Gopher Wins in Conference

How many conference wins will the Gophers have prior to the conference tournament?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I haven’t ever been up north of the cities. I figured it was sportsmens paradise. So it is a dump huh? Like all the way from north branch to the border?

Gives us hope. Thanks for sharing.
How so? Michigan getting beat by Central Mich. doesn't exactly fill me with hope. Nebraska was supposed to be our shot...but they are hammering Iowa.

Looks like a Poisson distribution with a peak probability of about 2-1/2 wins. Sounds about right.

How so? Michigan getting beat by Central Mich. doesn't exactly fill me with hope. Nebraska was supposed to be our shot...but they are hammering Iowa.
It means anyone can beat another team on any given night. Look at Iowa losing to Eastern Illinois. This means that we go into each game with the chance that we play a complete game. It doesn't mean we will, but it means there is a chance. I watch this team to see if and when they play a complete game. Our kids are not incompetent. They just aren't complete...yet. Beeg, don't give in to seeing the glass as empty. It's not. These kids are going to figure this out. It just isn't going to happen as quickly as many here want it to happen.

I'm going with 6. In 8 years, Pitino only did worse than 6 twice (and both times, it was with only 18 games). Refuse to let myself believe Johnson would match that in his first two seasons with 2 extra games.

It means anyone can beat another team on any given night. Look at Iowa losing to Eastern Illinois. This means that we go into each game with the chance that we play a complete game. It doesn't mean we will, but it means there is a chance. I watch this team to see if and when they play a complete game. Our kids are not incompetent. They just aren't complete...yet. Beeg, don't give in to seeing the glass as empty. It's not. These kids are going to figure this out. It just isn't going to happen as quickly as many here want it to happen.
I like the freshmen. I hope they do figure it out. I want Ben to succeed but he has built this roster poorly and appears to be clueless at the moment. My hope is that they get enough wins to help Ben attract a couple of key transfers in the offseason. We cannot continue like this. A one possession win at home against APB should be enough to raise doubt in anyone.

Excluding perhaps Grand Rapids, the Range has become the Gary, Indiana of the north.
You’re the first two rangers I’ve ever heard that would actually consider GR part of the range lol. As a guy who grew up a non range northern MN guy, I’m all here for ripping on the range. Let me know where I’m needed lol.

2 sounds about right. We'll fluke our way into a couple.

I'm going with 6. In 8 years, Pitino only did worse than 6 twice (and both times, it was with only 18 games). Refuse to let myself believe Johnson would match that in his first two seasons with 2 extra games.
Pitino's 8 year conference record speaks very clearly.

You’re the first two rangers I’ve ever heard that would actually consider GR part of the range lol. As a guy who grew up a non range northern MN guy, I’m all here for ripping on the range. Let me know where I’m needed lol.
GR is the far west side of the Range with Coleraine and Hill City being nearby. But Hibbing and Virginia are the heart of the Range. Babbitt and Ely are the far east side of the Range. FlatlandKansas doesn't really know the Range as he imagines it was somehow better than it presently is. He may not realize that Gilbert had over 50 bars on main street just for the various ethnic groups to drink and...drink with their comrades after working a shift in the mines. He may not have known people who were blacklisted from the mines before unions because they refused to do extremely dangerous jobs. Perhaps he forgets the blatant racism and mistreatment of people if they weren't immigrants from the same country. As a kid, I recall the deputy sheriff being ambushed outside a bar and the deputy, thankfully, got his gun out in time to kill his attackers. Go 50 miles north of Virginia and hear the tales of lumberjacks who, after getting drunk, were tied to the railroad tracks and left to get run over by the logging trains. Perhaps he has no idea about the unregulated history of settlement in Northeast Minnesota. In that light, today's Range is much, much better.

I think there will be a handful of games they are in contention to win. Will be interesting to see how those games play out as the season progresses.

I think there will be a handful of games they are in contention to win. Will be interesting to see how those games play out as the season progresses.
Obviously making your free throws becomes key in close games like that.

Gabel & Coyle

An unqualified coaching candidate given a difficult job because of perceived need of PC as a result the George Floyd riots.
That's certainly one of those white privilege positions you can believe if you wish. I don't believe it, but you can do as you wish.

That's certainly one of those white privilege positions you can believe if you wish. I don't believe it, but you can do as you wish.
When I heard that CBJ was hired, my first thought was that I was being punked. Then I realized that he really was hired and I was was beyond pissed. It was like a thumb in the eye to Gopher basketball fans.

This was an important hire to get back interest (including my own) in the Gopher basketball program. There were several great candidates with successful track records, including Dennis Gates who was my co-favorrite for the job.

When I heard that CBJ was hired, my first thought was that I was being punked. Then I realized that he really was hired and I was was beyond pissed. It was like a thumb in the eye to Gopher basketball fans.

This was an important hire to get back interest (including my own) in the Gopher basketball program. There were several great candidates with successful track records, including Dennis Gates who was my co-favorrite for the job.
Go back and read the first few pages of the Ben Johnson was hired thread. It is scathing to say the least. You weren't alone in that sentiment, but we are here now and can only hope whatever road map he has laid will take us to success in the near future.

Go back and read the first few pages of the Ben Johnson was hired thread. It is scathing to say the least. You weren't alone in that sentiment, but we are here now and can only hope whatever road map he has laid will take us to success in the near future.
I was over the top pissed about the hire initially, and was very very vocal in that thread. And I thought RP should be fired. Now I’m in the apathy stage about the entire team/coach. I am trying to care. To be angry or engaged or hopeful. It just isn’t working. After watching nearly every game for a decade I am over it. Combination of things and not all Ben related. But my passion for other teams has increased and for gopher men’s hoops it has decreased. Season tickets are a thing of the past for me. May attend a game this year. May not.

Yep, I have not been a Snake 🐍 (Coyle) fan since the Tracey Claeys incident, but I was told he is a brilliant AD so what did I know. Coyle hired both Whalen (whom I was vocally displeased with after 2 years) and Johnson (whom I am waiting to see if he climbs out of the hole [as it seems Whalen may be doing]). If there is a person to point at and find fault, it is, for me, Mark Coyle. I find him to be...a snake 🐍.

Yep, I have not been a Snake 🐍 (Coyle) fan since the Tracey Claeys incident, but I was told he is a brilliant AD so what did I know. Coyle hired both Whalen (whom I was vocally displeased with after 2 years) and Johnson (whom I am waiting to see if he climbs out of the hole [as it seems Whalen may be doing]). If there is a person to point at and find fault, it is, for me, Mark Coyle. I find him to be...a snake 🐍.
Why were you displeased with Whalen after two years and not CBJ? How was Whalen worse in your opinion?

Why were you displeased with Whalen after two years and not CBJ? How was Whalen worse in your opinion?
What year is CBJ in? Is this year 2 or after year 2? Let's see how you do with these questions.

With Whalen, I saw her have 2 solid players quit in mid-season and Scalia leave at the end of that. Now, she has very good recruits helping her. I will see how next year's recruits change the dynamics for Johnson. If next years men's team shows the lack of effort that last year's Whalen squad showed, I will likely switch my opinion. Are you that much a hater of Johnson that you are pining for another bad season?

Last edited:

Now with 16 conference games remaining and utilizing the updated ESPN matchup predicter odds.....

Possibility of winning zero games is 9.969%
Expected Number of Wins is now 2.0768

Now with 16 conference games remaining and utilizing the updated ESPN matchup predicter odds.....

Possibility of winning zero games is 9.969%
Expected Number of Wins is now 2.0768
Is zero wins currently the most likely scenario at 10%?

Top Bottom