GopherHole.com Exclusive: Insight behind Trevor Mbakwe's No Contact Issue

Good golly Miss Molly, this has been about an emotional roller-coaster. I'm just praying they'll let the guy play against Purdue.

Nadine, I will sleep better tonight because of your insight. Thanks.

It is a disgrace that (a) you do not work more influentially with a major news outlet in this market (I know you have a blog, but I mean having a regular column or beat), and (b) that because you don't, most people in the general public will misread this story as being a bigger problem than it is. Jo Schmo will just see the headline, and think "oh those gopher players, still just a bunch of thugs, gettin arrested". It sickens me.

Also, come on Trevor, think.

Will this arrest violate Mbakwe's pretrial program? It seems to me he had to avoid arrests for his six month program or face greater penalties. I can't find the news article from the Florida paper I'd originally read, but here is the ESPN blurb

Are we really out of the woods?

My inner gopher finds that hard to believe

PostScript: Didn't see the other post on this.
I can't see how this doesn't violate most pretrial agreements without knowing the specifics of his. His only hope is a lenient judge and not some law spewing robot.

Based on Nadine's article, it sounds like the extra 1 year on the original 1 year restraining order was pursued by Trevor and his current girlfriend, almost a mutual sort of restraining order?

Nope, from what I understand, it was 2 years to begin with.

I guess that this woman wanted the restraining order on both of them, but she actually was the one that was calling and contacting them. It was something they wanted to fight, but since it was right at the time of his legal issues in Miami they were advised to just take the No Contact Order because the woman would have to leave them alone too, and it wasn't worth fighting.

Nadine, I will sleep better tonight because of your insight. Thanks.

It is a disgrace that (a) you do not work more influentially with a major news outlet in this market (I know you have a blog, but I mean having a regular column or beat), and (b) that because you don't, most people in the general public will misread this story as being a bigger problem than it is. Jo Schmo will just see the headline, and think "oh those gopher players, still just a bunch of thugs, gettin arrested". It sickens me.

Also, come on Trevor, think.

Thanks, I appreciate your kind words. I just wish that I had more time to devote to this stuff - I love it, but on top of school and work, it comes 3rd.

I also wish that some of the other media outlets would link the article. I don't think we're still considered a real "news" source, as I've been reading a lot of other things that came out, and some mention the facts GH uncovered, but don't link it, or credit us...and then they only have a few of the facts mentioned, so people aren't getting a clear picture.

Don't get me wrong, Trevor was stupid, and made a mistake. But from what I initially thought when I 1st heard he was arrested to what I think now was a world apart.

Don't get me wrong, Trevor was stupid, and made a mistake. But from what I initially thought when I 1st heard he was arrested to what I think now was a world apart.

The end game for the Gopher fan may well be the same though...

I've had some knowledge of the history of this thing for quite sometime, but have left it alone in the past and will continue to leave it alone in a public forum.

I would just offer a different opinion than it seems most have -- that is, it appears the early take on this is that there will be little or no impact on Mbakwe's playing time and this is just a case of a guy being kind on Facebook.

Not saying I think it's the most likely outcome, but there is a real chance we've seen the last of Mbakwe in a Gophers uniform. I think we'll know very soon - another tough one for the staff and administration to deal with.

While I'd like to get on the happy train, the problem is now apparent violation of parole. Dumb mistakes pile up after a while.

there is a real chance we've seen the last of Mbakwe in a Gophers uniform. I think we'll know very soon - another tough one for the staff and administration to deal with.
Do you have any other info than we do GW? You can't just throw that out there and not give us something?! :confused:

I know you may want to keep it confidential, but can you offer up why you think there's a real chance he'll never play for us again?

Based on Nadine's article, it sounds like the extra 1 year on the original 1 year restraining order was pursued by Trevor and his current girlfriend, almost a mutual sort of restraining order?

How did they do that without breaking the first restraining order?

I've had some knowledge of the history of this thing for quite sometime, but have left it alone in the past and will continue to leave it alone in a public forum.

Sounds good. Then I'll see you at "5 Guys" at 5:05 on Thursday. I'll be the one unable to eat all of his fries.

Thanks, I appreciate your kind words. I just wish that I had more time to devote to this stuff - I love it, but on top of school and work, it comes 3rd.

I also wish that some of the other media outlets would link the article. I don't think we're still considered a real "news" source, as I've been reading a lot of other things that came out, and some mention the facts GH uncovered, but don't link it, or credit us...and then they only have a few of the facts mentioned, so people aren't getting a clear picture.

For what it's worth, Rosen credited Gopherhole with the info this morning on KFAN.

Regardless of how silly or not silly it is to use a Facebook message as a violation of a no-contact order, there is something else that really bothers me here.

Why did the legal system need to even be used in this relationship, to begin with? I mean, no one i know has ever had a no-contact or restraining order, without significant physical threats or escalating harassment issues. What other unknown legal issues are out there? I gotta be honest, this changes my whole perspective on Trevor, right or wrong. One legal incident, i'm willing to give benefit of the doubt. Two legal incidents (that we know of), i start to see smoke.

No kidding. You've got a whack-job like that on your hands, excise her from your life completely, and that includes Facebook and everything else.
One of them should have "blocked" the other on Facebook - then neither of the them could have seen each other's profile, let alone give Trevor the option to post on her wall.

was is a wall post or message, because if it was a wall post they were still 'friends' implying they were both doubly stupid for not even ending that (and perhaps suggesting its the girl being psycho)

One of them should have "blocked" the other on Facebook - then neither of the them could have seen each other's profile, let alone give Trevor the option to post on her wall.
Sounds like this was the case. From the gopherhole article:

Apparently, Mbakwe got together with a mutual friend and sent her a message via Facebook, and the message read “I hope all is well with you.”

Quote:
Apparently, Mbakwe got together with a mutual friend and sent her a message via Facebook, and the message read “I hope all is well with you.”

If someone sent me a message like that I would be horrified and feel threatened. I would call the police immediately.:rolleyes:

Joel will get to the bottom of this!!! Mark my words. Maturi will take immediate and decisive action :eek:

Quote:

If someone sent me a message like that I would be horrified and feel threatened. I would call the police immediately.:rolleyes:

I get where you're coming from, but we have no idea what the history is between the two people. If I sent you that message on facebook, then yes, it would be ridiculous to call the police. If a person who escaped a violent relationship received that message from the abuser, then it would be an issue. I'm not saying that Trevor did anything wrong, but if you are truly afraid of an individual and have good reason to be, then even a message like this could be portrayed as a threat. Or, the ex could just be a crazy person with some sort of deep-seeded hatred and wants to cause unnecessary vengeance. My point is that we can't really make a rush to judgment on this until we know more about that history between TM and the ex.

I get where you're coming from, but we have no idea what the history is between the two people. If I sent you that message on facebook, then yes, it would be ridiculous to call the police. If a person who escaped a violent relationship received that message from the abuser, then it would be an issue. I'm not saying that Trevor did anything wrong, but if you are truly afraid of an individual and have good reason to be, then even a message like this could be portrayed as a threat. Or, the ex could just be a crazy person with some sort of deep-seeded hatred and wants to cause unnecessary vengeance. My point is that we can't really make a rush to judgment on this until we know more about that history between TM and the ex.

I totally agree, as I have stated in other posts. Just saying.:)

Joel will get to the bottom of this!!! Mark my words. Maturi will take immediate and decisive action :eek:

When will we first read this from Tubby, "Trevor has some work to do before..."?

Do you still think this? I trust your opinion but I really really can't imagine that this could possibly end his Gopher career, unless you're implying that the facts are way off... Is that the case? You don't need to go into detail. Obviously it's your choice whether you think it's appropriate to talk about but I think those are reasonable questions/points to respond to.

I would just offer a different opinion than it seems most have -- that is, it appears the early take on this is that there will be little or no impact on Mbakwe's playing time and this is just a case of a guy being kind on Facebook.

Not saying I think it's the most likely outcome, but there is a real chance we've seen the last of Mbakwe in a Gophers uniform. I think we'll know very soon - another tough one for the staff and administration to deal with.

If someone has a restraining order against me, is it okay for me to stop by with flowers when they've had a bad day?

I'm just being nice...

So what did he do to get the restraining order in the first place? Was Facebook involved?

So what did he do to get the restraining order in the first place? Was Facebook involved?

Sounds like she dumped him and he kept calling and texting her and wouldn't leave her alone. That was in April of 2009.

Then the restraining order happened, and after she started acting off as well, he requested that it be a mutual no contact agreement and that was granted as well.

I'm really disappointed with those who say they are jumping off the bandwagon without know all the specifics concerning Trevor. What kind of fan are you? Sure there has been some adversity, just like there is with other programs. Trevor appears to be getting out of jail this evening. It now seems like a little more than a misunderstanding. And, how about the rest of the team? Don't they need your support more than ever?

You complain about not getting the best recruits and this and that. Well, sometimes you can be your worst enemy. Sheesh.

Yeah, I saw my uncle at work today.. He's one of those pessimistic fans that almost seems to bandwagon. He's a die hard Gopher fan, and is a HUGE reason why I am such a huge fan myself. Anyway, at work he just ripped into Tubby for only being able to recruit the thugs (White, Mbakwe, etc) and ripped Trevor for being a thug. I just told him (prior to seeing the press release) that it apparently wasn't all that bad because the insiders I know (Nadine) have said he will not be suspended. Then my uncle ripped into Maturi for not having the balls to suspend Mbakwe. Then he went on his chicken little 'The Sky is Falling' rant about the Bball team falling apart at the seams. I just had to shrug him off.

Top Bottom