Gopher softball 2023

I think the ball crossed the line indicating the field of play. Once the ball was out of play she had to return the last base reached, which was second. At least that is what I thought I'd seen.

Was wondering that myself. Could only guess ball went out of play.
That was my assumption as well. It looks like they have some lines spray painted as "out of play" lines because otherwise the foul territory would be astronomically large.

I don’t know about “saved the season” (too dramatic of language?) but that home run sure didn’t hurt.
Ehh really not that dramatic. Minnesota is likely going to be a bubble team come NCAA tournament selection. Teams that have multiple bad losses do not get selected.

Take 2019 Indiana for example. They had great, season-defining wins over #6 Georgia and #10 LSU, but they also had losses against the likes of SF Austin and Furman. Their RPI was in the low 40s and did not get selected.

Minnesota already has a loss to Colgate. If they had lost to Central Michigan, giving them two losses to teams likely to finish in the high 100s/low 200s RPI (which would be worse losses than 2019 Indiana), it would be an uphill battle to make the tournament.

Good for Pease - I'm sure that felt very full-circle for her. So close to the no-hitter!

Good for Pease - I'm sure that felt very full-circle for her. So close to the no-hitter!

Good for Ceynowa. She has put in her dues.
Amen to that. She's been a real trooper. Last year I saw her warming up a pitcher by catching pitches with her glove and rolling the ball back to the pitcher with (what I assume was) an injured throwing hand.
Wow, Chavez may have just saved the season with that swing
Chavez performed the heroics for sure; Bradley was the unsung hero using her speed to beat out the swiinging bunt.

Good for Ceynowa. She has put in her dues.
Glad to see Ceynowa getting a chance to hit. Now that coach knows what she can deliver maybe we’ll get to see her more often.

Maybe Ehlke and Ceynowa are the added power catalysts this batting order needs? Along with Burnett and Bradley's foot speed?

One of their better weekends in a long time.
This was the weekend I was hoping for. First chance I got to watch the team. Was hoping to see Schwartz for a least one more inning. Only complaint is the female broadcaster. What was she talking about most of time? If you’re going have someone broadcast a sport, at least make sure they know the terminology and the fundamentals of the game. I think she just started talking to fill airspace. Broadcasters don’t need to talk nonstop. Just describe the action as it happens and fill in relevant stats and history.

I see that the Wichita State games v. Gophers will be on ESPN+. Does anyone know about any possible TV coverage of the other three games this weekend?

I'm also unclear why Leschber hasn't been getting starts? She's been one of the better hitters on the team IMO
At the very least she is getting PH opportunities for Strelow. Guessing that will continue.

This is going to be a tough weekend. Wichita State and SDSU are playing very well.

Leschber better be in the regular lineup. As she is one of our 5 or 6 strongest hitters.

This is going to be a tough weekend. Wichita State and SDSU are playing very well.

Leschber better be in the regular lineup. As she is one of our 5 or 6 strongest hitters.
Got even tougher as due to weather, they are now playing SDSU, Wichita, Arizona State, and Oklahoma State this weekend. That's a very very tough slate of games.

Lol John you literally posted the schedule change as I was writing the very same thing. Gophers will only play the two games in Wichita against South Dakota St. and Wichita St. on Friday before heading south to Stillwater OK for Saturday games against ASU and Oklahoma State.

These are all extremely tough games. I like this though because under the prior schedule we were pretty much forced into starting Pease once and Hambrick once against both Wichita and SDSU. Now playing four different teams Piper can decide how she wants to set her rotation based on factors other than familiarity with the previous game’s starter.

As an aside, Wichita is playing like a Top 10 team right now. They’re just crushing everybody. Can’t wait to see how we fare this weekend. Now is the time to start our push if we want to be relevant nationally this year.

Top Bottom