Gopher softball 2023

IDK, can they call a game after so much time, if nobody scores?

What's really been disheartening more than anything else, is how DenHartog cannot perform at the plate either. What is going on?

The ball was mishandled by Strelow and the runner got on. When the NC runner was trying to steal second, It appeared the throw got there in time and was nice and low. Again, for whatever reason, the ball was mishandled. Think that was also on Strelow......however, no errors were called on her.

Although we have 4 new starters from last season, watching this game was just like watching some of those same type of losses from last year. Outside of some really nice pitching from Pease, it was not fun to watch.
This also includes a bloop over Oakland that could have been caught. The "double". When we can't score we have to make every play, but don't.

I feel you really need the right HC for a program to be successful. Then he/she needs to hire the correct Assistants and definitely one that can be a Top Recruiter.

I follow three Gopher programs closely. I have been let down with Wrestling and now Softball. A year or two we will know if Volleyball will be the next and last in line for me.

I don't think it's a lack of talent. The problem has to lie some place else. Scraping together a single run per game? Making routine plays in the field? We see some of the same lackluster play in other Gophers programs, too.

One of the major problems I've noticed over the past couple games is the lack of productive outs. The Gophs get a leadoff baserunner, but then she's not advanced. They're not even giving themselves a chance to score. If your bats aren't working, where are the bunts, steals, hit and runs?

One of the major problems I've noticed over the past couple games is the lack of productive outs. The Gophs get a leadoff baserunner, but then she's not advanced. They're not even giving themselves a chance to score. If your bats aren't working, where are the bunts, steals, hit and runs?
That's been the problem for the past 3 years, which we've lamented all along. Not very aggressive or creative at the plate. Especially true of the lower half of the batting order. Opponents know to pitch around DenHartog and one or two others and then go for more certain outs. The last two games have seemed full of harmless popups and grounders, rather than driving the ball to the outfield.

I don't think it's a lack of talent. The problem has to lie some place else. Scraping together a single run per game? Making routine plays in the field? We see some of the same lackluster play in other Gophers programs, too.
This will be Harsh, but one begins to wonder if these players are on their phones in the dugout while trying to play softball. There is a reason for all this lackluster, disengaged play in ALL SPORTS TODAY. They live for Social Media, which I will repeat is destroying them.

This will be Harsh, but one begins to wonder if these players are on their phones in the dugout while trying to play softball. There is a reason for all this lackluster, disengaged play in ALL SPORTS TODAY. They live for Social Media, which I will repeat is destroying them.
This is a remarkably bad take.

Things will rebalance and we will win again when the social media phenomenon ripples out of Minnesota and begins to effect other teams’ players around the nation.

Things will rebalance and we will win again when the social media phenomenon ripples out of Minnesota and begins to effect other teams’ players around the nation.
There you are. Took you long enough to respond to one of my posts.

Really seems to be affecting those “other teams”

Social interactions (twitter, Facebook, and instagram) by team for 2021….B10 had one team, Michigan in the top 25.

Has nothing to do with social media. SMH.

1676753208980.png

Bases loaded no outs after 3 walks. Can the Gophs score their first run of the weekend?

You've got to be kidding me, bases loaded and no outs and we only get one run. I'm f**king done with this program.

I'll say this about Gopher fans, sure are alot that go off the deep end easily. I'm as frustrated as any but geez. It's not just softball either.

Oh well. Watching a couple games this weekend is an extremely small sample size, but this team looks like it lacks any star players except for one that isn't playing well. Maybe they can turn it around, but this program looks to have seriously degraded from a few years ago.

Oh well. Watching a couple games this weekend is an extremely small sample size, but this team looks like it lacks any star players except for one that isn't playing well. Maybe they can turn it around, but this program looks to have seriously degraded from a few years ago.
This seems factually accurate. I think the question is what does a Gopher fan do with this information?

Watch MSNBC/FoxNews/CNN instead? Or rom-coms?

Last edited:

This seems factually accurate. I think the question is what does a Gopher fan do with this information?

No idea. I gave a percentage of some NIL money to the softball program along with football (mostly). I watch programming and have bought season tickets in the past. That's about as much a fan can do. Part of the issue is just about everyone on this site probably saw personally what Allister did with recruiting and development so we know what can be done and, thus, miss that excitement. On the bright side, expectations for the year are now seriously tempered.

On a side note, watching hitters take slow meatballs thrown down the middle of the plate on the first or second pitch with runners on base makes we want to puke. It's tough to watch.

No idea. I gave a percentage of some NIL money to the softball program along with football (mostly). I watch programming and have bought season tickets in the past. That's about as much a fan can do. Part of the issue is just about everyone on this site probably saw personally what Allister did with recruiting and development so we know what can be done and, thus, miss that excitement. On the bright side, expectations for the year are now seriously tempered.
[Channeling Rick Pitino of 1997]

Jess Allister is not walking through that door!

[Channeling Rick Pitino of 1997]

Jess Allister is not walking through that door!

That analogy could mean a couple things depending on what you're point of view is (I'm not sure). The Celtics went on to win an NBA title and a couple conference titles a few years later; with a different coach and different players, of course.

That analogy could mean a couple things depending on what you're point of view is (I'm not sure). The Celtics went on to win an NBA title and a couple conference titles a few years later; with a different coach and different players, of course.

I meant it straightforwardly. Just like Bird/McHale/Parrish, Allister is not coming back. So what’s the point of clinging to that old memory? Masochism?

Uh, what the heck just happened?

I know it is a bat and ball sport, so any team can lose to any team once, but… I sure didn’t expect this.
Tough weekend in NC so far. Hopefully they can end the challenge with a win against Virginia tomorrow. Can someone explain to me why Hambick got the loss in game three? Schwartz gave up the go ahead runs in the 7th. Tough finish for the freshman after a solid four innings. I’m sure it will be a good learning experience for future late inning scenarios.

I meant it straightforwardly. Just like Bird/McHale/Parrish, Allister is not coming back. So what’s the point of clinging to that old memory? Masochism?
We should have thrown a few more bucks at softball to keep her and keep us successful. But yes, we didn't, she is gone, we lived through the psycho coach who had success with Allister's players, and now we have Piper. The optimist in me hopes that Piper can do it.

Top Bottom