Gopher Volleyball 2021 - Spring Season

jham13

Reaction score
No Gopher VB this weekend - games against Ohio State are postponed. Thank God the Athletes Unlimited league is playing so can at least watch some former Gophers playing!

Hrothgar

Reaction score
Games postponed? In reality will any of those postponed games ever be played?

MRJ

Reaction score
Bummer. Figured the ladies would be raring to go after how the Nebraska weekend ended up. Will be interesting to see if/when Michigan and Ohio State can be made up.

let'sbeclear

Reaction score
Are people surprised at Penn State's 5-5 conference record so far, with none of the losses coming at the hands of Nebraska or Wisconsin? Is the Big Ten that deep, is this an off year for Penn State, or is this maybe related to COVID-year issues? Any thoughts?

Hrothgar

Reaction score
Are people surprised at Penn State's 5-5 conference record so far, with none of the losses coming at the hands of Nebraska or Wisconsin? Is the Big Ten that deep, is this an off year for Penn State, or is this maybe related to COVID-year issues? Any thoughts?
Though no VB expert, I think PSU has been very good the past few years, but not quite as dominant as in the past.

cncmin

Reaction score
Though no VB expert, I think PSU has been very good the past few years, but not quite as dominant as in the past.
PSU made to the final 8 just last year. As to the prior question, yes, a 5-5 PSU record is surprising, but maybe they are just struggling a bit at the moment. They did take the Gophers to 5 sets at MN...

GopherJack

Reaction score
At 67 years old, is Russ Rose ready to ride off in to the sunset. God knows, he's earned it.

Hrothgar

Reaction score
PSU made to the final 8 just last year. As to the prior question, yes, a 5-5 PSU record is surprising, but maybe they are just struggling a bit at the moment. They did take the Gophers to 5 sets at MN...
What you describe is dominant, but not quite as dominant as in the past.

GopherGangsta

Reaction score
Anyone watching the BTN plus broadcast?...The lady doing analysis sounds like she is doing it from an aquarium tank.

MRJ

Reaction score
Okay, apparently the trends for Gopher volleyball are as follows:

When playing well, fire away from the outsides and lock in on serve receive with adequate passing to give Shaffmaster the opportunity to use Samedy, Landfair, etc.. When playing poorly, fall in love with tipping the ball over the net instead of firing away and stop locking in on both serve receive and defense. Both have happened in this match.

They're still playing better than they did in the last match against Nebraska, but good lord were they awful in sets two and three tonight.

junc1929

Reaction score
Okay, apparently the trends for Gopher volleyball are as follows:

When playing well, fire away from the outsides and lock in on serve receive with adequate passing to give Shaffmaster the opportunity to use Samedy, Landfair, etc.. When playing poorly, fall in love with tipping the ball over the net instead of firing away and stop locking in on both serve receive and defense. Both have happened in this match.

They're still playing better than they did in the last match against Nebraska, but good lord were they awful in sets two and three tonight.
i don’t think any of our hitters fall in love with tipping the ball over the net. bad passing and/or bad setting = no choice. the passers are leaving shaffmaster out to dry a lot tonight. and her timing is also bad a lot tonight.

MRJ

Reaction score
i don’t think any of our hitters fall in love with tipping the ball over the net. bad passing and/or bad setting = no choice. the passers are leaving shaffmaster out to dry a lot tonight. and her timing is also bad a lot tonight.
I think you might be right as it pertains to Samedy, but Landfair at times really overthinks her swing, which often leads to some really questionable attempts to tip. Serve receive was pretty bad tonight, as was defense at times. Some of that was likely due to having one true middle in Pittman and not having played in a few weeks. Suffice to say the ladies weren't really very good tonight in any particular area. Found a way to win, but having to go five wit 2-9 Illinois isn't where it needs to be.

Thankfully, they have a chance to snap out of it tomorrow (hopefully).

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score

There were few memorable moments in tonight's five set win. In addition to Shaffmaster's late ace, these were two in the fifth.

Hrothgar

Reaction score
Can anybody tell me how I can find FOX9+? Is that better quality than BTN+?

Tucker

Reaction score
Can anybody tell me how I can find FOX9+? Is that better quality than BTN+?
Fox9+ is WFTC-channel 29 on twin cities broadcast TV
It is channel 807 on my Comcast/Xfinity cable package in Minneapolis
I don't know what they are on Direct TV.

I believe they used the same feed in yesterday's game as BTN+

------please correct all of my errors everyone :) --------

MplsGopher

Reaction score
Fox 9+ (former My29) is simply putting out the BTN+ feed, for some home games, to the local market.

Wish they would do it for every game not on regular BTN.

Stupid and silly that BTN thinks it can charge extra to people who already subscribe to BTN!

I won't pay it. I already get BTN. Refuse to double-pay. Same for ESPN+.

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
did anyone see what happened to cc?
I looked back at the replay and between the 2nd and 3rd set they showed a highlight where CC went down without contact when she was close to the net. It looked like her knee sort of gave out.

Top Bottom