Gopher Volleyball 2023 Season

Of course.

And that's why the NCAA, or at least the Big Ten, needs to (re-)institute the rule saying that you can transfer but you have to sit out the next season.

Give you time to adjust to the new school, team, city/culture, and all of it.

Another great rule would be: if you're not eligible for a given season, then you're not allowed to earn NIL for that year.
NCAA volleyball did not have a sit out the season rule. And it shouldn't.

NCAA volleyball did not have a sit out the season rule. And it shouldn't.
It did for some sports, didn't for others.

Absolutely should. All-star teams will ruin volleyball.

Championship this year was joke. Why even play it? Huge turn-off, and I hope people souring on it prompts some action before the sport is completely ruined.

Without the sit out rule, women's volleyball has done just fine thank you.

Rumor has it Jenna Wenaas is a Longhorn, at least she transferred out of the B1G.

A large number of transfers are in the portal.

Like middle blocker Reagan Hope, She was injured so hard to know what she can do. Oregon beat Nebraska in the NCAA Tournament:

"Member of Team USA that competed at the 2021 FIVB U20 World Championship … highest-placing non-European team (fifth) in the competition … had 12 points—five kills, six blocks, one ace—in opener vs Russia … scored nine points—five kills, three blocks, one ace—in 3-0 win over the Dominican Republic … tallied five points—three kills, one block, one ace—in 3-2 win over Poland in fifth-place match. Ranked the No. 21 national recruit in the PrepVolleyball Top 150 … fourth among middle blockers in the country and second overall in the state of Arizona by PrepVolleyball … named the 2020-21 USA Today HS Awards Arizona state Female Athlete of the Year …"

Good grief, she even did the Longhorns hand gesture wrong (the way she has it is how NDSU fans do it).

Just hope it won’t be another thing of where the one who left (Wenaas/Barnes) is better than the one who Hugh decided was better (Wucherer/CC).

I would’ve given it the spring and let Cook and his staff make that call.

Just a quick glance.... the transfer portal looks like an all you can eat buffet. Surely Minnesota is a destination players strive join. Just a few samples below.... plus of course the Ohio State stunner transfers.

No. 53 overall prospect on the 2021 PrepVolleyball.com Top 150 player rankings. No. 9 middle blocker on the PrepVolleyball.com Top 150

"Was ranked the No. 70 overall prep player nationally in the class of 2022 by PrepVolleyball.com … Led Brandeis High School to its first-ever TX UIL 6A Volleyball State Championship...."

Carter Booth in the transfer portal.

I guess if some non-official fan account says so, then it must be true.

Weren’t only coaches supposed to have access to the portal??

No matter, the longer the announcement is delayed, means the more chance Cook and others have talked sense into her and her dad.

Just a quick glance.... the transfer portal looks like an all you can eat buffet. Surely Minnesota is a destination players strive join. Just a few out there....

No. 53 overall prospect on the 2021 PrepVolleyball.com Top 150 player rankings. No. 9 middle blocker on the PrepVolleyball.com Top 150

"Was ranked the No. 70 overall prep player nationally in the class of 2022 by PrepVolleyball.com … Led Brandeis High School to its first-ever TX UIL 6A Volleyball State Championship...."
Sure, we’ll always have someone decent. They’re unlikely to be as good as Booth though.

I'm hoping Cook will do a better job of that, I didn't know until the press conference that he didn't have a single transfer leave in his 8 years as Wash HC
Well I read or heard that too and hope he can continue on that Washington recruiting path here at Minnesota, once the air clears and the dust settles.

Nothing has a chance to change unless you can get to the root of why these players are actually leaving. Because here at Minnesota it has been going on long enough.

I do feel Booth in the portal is a family decision. I have no proof of that, but just a gut feeling. She is worth at lot more after the Freshman year she had at Minnesota.....her parents know that.

Cannot wait for this 5th year Covid elegibility is over.

Booth is overrated. Wenaas is a bigger loss in my view.
I agree about Wenaas. HUGE TOTAL LOSS in so many ways.

Booth could be an entirely different player with a different ran offense. We all know to well "the grass is not always greener on the other side".

Agree with other posters that all you have to do is look at the Lexi Sun situation.

No matter, the longer the announcement is delayed, means the more chance Cook and others have talked sense into her and her dad.

I am not in the know. What do I know.

The know says Wisconsin really badly wants Carter Booth.

1671839714933.png

That's volleytalk or that level of fanboys and nothing else. They don't "know" anything more than we do.

I am not in the know. What do I know.

The know says Wisconsin really badly wants Carter Booth.

View attachment 22675
Of course they do. The volleytalk fans want to move Smrek 6'9" back to the middle and add 6'7" Carter Booth to the mix, now that their best middle, Danielle Hart, has used her 5th and final year.

I really don't know, but I have a guess that the decision for her to come to Minnesota in the first place was Hugh having USA connections. Now Wisconsin has that elusive natty, which surely doesn't hurt either.

Hope she can prove me wrong with her intentions to transfer.

Good grief, she even did the Longhorns hand gesture wrong (the way she has it is how NDSU fans do it).

Just hope it won’t be another thing of where the one who left (Wenaas/Barnes) is better than the one who Hugh decided was better (Wucherer/CC).

I would’ve given it the spring and let Cook and his staff make that call.
Yes, it appears that Jenna is transferring to Texas. I agree that I would have given Cook a chance at least until the spring transfer period; however, things have changed. There is some pressure to transfer early while slots are available at attractive programs. It is likely that Texas will be one of the top programs again next year and she increases her chance to get a national championship. Furthermore, her family and friends can watch her play in person. Cook needs to visit with Hugh and decide the positions that they most need to get an experienced player from the portal and then act quickly.

Yes, it appears that Jenna is transferring to Texas. I agree that I would have given Cook a chance at least until the spring transfer period; however, things have changed. There is some pressure to transfer early while slots are available at attractive programs. It is likely that Texas will be one of the top programs again next year and she increases her chance to get a national championship. Furthermore, her family and friends can watch her play in person. Cook needs to visit with Hugh and decide the positions that they most need to get an experienced player from the portal and then act quickly.

This is Cook's team. There's no Hugh when it comes to evaluation and recruiting.

With Jenna Wenaas, she's from Texas. It's the hometown team. Texas is favored to win the championship. Texas is not in the Big Ten. Nothing wrong there.

The portal moves both ways.

Leaving Texas for the transfer portal is outside hitter Melanie Parra.

"Bronze medalist at the 2016 U18 NORCECA Volleyball Championship in Puerto Rico…led the Mexican National Team to a first-place finish in its pool at the 2017 NORCECA Volleyball Championship…member of the senior Mexican National Team that competed at the 2018 FIVB World Championship…helped the Mexican National Team to a fourth-place finish at the 2018 Central American and Caribbean Games."

I am no talent evaluator. Just saying the portal moves both ways.

Tis the season....

Last edited:

With Jenna Wenaas, she's from Texas. It's the hometown team. Texas is favored to win the championship. Texas is not in the Big Ten. Nothing wrong there.

The portal moves both ways.

Leaving Texas for the transfer portal is outside hitter Melanie Parra.

"Bronze medalist at the 2016 U18 NORCECA Volleyball Championship in Puerto Rico…led the Mexican National Team to a first-place finish in its pool at the 2017 NORCECA Volleyball Championship…member of the senior Mexican National Team that competed at the 2018 FIVB World Championship…helped the Mexican National Team to a fourth-place finish at the 2018 Central American and Caribbean Games."

I am no talent evaluator. Just saying the portal moves both ways.

Tis the season....

I don't think you were advocating this with your post, but I can't see any possible way that Parra would come here. Nor any major OH transfer, just to be stuck behind two #1 recruits and entrenched starters.

We need defense. And maybe another middle.

I don't think you were advocating this with your post, but I can't see any possible way that Parra would come here. Nor any major OH transfer, just to be stuck behind two #1 recruits and entrenched starters.

We need defense. And maybe another middle.

OK, thanks. Good points.

I was "mindlessly" picking middle blockers since that is Carter Booth's position -- showing that the portal does work both ways.

And other teams are losing top talent too.

No offense meant to the top talent on the team.

Kara McGhee: Middle Blocker

VT rumor that she's going to Oregon, I assume to replace their middle who is on the way out.

Would be hilarious -- and quite silly, borderline absurd -- if Hope came here, McGhee went to Oregon, and Booth went to Baylor in a musical chair rotation.

Would call that a full step down for Booth, but would signal that the move is highly about religion/culture and perhaps somewhat about weather.

It's possible Booth(s) is shrewdly leveraging the situation to create better market value. There's nothing official that Booth has left to Wisconsin.

1671897126450.png
1671897148224.png

A large number of transfers are in the portal.

Like middle blocker Reagan Hope, She was injured so hard to know what she can do. Oregon beat Nebraska in the NCAA Tournament:

"Member of Team USA that competed at the 2021 FIVB U20 World Championship … highest-placing non-European team (fifth) in the competition … had 12 points—five kills, six blocks, one ace—in opener vs Russia … scored nine points—five kills, three blocks, one ace—in 3-0 win over the Dominican Republic … tallied five points—three kills, one block, one ace—in 3-2 win over Poland in fifth-place match. Ranked the No. 21 national recruit in the PrepVolleyball Top 150 … fourth among middle blockers in the country and second overall in the state of Arizona by PrepVolleyball … named the 2020-21 USA Today HS Awards Arizona state Female Athlete of the Year …"

Reagan Hope to UCLA. Since she plays beach that makes sense.

It's possible Booth(s) is shrewdly leveraging the situation to create better market value. There's nothing official that Booth has left to Wisconsin.

View attachment 22679
View attachment 22681
Someone was saying she follow Wisconsin on Insta or something. I think that was the only rumor inkling.

Would not be surprised if she does not end up there. Hopeful, at least, that she has that much decency/integrity/loyalty within her character.

Their VT fanboys were already coming up with graphics for landing both Beason and Booth. One down, one to go.

Top Bottom