Gopher softball 2023

Penn. State keeps messing up up on the basses. Top 7 , one out. Gets a triple but pops up after the slide and is tagged out.

Looks like the semis will be against a scrappy Penn State team, good or bad for us?

Looks like the semis will be against a scrappy Penn State team, good or bad for us?
I mean good from the POV that Penn State will not be able to score many runs off Pease. Not as good from the POV that Penn State has much much better pitching than Indiana, so Minnesota is unlikely to score many runs.

Error on bunt and then nobody covering first to attempt a tag and appeal that she turned

I would pitch her as much as possible. This tournament is the big one for us. Lay it all on the line.

And, as D1 Softball statistically compiled this week, Pease is one of the top 5 players in college softball his year when looking at team performance when she is in the game versus not in the game.
The D1 analysis measured Wins Over Replacement, which is which an attempt to see which players provided the most wins over an “average” replacement. The results would probably be similar to measuring team performance when the player is in the game vs not in the game, but it makes the replacement player a constant rather than a variable, which could be different for each team based on who that replacement player might be.

I wish we could have had a walk off homer so we could have recreated that buffoonish bat toss that the OSU player did on the hit by pitch. That was like watching a football player do a touchdown dance after fair catching a kickoff.

Lefty pitcher Lilli Backes of North Carolina is doing to Clemson what she did to us at the ACC-B1G challenge in Chapel Hill earlier this year. Tied 1-1 heading to extras. All-America Cagle in the circle for Clemson.

I wish we could have had a walk off homer so we could have recreated that buffoonish bat toss that the OSU player did on the hit by pitch. That was like watching a football player do a touchdown dance after fair catching a kickoff.
Can’t wait to watch the replay! I am entertained by all things buffoonish.

Lefty pitcher Lilli Backes of North Carolina is doing to Clemson what she did to us at the ACC-B1G challenge in Chapel Hill earlier this year. Tied 1-1 heading to extras. All-America Cagle in the circle for Clemson.
Former Badger Ally Miklesh doubles to lead off the 8th, advances to third on a passed ball, and scores on a wild pitch to win it for Clemson 2-1. In the top of the 8th, North Carolina had a runner on first and one out and pinch hit former Gopher Kionna Jones. I was rooting for her to hit a HR but alas she grounded into a DP.

Last edited:

Can’t wait to watch the replay! I am entertained by all things buffoonish.
You won’t be that entertained. It was a classless play but I wouldn’t call it buffoonish. Autumn wasn’t pleased but in the moment it seemed like an over reaction.

The D1 analysis measured Wins Over Replacement, which is which an attempt to see which players provided the most wins over an “average” replacement. The results would probably be similar to measuring team performance when the player is in the game vs not in the game, but it makes the replacement player a constant rather than a variable, which could be different for each team based on who that replacement player might be.
Excellent explanation.

After considering that explanation’s implications, I am now confident that if there was a measure where that replacement was instead a team-specific variable rather than a constant, Pease would be ranked even higher than #4 on that D1 impactful player performance list for 2023 (at least for the last two months of the 2023 season).

No offense intended to any players.

Who do we start today. As much as I want to win the big ten I say start Hambrick. I don’t think we should pitch Autumn all three game. Look at Fouts, you never know

Who do we start today. As much as I want to win the big ten I say start Hambrick. I don’t think we should pitch Autumn all three game. Look at Fouts, you never know
I couldn’t disagree more!

I would much rather get to tomorrow and lose than not get to tomorrow at all. Indiana has really good hitters and could seriously do a number on our non-ace pitching that we can’t keep up with with our own plated runs. Pitch Pease today and if she seems gassed for the title game tomorrow, fine… rest her some then.

There is not a highly paid MLB-type league for softball players after this. This is a last hurrah that Autumn Pease has as a 5th year senior for tv fame and stardom. Let her try and get it!

Last edited:

Who do we start today. As much as I want to win the big ten I say start Hambrick. I don’t think we should pitch Autumn all three game. Look at Fouts, you never know.

We started Hambrick in Game 2 against Indiana. She pitched two innings without giving up a run. Enter came in and between an error and her inability to find the plate, Indiana scored five runs to lead 5-1 heading to the bottom of the 4th. Schwartz relieved and pitched 2+ innings without giving up a run, and we staged a comeback against Indiana’s top two pitchers to tie the game and in the process forced them to go to their #3 option in the circle. Autumn entered for the 7th, shut them down, and we walked it off in the 7th, with a little help from Indiana’s defense.

That was the defining game of the season so far. The grit the Gophers displayed in that game to come back and beat the Hoosiers that day, when they were undefeated in the B1G and riding high on a 22-game winning streak overall, seemed to bring this team together and set us up for this late-season 16-1 run.

We started Hambrick in Game 2 against Indiana. She pitched two innings without giving up a run. Enter came in and between an error and her inability to find the plate, Indiana scored five runs to lead 5-1 heading to the bottom of the 4th. Schwartz relieved and pitched 2+ innings without giving up a run, and we staged a comeback against Indiana’s top two pitchers to tie the game and in the process forced them to go to their #3 option in the circle. Autumn entered for the 7th, shut them down, and we walked it off in the 7th, with a little help from Indiana’s defense.

That was the defining game of the season so far. The grit the Gophers displayed in that game to come back and beat the Hoosiers that day, when they were undefeated in the B1G and riding high on a 22-game winning streak overall, seemed to bring this team together and set us up for this late-season 16-1 run.
This recounting didn’t change my mind. We need to start Pease tonight.

This recounting didn’t change my mind. We need to start Pease tonight.
I wasn’t trying to change anyone’s mind. Post-season is different than regular season. I think we should start Pease as well, and I’ll be surprised if she isn’t the starter.

Indiana is on a 10-game win streak. We are on a 12-game win streak.

This morning we moved into the 25th spot in the RPI, which gives Indiana and Penn State their only Top 25 RPI wins, and takes Northwestern’s record against the Top 25 RPI from 5-8 to 8-8.

Indiana beating us may remove those Top 25 wins from those teams’ resumes, depending upon what happens in other conference tournaments.

While I don’t really give a damn about this game’s impact on anything except our quest for the B1G title, it has huge implications for Northwestern and Penn State as well.

Last edited:

I wasn’t trying to change anyone’s mind. Post-season is different than regular season. I think we should start Pease as well, and I’ll be surprised if she isn’t the starter.

Indiana is on a 10-game win streak. We are on a 12-game win streak.

This morning we moved into the 25th spot in the RPI, which gives Indiana and Penn State their only Top 25 RPI wins, and takes Northwestern’s record against the Top 25 RPI from 5-8 to 8-8.

Indiana beating us may remove those Top 25 wins from those teams’ resumes, depending upon what happens in other conference tournaments.

While I don’t really give a damn about this game’s impact on anything except our quest for the B1G title, it has huge implications for Northwestern and Penn State as well.
Does this mean the conference office has a conversation with the umps before the game because a Gopher win helps the conference post season status?;)
;)

Gotta convert that throw for out at home on anything hit that hard to left

All the swinging strikeouts are either up or down, if they can't figure that out then this game is a lost cause.

Top Bottom