Gopher Volleyball 2021 - Spring Season

Bummer. Figured the ladies would be raring to go after how the Nebraska weekend ended up. Will be interesting to see if/when Michigan and Ohio State can be made up.

Are people surprised at Penn State's 5-5 conference record so far, with none of the losses coming at the hands of Nebraska or Wisconsin? Is the Big Ten that deep, is this an off year for Penn State, or is this maybe related to COVID-year issues? Any thoughts?

Are people surprised at Penn State's 5-5 conference record so far, with none of the losses coming at the hands of Nebraska or Wisconsin? Is the Big Ten that deep, is this an off year for Penn State, or is this maybe related to COVID-year issues? Any thoughts?
Though no VB expert, I think PSU has been very good the past few years, but not quite as dominant as in the past.

Though no VB expert, I think PSU has been very good the past few years, but not quite as dominant as in the past.
PSU made to the final 8 just last year. As to the prior question, yes, a 5-5 PSU record is surprising, but maybe they are just struggling a bit at the moment. They did take the Gophers to 5 sets at MN...

At 67 years old, is Russ Rose ready to ride off in to the sunset. God knows, he's earned it.

PSU made to the final 8 just last year. As to the prior question, yes, a 5-5 PSU record is surprising, but maybe they are just struggling a bit at the moment. They did take the Gophers to 5 sets at MN...
What you describe is dominant, but not quite as dominant as in the past.

Anyone watching the BTN plus broadcast?...The lady doing analysis sounds like she is doing it from an aquarium tank.

Okay, apparently the trends for Gopher volleyball are as follows:

When playing well, fire away from the outsides and lock in on serve receive with adequate passing to give Shaffmaster the opportunity to use Samedy, Landfair, etc.. When playing poorly, fall in love with tipping the ball over the net instead of firing away and stop locking in on both serve receive and defense. Both have happened in this match.

They're still playing better than they did in the last match against Nebraska, but good lord were they awful in sets two and three tonight.

Some very questionable decisions first 5 pts of fifth

Okay, apparently the trends for Gopher volleyball are as follows:

When playing well, fire away from the outsides and lock in on serve receive with adequate passing to give Shaffmaster the opportunity to use Samedy, Landfair, etc.. When playing poorly, fall in love with tipping the ball over the net instead of firing away and stop locking in on both serve receive and defense. Both have happened in this match.

They're still playing better than they did in the last match against Nebraska, but good lord were they awful in sets two and three tonight.
i don’t think any of our hitters fall in love with tipping the ball over the net. bad passing and/or bad setting = no choice. the passers are leaving shaffmaster out to dry a lot tonight. and her timing is also bad a lot tonight.

i don’t think any of our hitters fall in love with tipping the ball over the net. bad passing and/or bad setting = no choice. the passers are leaving shaffmaster out to dry a lot tonight. and her timing is also bad a lot tonight.
I think you might be right as it pertains to Samedy, but Landfair at times really overthinks her swing, which often leads to some really questionable attempts to tip. Serve receive was pretty bad tonight, as was defense at times. Some of that was likely due to having one true middle in Pittman and not having played in a few weeks. Suffice to say the ladies weren't really very good tonight in any particular area. Found a way to win, but having to go five wit 2-9 Illinois isn't where it needs to be.

Thankfully, they have a chance to snap out of it tomorrow (hopefully).

There were few memorable moments in tonight's five set win. In addition to Shaffmaster's late ace, these were two in the fifth.

Can anybody tell me how I can find FOX9+? Is that better quality than BTN+?

Fox 9+ (former My29) is simply putting out the BTN+ feed, for some home games, to the local market.

Wish they would do it for every game not on regular BTN.

Stupid and silly that BTN thinks it can charge extra to people who already subscribe to BTN!

I won't pay it. I already get BTN. Refuse to double-pay. Same for ESPN+.

did anyone see what happened to cc?
I looked back at the replay and between the 2nd and 3rd set they showed a highlight where CC went down without contact when she was close to the net. It looked like her knee sort of gave out.

Much better performance (obviously). That was much closer to how I was expecting both matches to go, against ILL.

Let us hope that CC and some additional middle blockers are ready to go against Bucky on Wednesday - otherwise could be a quick match

Someone brought up the female announcer earlier. I heard it was Meredith Nelson a former Gopher player from Wisconsin.

I hate to admit it but it became annoying for me too. I think it was her continous talking and so so fast. I had to mute it.

So, in the future, please slow down Meredith.....you know and understand the sport.

Top Bottom