GopherHiole's Sports Huddle Summary: Coach Jerry Kill - 12/28/14

DL65

Reaction score
Coach Jerry kill had a quick, abbreviated segment on ‘CCOs Sports Huddle at 9:30 a.m. Kill appeared on his weekly show between the film room and drills on the practice field. Coach Kill sounded very upbeat and energetic in his comments and answers to Sid and Dave’s questions.

1) Sid wanted to know if the coaches’ game plan was completed before they traveled to Florida for the Citrus Bowl: Kill said the Gophers game plam was completed at home, and now they’re in the process of deleting some aspects of the game plan. He was emphatic in his response when he said they’re not adding to the plan that they’ve devised. IMO, he sounded confident in his comments and response to Sid’s question.

2) Sid asked if the players have been going to places in Orlando when they're off the practice field: Again, Kill sounded very upbeat with the team appearing in Florida for a January 1 bowl game: “They (Citrus Bowl) do things right . . . Our kids went to Universal Studios . . . Our kids worked with Missouri kids (visiting and treating disadvantaged kids in Orlando).”

Kill said the players received a gift (for participating in the bowl) from Best Buy that has a value, I believe, of $447. Kill was trying to give information about the gift; however, Sid stepped on his comment by moving to another topic.

3) Sid asked, once again, asked if there are redshirts that are standing out in bowl game preparations: “Absolutely,” Kill quickly answered, “We’ve got three that would be starting.” Kill sounded very enthused and excited when he cited three receivers that are redshirts: “Isaiah Gentry – impressive – 6-4 200 pounds . . .“Desmond Gant – like his upside.” The third receiver cited enthusiastically by Kill is Melvin Holland Jr. Kill also said that the running backs “done well” in bowl game practices.

His concluding remark related to Sid’s query: “Three kids will be special.” He didn’t specifically indentify the three players, however.

4) Sid then asked if playing in this year’s bowl game was going to favorably impact the Gopher football program: “We get a head start (on next year),” said Kill.

Kill sounded very excited with next year's skill positions: “No comparison with skill players.” He was refering to the redshirted receivers, and he specifically mentioned Jeff Jones at running back. In short, we can expect to see a balanced, exciting offense, imo.

5) Dave Mona raised the topic of redshirts being eligible to play in future bowl games: According to Kill, “It’ll happen someday.” He said he’s lobbied and continues to lobby and expects the availability of red shirts for bowl games will be topic of discussion at the coaches meeting in January. He said all bowl teams are beat up and limp into their bowl game. Therefore, it’s in the interest of the players, teams and the bowl games that redshirts are allowed to play in the extra game(s). He then cited the playoff games in which the finalists will have played fifteen games at its conclusion (Physical toll that the number of games take on the athletes.)

6) In bowl game preparations, Sid wanted to know the big difference in practices between regular season games and bowl game preparations: “The school not being in session,” replied Kill. They try to keep their practice schedule and focus similar to when they’re home: “It’s like home, except warmer weather (in Florida).” The team has a lot of meeting time and their strength and conditioning workouts are being followed in Orlando.

7) Sid asked if the bowl game is helping their recruiting efforts: Kill sounded very excited when he responded: “Visibility and being in Florida and Who we’re playing (SEC Division champ).”

His final comment to Sid’s question was related to the upcoming game: “(there’s a) Ton of Gopher fans.”

8) Sid, once again, asked about the upcoming opponent: “They’re very good . . . two great defensive ends . . . they (offense) can control the football game.” Kill expressed respect for Missouri, however, he also sounded confident.

Kill’s final comment was focused on this year’s bowl team and he sounded very positive: “Our Kids attitude and effort – no comparison with last year.”

Go Gophers!!

A little off-topic, but just thinking out loud - if Mr. "Big Gopher Booster" hands a player $425, that's an NCAA violation. But the team makes it to a bowl game, and every player on the team gets to go to Best Buy and pick up $425 in free swag. If memory serves, every player on the team got a flat-screen TV at last year's bowl game. Somebody must be making $ on these games, because they are shelling out a bleep-load of cash in gifts to the players.

Back to point - I am starting to get a little nervous when Kill hypes players. I'm not sure what his agenda is, but it's making my B-S meter go off. Also, in the light of the Donavon Jones news, I wonder if the hyping of the Redshirt WR's is a thinly-veiled message to certain upperclassmen that they need to perform better to keep their position in the lineup.

If it is, more power to him. The kids should be competing to keep their spots. Nothing in life is free - the kids will be better players if they dont expect it. Sounds like Mr. Jones, while talented, wanted something he wasn't going to get.

A little off-topic, but just thinking out loud - if Mr. "Big Gopher Booster" hands a player $425, that's an NCAA violation. But the team makes it to a bowl game, and every player on the team gets to go to Best Buy and pick up $425 in free swag. If memory serves, every player on the team got a flat-screen TV at last year's bowl game. Somebody must be making $ on these games, because they are shelling out a bleep-load of cash in gifts to the players.

Back to point - I am starting to get a little nervous when Kill hypes players. I'm not sure what his agenda is, but it's making my B-S meter go off. Also, in the light of the Donavon Jones news, I wonder if the hyping of the Redshirt WR's is a thinly-veiled message to certain upperclassmen that they need to perform better to keep their position in the lineup.

You are not SHORT of ORNERY

I'm guessing the 3 players who're red-shirting, that Kill mentioned would be starting are Gentry/Holland/Jeff Jones? Thoughts?

I'm guessing the 3 players who're red-shirting, that Kill mentioned would be starting are Gentry/Holland/Jeff Jones? Thoughts?

I thought Gant or Krizancic was the third guy but now that I think about it it actually makes sense that Jeff would be the third guy and would start over Maye in the slot. Was reported to have been consistently getting separation at will at some of the camps he was at in the RB-LB one on one portions and also made some outstanding catches.

Agree on Gentry/Holland. Tough to see Kill thinking JJ would start over Cobb.

So much for the speculations. Super thanks for the report!

First thanks for the usual great report DL

5) Dave Mona raised the topic of redshirts being eligible to play in future bowl games: According to Kill, “It’ll happen someday.” He said he’s lobbied and continues to lobby and expects the availability of red shirts for bowl games will be topic of discussion at the coaches meeting in January. He said all bowl teams are beat up and limp into their bowl game. Therefore, it’s in the interest of the players, teams and the bowl games that redshirts are allowed to play in the extra game(s). He then cited the playoff games in which the finalists will have played fifteen games at its conclusion (Physical toll that the number of games take on the athletes.)

I can see that teams are beat up by this time of year. But I can see, in some ways, why redshirts are not allowed to play in bowl games, at least the big games. If RS's were allowed to play teams would be forced to prepare for games without having any (or much) video on some of the guys who would be playing. I would guess that a lot of coaches would not like that prospect. Of course the same RS's will be playing next fall and opposing coaches will be in the same boat, but it will likely be in a NC game and not a bowl game

I agree, this was the message

Jones isn't practicing yet so he's not talking about Jones (and he'd never suggest a true frosh would start over Cobb anyway). He is likely referring to Poock and the two WRs.

Thank you coach for clarifying Gentry is 6'4 and 200. This player could be very, very special.

Top Bottom