Gopher Volleyball 2021 - Spring Season

In a VB box score, what does TA stand for? How is hitting pct calculated, for teams and individuals?

TA - Total Attempts. Individual and Team Hitting percentages are both Kills - Errors / Total Attempts.

TA - Total Attempts. Individual and Team Hitting percentages are both Kills - Errors / Total Attempts.
Thanks. That helps. Does TA include when a player pushes the ball over the net only to keep the point in play, not to force an error or make a kill?

Yikes. That's the only word to describe the ladies' "performance" so far today.

Hope Hugh brings Bayley out to set S3. Shaff seems way off today.
I liked that they were trying middles more, but results haven't been positive so far. Is Rubright really better than Myers?

Looking slow and uninspired. Seems to make the TV announcers overjoyed.
Couldn't care less about what Byington and Salima have to say.

The bigger problem is that the ladies haven't competed in the slightest. Just going through the motions like they want to get the match over and go home. Unacceptable.

Admittedly, they've had an extremely tough schedule to start out and have gotten some very good wins. But to play this way is extremely disappointing. At least make it appear you're there to compete.

Couldn't care less about what Byington and Salima have to say.

The bigger problem is that the ladies haven't competed in the slightest. Just going through the motions like they want to get the match over and go home. Unacceptable.

Admittedly, they've had an extremely tough schedule to start out and have gotten some very good wins. But to play this way is extremely disappointing. At least make it appear you're there to compete.

The Gophs have not looked good today. That is clear. And I see room for some criticism. But let’s be real, Nebraska is really, really good. Stivrins and Sun are clearly awesome. The Nebraska women’s volleyball program has won two national championships in the last 5 years (including one during the incredibly good Kathryn Plummer-era).

I just think we have to remember that Nebraska may be playing a role in why we are looking bad. Honestly, not a lot of people would have thought we would sweep Nebraska IN Nebraska.

The Gophs have not looked good today. That is clear. And I see room for some criticism. But let’s be real, Nebraska is really, really good. Stivrins and Sun are clearly awesome. The Nebraska women’s volleyball program has won two national championships in the last 5 years (including one during the incredibly good Kathryn Plummer-era).

I just think we have to remember that Nebraska may be playing a role in why we are looking bad. Honestly, not a lot of people would have thought we would sweep Nebraska IN Nebraska.
This has nothing to do with them losing the match overall. Of course Nebraska is really good. They always are.

But the ladies' didn't compete at all in the first two sets.

It wasn't until the thrd they even began to show some level of focus or energy and by then, it was too late. Trust me, Nebraska is not so much better than the Gophers that they should mop the floor with them like they did in those first two sets.

The ladies were flat terrible to the point of not being ready to play at the start of the match and played even worse in the second set. They finally competed in the third, but for the balance of the match, the ladies went though the motions both physically and mentally.

It'll be a long bus ride home after that showing.

This has nothing to do with them losing the match overall. Of course Nebraska is really good. They always are.

But the ladies' didn't compete at all in the first two sets.

It wasn't until the thrd they even began to show some level of focus or energy and by then, it was too late. Trust me, Nebraska is not so much better than the Gophers that they should mop the floor with them like they did in those first two sets.

The ladies were flat terrible to the point of not being ready to play at the start of the match and played even worse in the second set. They finally competed in the third, but for the balance of the match, the ladies went though the motions both physically and mentally.

It'll be a long bus ride home after that showing.

I think it is fair to say that we missed Rollins as another attacking weapon.

In addition, there could have been a coaching assessment that the Gophers intended to continue the gameplan that worked so well on Friday whereas Coach Cook did his homework and made adjustments to confront that style of play. In hindsight, maybe we should have displayed a different gameplan than what worked on Friday so as to keep them more off-balance.

In addition, there could have been a coaching assessment that the Gophers intended to continue the gameplan that worked so well on Friday whereas Coach Cook did his homework and made adjustments to confront that style of play. In hindsight, maybe we should have displayed a different gameplan than what worked on Friday so as to keep them more off-balance.
Not having Rollins certainly didn't help. But with how they played, I'm honestly not sure how much of a difference it would have made.

I would agree. We need that additional spark and against a real good team we where exposed

They where sure annoying today
Didn’t watch today, but they were pretty annoying on Friday night as well. It seemed like everything Neb did was great and anything MN did wasn’t as good.
maybe today Hugh wanted to keep the game plan similar to not give Neb any more looks than needed since we could play them in the tourney.

Too much laying around all day down there? I would think it would take a toll being in an unfamiliar place and now where to go.

Thanks. That helps. Does TA include when a player pushes the ball over the net only to keep the point in play, not to force an error or make a kill?
Good question. A fair amount of stat keeping in volleyball comes down to subjective judgements. I'm sure there is a guideline for what counts as an attempted attack.

Samady was human, Lexi Sun had a really nice match, and we were just uninspired until third set.

Also, they are the #4 team in the country, and nationally one of the best programs there is.

Looking slow and uninspired. Seems to make the TV announcers overjoyed.
I didn't mute them, but, I did turn the volume down! I thought they were like that for both matches. I know one of them played for Nebraska and the other sounds like she played for them too,Ha!

Depends on the scorekeeper's judgement. If its a tip in reaction to a poorly placed set, yes, it still counts as an attack attempt. If it's a standing downball, it does not. Every pin hitter has a few TA's that shouldn't truly count as attempts per match, but that affects every hitter's percentage. It doesn't discriminate.

You can look at hitting pct as a batting average of sorts like in baseball. As a rule of thumb

Middles: Above .350 would be considered good. .400 + is elite
Outsides: Above .260 is good .290 + would be elite
Opposite: .280 + good, .310 + elite

It all factors in to total usage and where the junk balls / out of system balls go. Most all of it goes to the outsides, but in the Gophers case, alot of it to Samedy. Hence, Samedy's hitting pct is lowered by all the crap she has to take care of on the right pin.

Not again! This has to be the third time Michigan has dealt with a COVID issue.
Someone on VT was claiming that Ann Arbor has been hit hard by a new variant. Who knows if they're telling the truth on that, just thought it was worth mentioning.

Nebraska versus Wisconsin has been postponed because the Badgers played Michigan State last week and MSU has postponed it's upcoming match because of Covid issues within its program. So, that's three matches postponed thus far.

Last edited:

At least they should schedule impromptu Sunday games for the teams that aren't at fault

No Gopher VB this weekend - games against Ohio State are postponed. Thank God the Athletes Unlimited league is playing so can at least watch some former Gophers playing!

Games postponed? In reality will any of those postponed games ever be played?

Top Bottom