Gopher softball 2023

True. My point is that it seems strange the Gophers would be ranked in one poll but apparently (my key word) not even RV in the other. I wonder: Did I read the Coaches poll wrong?
I trust your eyesight ad reading comprehension. I agree that it is rare that a team ranked in one poll doesn't receive votes in the other poll. I have now seen multiple polls. The Softball America poll is the only one that ranks the Gophers.

Last edited:

Rain in the forecast here this wknd. We'll see how many games they get in.

I trust your eyesight ad reading comprehension. I agree that it is rare that a team ranked in one poll doesn't receive votes in the other poll. I have now seen multiple polls. The Softball America poll is the only one that ranks the Gophers.
Gophers ranked at #33 in the ncaa RPI.

Big miss by 1st base. Glove didn't even touch the ground….at this level you need to get your glove down.

There it is.….Pease has gotten every single out for the Gophers. Well if they can't play defense then let continue to hit the ball!

announcer said something about Pease his arm. We may be without our Ace for the season. With a team tat can’t play defense worth a pile of dung this may be a very long season.

bullshit to pull JC because the defense can’t produce an out to save their own life.

You can't get a hit if you don't swing your bat. So f-ing frustrating.

Gophers lost that due to very bad coaching decisions. You pull your highest batting average hitter coming into the game for an unproven freshmen. Yet you don’t make any changes to an unproductive hitter for the whole season. Bad Bad Bad decisions by who ever is making the decisions on hitting. Also pulling your best pitcher then returning her for that many innings really speaks volumes of your trust and understanding of your staff. Out coached, out coached,out coached!

The messages that were sent to the players in that game are clear. We reward you for bad playing and punish you for great playing. That’s the way I see it folks so come at with the best defense of the logic that coaching staff showed in this game!

A befuddling mishmash of errors mental and physical/offense and defense/coaches and players that make it feel almost impossible to deconstruct and reconstruct what happened. All done against a pretty ordinary NW team that was asking to lose. Depressing.

The batters looked like they had no idea what Williams was going to throw…5 seasons to scout her and so still makes you look like a rec ball hitter. 8 strike outs for her and throw in another 4 for Boyd. If you ask me, stop reviewing film since it is not working in any way. Take the time instead and learn how to bunt a slow pitcher. Also is now very apparent to anybody that the Gophers will not steal a base. The Outfield looked absolutely flat footed on almost every hit. Nat had one great catch but she seem to struggle some. Over all a very poor outing.

Did we watch the same game? That was a wildly entertaining game! It's hugely impressive that Minnesota put up 7 runs against Williams. Were there errors? Yes. But there are going to be little errors in almost every game. Pease got hit hard. It turned into a very offensive game. Northwestern and Minnesota are set up very differently from an offensive perspective. Northwestern strings hits together, whereas Minnesota relies on the longball. HRs are unpredictable by nature. Northwestern played the better overall game and came up with the clutch hit when Minnesota couldn't. Doesn't mean that it wasn't a good game. Tbh I have a higher respect for this Minnesota team after tonight than I did before tonight.

Also, for those who are calling Northwestern "ordinary". Wtf. They have wins over Kentucky, Texas, Auburn twice, Notre Dame twice, Louisville twice, played Oklahoma to a 1-run game, and have a top 15 RPI. Get some perspective. There are 306 D1 teams. "Ordinary" encompasses teams like MSU and Purdue, not a legit top 25 team like Northwestern. This is not a loss Minnesota should be kicking themselves over. Regroup and come out swinging tomorrow.

About as entertaining as watching a train wreck. Last year we owned Williams in the first 2 game in which we run ruled them in both, now that is entertainment! Since you appear to enjoy watching the Gophers play like they are a circus act I guess I could understand how much you were entertained. All can say is that they better feed the animals better tonight because Im not sure this team, with this cast of characters, will be able to pull out a win on this road trip.

About as entertaining as watching a train wreck. Last year we owned Williams in the first 2 game in which we run ruled them in both, now that is entertainment! Since you appear to enjoy watching the Gophers play like they are a circus act I guess I could understand how much you were entertained. All can say is that they better feed the animals better tonight because Im not sure this team, with this cast of characters, will be able to pull out a win on this road trip.
We scored 7 runs… against Danielle Williams (the concensus, pre-season, top pitcher in the Big Ten) … at Northwestern’s home field… resulting in a one-run loss.

It’s really not THAT bad.

Did we watch the same game? That was a wildly entertaining game! It's hugely impressive that Minnesota put up 7 runs against Williams. Were there errors? Yes. But there are going to be little errors in almost every game. Pease got hit hard. It turned into a very offensive game. Northwestern and Minnesota are set up very differently from an offensive perspective. Northwestern strings hits together, whereas Minnesota relies on the longball. HRs are unpredictable by nature. Northwestern played the better overall game and came up with the clutch hit when Minnesota couldn't. Doesn't mean that it wasn't a good game. Tbh I have a higher respect for this Minnesota team after tonight than I did before tonight.

Also, for those who are calling Northwestern "ordinary". Wtf. They have wins over Kentucky, Texas, Auburn twice, Notre Dame twice, Louisville twice, played Oklahoma to a 1-run game, and have a top 15 RPI. Get some perspective. There are 306 D1 teams. "Ordinary" encompasses teams like MSU and Purdue, not a legit top 25 team like Northwestern. This is not a loss Minnesota should be kicking themselves over. Regroup and come out swinging tomorrow.
It's not just that we made some errors, it's the timing of those errors. I could live with 2-3 errors if the pitching overcame them and cleared the inning unscathed, but an error from the catcher allowing a NW player to get to third on what was supposed to be an easy throw to first. Let's see what we can do against their #2 pitcher tomorrow as Williams will probably start game 3 on Sunday.

By 'ordinary' I was referring to today's NW performance only. They gave up 7 runs and allowed the Gophers numerous other scoring chances they repeatedly failed to take advantage of, often by failing even to put the ball in play.

Wow? Mr or Mrs twinsbballfan either you were having a bad day or your just a curmudgeon looking for company. Northwestern is a very good team and Minnesota showed that they are just as good. It was a great game that could have went either way. That's usually what happens when two good teams meet. Please don't refer to the team as animals and maybe go have some ice cream and enjoy the competition.

Wow? Mr or Mrs twinsbballfan either you were having a bad day or your just a curmudgeon looking for company. Northwestern is a very good team and Minnesota showed that they are just as good. It was a great game that could have went either way. That's usually what happens when two good teams meet. Please don't refer to the team as animals and maybe go have some ice cream and enjoy the competition.
Of course, making circus and animal references runs the danger of lowering our postings to the level of a lot of distasteful current political discourse in D. C. & FLA. However, I'm not in total disagreement with the train wreck metaphor. Teams that win championships tend to find a way to win games like yesterday's. NW showed better discipline, focus, and in-game coaching decisions. Not to mention they batted last.

Also, for those who are calling Northwestern "ordinary". Wtf. They have wins over Kentucky, Texas, Auburn twice, Notre Dame twice, Louisville twice, played Oklahoma to a 1-run game, and have a top 15 RPI. Get some perspective. There are 306 D1 teams. "Ordinary" encompasses teams like MSU and Purdue, not a legit top 25 team like Northwestern. This is not a loss Minnesota should be kicking themselves over. Regroup and come out swinging tomorro
The team mascot is an animal! Maybe we should lobby the school to change the mascot since it is now a political issue to refer to sports team as animals…hahahaha. We have some very sensitive fans. Dont forget humans are in the in the circus also. It’s just a saying folks relax!

Last edited:

Base running mistake…again for Gophers. Outfielders struggle with getting under fly balls. Softball basics are killing us again. putting all the pressure on the pitcher and the batters to come thru.

Top Bottom