to under 200 yards of total offense - which would be behind 2023 Iowa (235 yards/game). If UNC turns out to be a powerhouse, I will take back everything on this. But, I don't see how this can be classified as anything but laying an egg at home given what we know at this time.

Fleck has never been capable of making in-game adjustments (seems to be a curse for all Gopher coaches) and if he cannot seem to figure out how to manage time-outs, I have no faith in his ability to adjust to things many times more complex.
I was just thinking the same thing with respect to the long return. People keep pointing out we were a missed FG away from winning it, but we were that play away from not even being in it at the end. That cuts both ways.

Our coach doesn't matter unless we have enough NIL money for players.

That said
I would enjoy watching a higher variance style of play, go down slinging it.

With Mason you all are forgetting that Mason had Geordie Shaw as a OL.coach.

When I was 13 years old Warmath’s Men won a NC and lost the RB game to Washington in 1960I’m 77 now and can’t believe some here might actually throw in the towel after losing one game…the first game. Buck up. Win the next game. Play better. Shock the crap out of some of these quitters! I’ve seen a wide range of football from my Gopher team over the decades.

Some folks really know their football, have really high expectations and all that good stuff . But they get so upset and po’d and want to fire people.

Guess I feel lucky to not know much football yet still just keep rooting for wins. Big Ten wins especially!

With Mason you all are forgetting that Mason had Geordie Shaw as a OL.coach.
Mason and Shaw had a system whereby they could take mid-tier talent on the OL and coach them up to a dominant running game which enabled, over time, better recruiting of RB talent. Was this enough to beat OSU and Michigan head to head consistently? No - but, I thought we had a chance entering all the games. Also, they always suffered from poor QB play but this is because the system featured the running game so difficult to recruit QB and WR talent.

Mason and Shaw had a system whereby they could take mid-tier talent on the OL and coach them up to a dominant running game which enabled, over time, better recruiting of RB talent. Was this enough to beat OSU and Michigan head to head consistently? No - but, I thought we had a chance entering all the games. Also, they always suffered from poor QB play but this is because the system featured the running game so difficult to recruit QB and WR talent.

Esslinger and Sederstrom mid tier talent? Also, I’d love to have Cupito or AAK right now.

Esslinger and Sederstrom mid tier talent? Also, I’d love to have Cupito or AAK right now.
Eslinger and Setterstrom were not highly regarded coming out of high school. Obviously they were both phenomenal players for us who were able to slid into the starting lineup right away as true freshman. But in terms of high school rankings they would be seen as mid tier talents.

Browning and Shaw were very good at identifying OL who fit their scheme and could be successful here. They tended towards smaller/quicker lineman as opposed to the big road graders.

Why I am optimistic:

1.) There were a dozen or so plays that seemed to go against the Gophers, where if any one of them change we win.
2.) The defense seemed legit, as does the overall talent on the team (weak at WR, and OL seemed to be a weakness vs a strength).
3.) What Brosmer did in the final 2 minutes gives me reason and hope that he can throw receivers open and that the he seemed to gain confidence as the game went on.
4.) We will get Taylor back.

Why I am fearful:
1.) We got outcoached coming out of half (they made adjustments and we did not) which scares me for how we will adjust and coach game to game.
2.) I don't know if Fleck can change who Fleck is when it comes to calling games.

We did not lose to NC because of Fleck, but if Fleck coaches differently we do win that game. When we beat Iowa in a few weeks, people will be talking about how great Fleck is and talking about how we should beat Michigan (which we probably will). This team is good and we just laid an egg against a good opponent, but we did show we have things to build upon.

I trust in Fleck to get us where we need to go and I think it will be sooner than people think
How long has PJ been here again?

Fleck picked the OC.
Yes he did and it makes me wonder what his options were. My guess is they were limited.

The coaching fraternity knows what is going on in CFB programs. Coaches understand Fleckball. Said that, what successful OC would choose to work in his system?

Yes he did and it makes me wonder what his options were. My guess is they were limited.

The coaching fraternity knows what is going on in CFB programs. Coaches understand Fleckball. Said that, what successful OC would choose to work in his system?
It could be a catch-22 with Fleck and his philosophy. I would think there's great OCs in G5 or FCS who he could target. Would be a big step up in pay and visibility for them.

I agree with this (except the 0-12 by 30 exaggeration). As for the bolded, I think that will happen soon, likely after this year, if there is returned interest. PJ tried to make it happen with UCLA this past offseason, but they weren’t interested. His stock is declining.
From what we do know say it was probably the other way around. UCLA traveled to meet with Fleck. They wouldn't do that if they weren't interested.

I think it's possible they weren't interested for the price tag he was asking for or something like that but there was interest from UCLA to some degree.

If UCLA passed on him for Foster, then it most likely was because of money. My guess is there was mutual interest to some degree anyways.

Top Bottom