Gopher softball 2023

And Piper refuses to change pitchers when obvious. Stupid

What a demoralizing performance so far. Probably gonna get run-ruled.

Should make some major changes in outfield also. At this point the game is most likely out hand for a poor hitting Gophers team. Time for a shake up and replace the center and left and 1st base. At least then you could see new batter in the game.

shouldn’t the coaching strategy have been to start Pease in this game? That way you had the chance to at least take one game. Now you are set up to lose the 3rd game also since they will pitch Williams. Seems like no strategy is in place.

Wow can’t make a simple throw to get a double play from 1st….simple basic softball.

I personally would have let Bradley hit — she had done well against Boyd so far — and pinch-hit Leschber for Strelow there, but for some reason Piper would rather roll with Strelow when we need a big hit to stay in the game.

On another note, I had to laugh when the announcers said that Drohan was out of challenges. The way she constantly whines about every call, she will use all her challenges in the first two innings more than just this game!

Easy DP there if Cox makes a great play like Chavez did a few innings earlier. Leschber and Ehlke, who were both billed as potential 1B coming into the program, must not impress over there in practice. If Cox is doing it in practice, it just isn’t translating to game conditions.

I do want to acknowledge that not having access to your outdoor facility for half the season doesn’t help but fundamentals are fundamentals.

I personally would have let Bradley hit — she had done well against Boyd so far — and pinch-hit Leschber for Strelow there, but for some reason Piper would rather roll with Strelow when we need a big hit to stay in the game.

On another note, I had to laugh when the announcers said that Drohan was out of challenges. The way she constantly whines about every call, she will use all her challenges in the first two innings more than just this game!
Putting Leschber in only in tough situations is really unfair to her. Seems like if you have faith that a player can make a difference then you should give a chance to play under regular situations. Leschber she fully capable of playing in the outfield.

shouldn’t the coaching strategy have been to start Pease in this game? That way you had the chance to at least take one game. Now you are set up to lose the 3rd game also since they will pitch Williams. Seems like no strategy is in place.
For what is worth… which isn’t much… I strongly disagree with these critiques on coaching decisions on our pitchers. These posts seem like sorta petty complaints made out of frustration.

Pease will give us a fair chance to win game 3.

For what is worth… which isn’t much… I strongly disagree with these critiques on coaching decisions on our pitchers. These posts seem like sorta petty complaints made out of frustration.

Pease will give us a fair chance to win game 3.
I don't care if Pease pitches 2nd game, but why keep Hambrick in so long ? Gave up on game leaving her in so long.

Seems like the Gophers are lacking motivation. To play . not sure the coaching staff has a method to really hype this team. Can you say time for this coaching staff and the team to have a motivational hero appear before next week!

Last edited:

I like this Gopher team overall talent pitching and hitting but they really need to tighten up the little things — advancing runners by making productive outs and getting bunts down, making the proper throw from the outfield to hold a runner at first, getting down to block balls in the dirt with runners on, expecting a hard hit ball to be hit to you at all times, being alert and ready to take the extra base when the defense gives it to you, fouling off tough pitches, etc. I think the Gophers have failed to execute in every one of these areas in this series.

To win close games consistently, you must score above average in these areas. Note that this Gopher team has not been strong in one-run games so far this season. So I hope they really start to focus on this stuff. A little effort here can make a huge difference the rest of the way.

Seems like the Gophers are lacking motivation. To play . not sure the coaching staff has a method to really hype this team.
This weekend has been the most poorly played and motivated I've ever seen from a Gopher softball team. The announcers are right; MN is beating themselves. Embarrassing, at so many levels.

MN's pitching is abominable. The team is way too talented to perform this poorly.

MN's pitching is abominable. The team is way too talented to perform this poorly.
I think we are talented for a Big Ten team. Talented enough in my mind to get into the top 3 of the conference. But really… are we THAT talented?

yeah pitching is the problem…not that we have only scored 1 run. 9 strike outs and you pull the pitcher. Maybe some bad coaching decision to pull a the only pitcher that you have to win this seems strange, but the coach has developed a whole bunch of top level pitchers. Not a single one of those pitcher came with any true talent, it was all developed under the coach.

T

Talk to me Sunday. We need at least 2 wins this weekend against Williams and NW to stay in the top 25. Get it done ladies
Disappointing performance this weekend at NW. letting game 1 slip away and then no offense and poor defense on Sunday. Hope they can regroup for needed sweep next week against Penn State.

yeah pitching is the problem…not that we have only scored 1 run. 9 strike outs and you pull the pitcher. Maybe some bad coaching decision to pull a the only pitcher that you have to win this seems strange, but the coach has developed a whole bunch of top level pitchers. Not a single one of those pitcher came with any true talent, it was all developed under the coach.
None of them came with any talent? Clearly you don’t know what you’re talking about. Or maybe you need to clarify that for me.

Your saying Sara Moulton, Sara G. And Amber Fiser had no talent before they came to the U? I think you need to reconsider your statement.

A dismal feeling that the Gophers embarrassed the program, the University, their fans, and wellwishers with such a dreary wknd performance on BTN. The HC's dour comments with network announcers in between-innings interviews cast an even dimmer light for me. Hopefully she showed a bit more enthusiasm with the players.

A dismal feeling that the Gophers embarrassed the program, the University, their fans, and wellwishers with such a dreary wknd performance on BTN. The HC's dour comments with network announcers in between-innings interviews cast an even dimmer light for me. Hopefully she showed a bit more enthusiasm with the players.
I taped the games but didn’t watch them as I checked periodically on the score and I didn’t see much hope after watching for a few minutes. I missed the interviews. What did Ritter say that was dour?

I’m sure the coaches talk about these with BTN or ESPN before the games where they do the interviews. And I’m sure they talk about making the answers pithy, if you will.

Some coaches, like Yvette Healy or Drohan, may need this reminder. Others, like Piper or Tyra Perry, really don’t.

She did sound dour. But we were getting our butts kicked. Her answers were delivered curtly and were also canned to an extent, as I’ve heard essentially the same responses from countless other coaches.

While I also didn’t like the way Piper came across yesterday, what really frustrated me was that right after she said Henry was throwing strikes so we needed to take aggressive swings at strikes early in the count, Strelow took two strikes right down the middle then swung at a high inside pitch and weakly popped out.

Last edited:

Agree 100%. My wife commented on Piper talking saying that she is not a good media representative for the Gophers. And I felt embarrassed by the program this wknd for sure.

I’m sure the coaches talk about these with BTN or ESPN before the games where they do the interviews. And I’m sure they talk about making the answers pithy, if you will.

Some coaches, like Yvette Healy or Drohan, may need this reminder. Others, like Piper or Tyra Perry, really don’t.

She did sound dour. But we were getting our butts kicked. Her answers were delivered curtly and were also canned to an extent, as I’ve heard essentially the same responses from countless other coaches.

While I also didn’t like the way Piper came across yesterday, what really frustrated me was that right after she said Henry was throwing strikes so we needed to take aggressive swings at strikes early in the count, Strelow took two strikes right down the middle then swung at a high inside pitch and weakly popped out.
For me the turning point of the weekend was in game 1 when the HC removed Enter for Hamrick. MN has retaken the lead & Enter retired 6 in a row; she had NW pounding balls on the ground to the infield. Why not leave her in to try keeping that formula? Why abandon a successful strategy unless it starts failing? Everything did fail after that.

MN's pitching is abominable. The team is way too talented to perform this
For me the turning point of the weekend was in game 1 when the HC removed Enter for Hamrick. MN has retaken the lead & Enter retired 6 in a row; she had NW pounding balls on the ground to the infield. Why not leave her in to try keeping that formula? Why abandon a successful strategy unless it starts failing? Everything did fail after that.
Your saying Sara Moulton, Sara G. And Amber Fiser had no talent before they came to the U? I think you need to reconsider your statement.
I was being sarcastic. Of course all of these pitcher come with some talent before they even arrive at the school. To constantly put the label on a coach that she develops pitchers is kind of a misnomer. I don’t think pitching is something that you can develop in that short of time frame. That is why we see pictures come into this program and have bad habits and still leave with those bad habits.

Last edited:

Top Bottom