Gopher softball 2021

Game weather not much better than here in Minnesota. Just something else us fans would love to be able to control.

Awful call at second on Kemmetmueller. Tag is around waist and right hand on bag. Ump standing right there. UNBELIEVABLE......

Making Williams pitch is helping us out. Now we need to score runs.

Well we are making contact with the ball, but still unable to get the base hits.

Fiser appears to be more on today....she has to be. She usually does not have much run support when pitching.

Put Pease in please before we lose, Fiser a lot of pitches

Put Pease in please before we lose, Fiser a lot of pitches
They probably will not even play tomorrow given the likelihood of rainout.

Pease must not be 100 percent healthy. There is no good reason to save her.

Holy christ. The umpire behind the plate must need to take a dump - trying to end the game. Pitches down the middle called balls.

Home plate ump is struggling this inning. Missed ball/strike calls and the forgot to cover the foul line on blooper to left

Just going to say, I guess Homecooking umpires are also alive and well in the BIG too. But the SEC holds the title for that. I will never forget that Groenewegen pitch across the middle of the plate waist high to walk in the winning run.

Last edited:

This umpire crew is atrocious. No consistency to the strike zone at all and seems like they weren't even sure whose call the foul/fair ball was.

Definitely some home cooking from the umps. No doubt it is worse in the SEC, especially if you a team from any other conference.

Really didn't like the call to bunt KK. You absolutely knew they were going to walk DenHartog. And Hansen didn't look good in her previous at bat. I would have pinch hit Costa after the walk to Natalie.

Don't get why it's taking five minutes to sort out a substitution mistake

Damn. I answer the phone and miss the bottom of the last inning. Must have been quick.

This umpire crew is atrocious. No consistency to the strike zone at all and seems like they weren't even sure whose call the foul/fair ball was.
I thought the home plate ump was very good the first 2 or 3 innings, but as it got tighter for the home team later, the calls were increasingly horrible for MN. Fiser did well keeping her cool on bad ball/strike calls

Nice job by pitchers and Nice job of team to keep fighting

I thought the home plate ump was very good the first 2 or 3 innings, but as it got tighter for the home team later, the calls were increasingly horrible for MN. Fiser did well keeping her cool on bad ball/strike calls
I didn't get home and get the game turned on until the bottom of the 3rd and within the first two half innings I saw there were at least 2 pitches same location with different results so it definitely could've been better early I just saw the inconsistency starting in the middle innings.

I didn't get home and get the game turned on until the bottom of the 3rd and within the first two half innings I saw there were at least 2 pitches same location with different results so it definitely could've been better early I just saw the inconsistency starting in the middle innings.
I saw the whole game, except for the last half inning. Beginning with & after Kemmetmueller's steal attempt before DenHartog's HR, the Gophers were getting ripped off over and again. But I'm only saying how I saw it.

That win was huge. We don’t even know how many more games, if any, they will get in this weekend. A loss would have been bad.

Plus it was a win, where our stars played well, as called by Beth Mowins and Michelle Smith. I think that may make their coverage of the Gophers on their podcast better... at least for a few weeks.

Halfway through the 2021 Big Ten season and one thing is now abundantly and somewhat worryingly clear: Head Coach/Pitching Coach Piper Martin only really trusts two pitchers on staff to get needed outs in competitive games.

Many teams are willing to place easily 3 or 4 pitchers on the mound in competitive games.

Halfway through the 2021 Big Ten season and one thing is now abundantly and somewhat worryingly clear: Head Coach/Pitching Coach Piper Martin only really trusts two pitchers on staff to get needed outs in competitive games.

Many teams are willing to place easily 3 or 4 pitchers on the mound in competitive games.
To add to that. I'd say that Fiser is finding her groove again, but that we have hitters that may not be B1G material.

I totally agree and believe I stated something similar to this earlier. So how far can this team go in the Post Season? At this point, the chances for winning/advancing look pretty slim. How often do Groenewegen's come along?

I totally agree and believe I stated something similar to this earlier. So how far can this team go in the Post Season? At this point, the chances for winning/advancing look pretty slim. How often do Groenewegen's come along?

Speaking of Sara G., I am now prepared, in my opinion, to rank McKenna Partain ahead of Kendall Lindaman and behind only Groenewagen, as the second best Minnesota softball player in recent Gopher history.

There are Naturals in every sport. Sara G was one of them. Agree.....I am ranking Partain second. I love watching her at the plate. She makes it look so so easy. Just dialed into the pitcher and goes with the pitch.

There are above average players and those that develop into better players. One of my favorites was Macken. Could not understand her being on the bench with one of the best batting averages on the team. Coaches, at that time, finally woke up and started her at third and us fans know how her Gopher career turned out and the difference her bat made for us in Post Season

The unfortunate thing about this season is we might have a lot of average players with 2-3 above. Let's hope Denhartog continues to light it up at the plate this season and next. Other than that, I am afraid this coaching staff has a lot of developing on their hands in the near future

Very happy for the team and Fiser's performance/win yesterday.

So far Pease has settled down and we have another fun game to watch right now.

However, I am glad that these announcers appear to really love announcing this sport. But geez, can you slow down and maybe take a breath or two or three? I am sure most of you watching the game understand what I am saying.

Top Bottom