Gopher softball 2021

sad day if that happens! I really think a good coach could get this team back to WCWS. Work...yes. But it’s there. Hope she stays at least long enough to have a convo with the new coach.

Any word on search? How long is the process etc?
It would be sad but hard to blame her if she can get a free year of school rather than paying.

It would be sad but hard to blame her if she can get a free year of school rather than paying.
Perhaps with a couple of kids entering the portal that frees up money for her? I know Coyle said they couldn’t go over the limit, but maybe still gets her somewhat close? Hopeful :)

“I really think a good coach could get this team back to WCWS.

Count me as depressed. These “blow up the program” arguments made by program fans who are never seeing potential downside to coaching changes... well the downside kicks like a mule and it hurts. Always remember in any group/team of 20 or more people, for all the malcontent complainers, there are winners who are doing well by the incumbent regime along with the complaining losers. Nothing is ever 100% to 0%. Everything involves winners and losers in any change ever undertaken.

In softball can you transfer as many times as you want, or is it a one-time deal?

Count me as depressed. These “blow up the program” arguments made by program fans who are never seeing potential downside to coaching changes... well the downside kicks like a mule and it hurts. Always remember in any group/team of 20 or more people, for all the malcontent complainers, there are winners who are doing well by the incumbent regime along with the complaining losers. Nothing is ever 100% to 0%. Everything involves winners and losers in any change ever undertaken.

There is always risk with change. We don't know how this season would have turned out with Jamie at the helm. What if this season had gone as scheduled and we had not won either the B1G or B1G tourney and been eliminated on the road in the regional? Success? Failure? The sky is not falling. You are the "just compete in the B1G" expectation guy. Fiser is IMO the most important player for next year but if she does not come back she doesn't. Players get hurt, players transfer, and they have to do what is right for them. This is Amber's last year. She can pay out of state tuition at MN or find the absolute best team that will take her and give her money.

There is always risk with change. We don't know how this season would have turned out with Jamie at the helm. What if this season had gone as scheduled and we had not won either the B1G or B1G tourney and been eliminated on the road in the regional? Success? Failure? The sky is not falling. You are the "just compete in the B1G" expectation guy. Fiser is IMO the most important player for next year but if she does not come back she doesn't. Players get hurt, players transfer, and they have to do what is right for them. This is Amber's last year. She can pay out of state tuition at MN or find the absolute best team that will take her and give her money.

All sports are entertainment. I started paying any real attention, watching games on the BTN and tracking their performance on Gophersports.com at the start of the BIG tourney in 2014. By that 2014 Minneapolis regional against Auburn, I was hooked. What fun! Having a punchers chance for the BIG TEN tourney and playing the following week is highly enjoyable entertainment; the whole season is but those two weeks are such a climax. For me that is the realistic goal.

I feel silly doing this because nobody knows how 2020 would have turned out. One thing we do have evidence for, Jamie had her Minnesota team, and Fiser in particular, peaking at the end of the season her previous seasons. I think it is reasonable to say we would have had a 33 percent to 50 percent chance to win the BIG ten tourney. Our odds probably would have been as good as Michigan’s and a little better than Northwestern’s and it is tough for me to think of an outsider to those three teams breaking through that three team gauntlet to win it.

And from there the Gophers would be hoping for a 13-16 seed in the NCAA. Maybe they get it, maybe they go on the road to face one of those teams with a punchers chance to survive. That’s fun to me. That’s entertainment, which is what sports is.

Maybe I am a bad fan, but it will be tougher for me to be as fanatical about this team if we are a middle of the pack team just hoping to be one of those 4-5 Big Ten teams hoping to be cannon fodder in the NCAA regional... at best.

If Fiser goes, she goes. Again, I viewed her 2021 season as the bridge to our pitching future not because our other pitchers on staff are bad, I don’t think they are. But what Fiser has was unusual power and stamina to maintain velocity and performance inning after inning, month after month. I just don’t know if our other 2021 pitchers can keep up good performance with that many innings. We needed to get to 2022 when more recruited pitchers were on the way to grow our staff. But my bigger worry is it has only been a week! What if more players go... especially... you know who.

There’s a lot of talk here about returning seniors not getting any scholarship money and having to pay their own way. I don’t think that’s accurate. My reading of the NCAA ruling is that schools can give those seniors no more than they received the previous year, so if they got a 1/2 scholarship in 2020 they can’t receive a full in 2021 but they can still get the 1/2. Also, schools are not allowed to expand the number of scholarships they are allotted for their team, which is 12. So the returning players can and will get money, since they are all starters, and it will come out of the same pool of money as before. 2021 freshman have already signed, so whatever money they were promised is spent. Which means that sophomores and juniors are the ones getting the shaft on this deal since they all have to split the leftovers. Also, Amber, and any other player living in MN for a year, would pay in-state tuition.
Correct me if I’m wrong, but that’s how I understand it.

There’s a lot of talk here about returning seniors not getting any scholarship money and having to pay their own way. I don’t think that’s accurate. My reading of the NCAA ruling is that schools can give those seniors no more than they received the previous year, so if they got a 1/2 scholarship in 2020 they can’t receive a full in 2021 but they can still get the 1/2. Also, schools are not allowed to expand the number of scholarships they are allotted for their team, which is 12. So the returning players can and will get money, since they are all starters, and it will come out of the same pool of money as before. 2021 freshman have already signed, so whatever money they were promised is spent. Which means that sophomores and juniors are the ones getting the shaft on this deal since they all have to split the leftovers. Also, Amber, and any other player living in MN for a year, would pay in-state tuition.
Correct me if I’m wrong, but that’s how I understand it.

Students from Other States • The nonresident classification will not change for a student who moved to Minnesota for the primary purpose of attending a post-secondary institution.

Also Coyle said he is not giving scholarships to the returning spring sport seniors who were granted an additional year of eligibility.

Students from Other States • The nonresident classification will not change for a student who moved to Minnesota for the primary purpose of attending a post-secondary institution.

Also Coyle said he is not giving scholarships to the returning spring sport seniors who were granted an additional year of eligibility.

That is really the only reason I can come up as to why Amber might go. If it's a money issue, then she needs to do what she needs to do.

Otherwise I just can't see any reason to leave.

She's already a legend in both Iowa and Minnesota, loves it here and is extremely close with the rest of her teammates. She was already all set up to return before the Trachsel news went down, so nothing really changes in terms of money except for the possibility of saving some if someone else is offering it.

On top of that, she seems pretty darn close to family and also seems to love both the campus and Minneapolis. So if it's not money, than I'm drawing a blank..

Then again, what do I know?

You may be right about residency in Fiser’s case, but I’m sure it is possible to get residency if you live in MN year round and have a job off-season. I know people who have done it.
I can’t find any confirmation that Coyle said no scholarship for returning seniors. Only that they couldn’t give more than they had in 2020 season.

This is from the StarTrib article on 3/31

It’s unclear how many of the more than 30 Gophers spring sports seniors might choose to return, since individual schools can decide to match the scholarship each athlete had in 2019-20 fully, partly or not at all. So some athletes might face an increased financial burden to play again.
Coyle, who could not be reached for comment, informed coaches they can’t exceed their scholarship limit.”

Again, it’s not that I don’t believe you. I just haven’t seen it officially in print. I would love to see it if you have a link.

You may be right about residency in Fiser’s case, but I’m sure it is possible to get residency if you live in MN year round and have a job off-season. I know people who have done it.
I can’t find any confirmation that Coyle said no scholarship for returning seniors. Only that they couldn’t give more than they had in 2020 season.

It’s unclear how many of the more than 30 Gophers spring sports seniors might choose to return, since individual schools can decide to match the scholarship each athlete had in 2019-20 fully, partly or not at all. So some athletes might face an increased financial burden to play again.
Coyle, who could not be reached for comment, informed coaches they can’t exceed their scholarship limit.”

Again, it’s not that I don’t believe you. I just haven’t seen it officially in print. I would love to see it if you have a link.
Ask MPLSgopher. Lol! I can't find it. I will have to look.

It's right there in the quote “Coyle, who could not be reached for comment, informed coaches they can’t exceed their scholarship limit.”

The NCAA said that softball teams (and all spring sports) would be allowed to give returning seniors scholarships without it counting against that sport's upper limit on scholarships.

But Coyle artificially is requiring spring coaches to maintain the limit. Meaning that if they want to give a returning senior a scholarship, they have to take it away from a freshman. What coach is going to do that? It's a silly non-choice.

It's right there in the quote “Coyle, who could not be reached for comment, informed coaches they can’t exceed their scholarship limit.”

The NCAA said that softball teams (and all spring sports) would be allowed to give returning seniors scholarships without it counting against that sport's upper limit on scholarships.

But Coyle artificially is requiring spring coaches to maintain the limit. Meaning that if they want to give a returning senior a scholarship, they have to take it away from a freshman. What coach is going to do that? It's a silly non-choice.

I guessing there's probably some scholarship room. White and Beddow are transferring out, so any scholarship funds attributed to them leave room. Plus, the team had such a small roster this spring, I'm wondering if they went into the year with some room? Hard to know.

I guessing there's probably some scholarship room. White and Beddow are transferring out, so any scholarship funds attributed to them leave room. Plus, the team had such a small roster this spring, I'm wondering if they went into the year with some room? Hard to know.
Maybe it happens to work out just fine, for softball.

My point is the principle of it. What if it screws things up for women's track? Etc.

They have a big incoming class, I believe 7 or 8 incoming Freshman (of which one was a pitcher) which were to replace the 5 graduating seniors before this CoronaVirus situation.

On pitching, in a Fiser transferring scenario, I guess I forgot Brandt was coming back and could get us some innings. That would mean regular use of the full staff would maybe get us plenty of wins:

1.Peace
2.Brandt
3.Holifield
4.Deuek
5.Jones

Maybe, with a lot of hope...

Does anyone have any insight on which coaching names are being speculated? Also, why is
everything so secretive on Hope Brandner? There is usually some indication of what medical
issue kept her out ---- if in fact, it was a medical issue.

Does anyone have any insight on which coaching names are being speculated? Also, why is
everything so secretive on Hope Brandner? There is usually some indication of what medical
issue kept her out ---- if in fact, it was a medical issue.

No idea. All I know is that she's a great player. I'll leave this here...

I'm curious how difficult the transition would be from D3/D2 to large D1? I don't know of any examples off hand, but I'm sure there are some out there. There is some very high quality coach instruction in the lower levels. Recruiting is key too, just at a more regional level. Top D2/3 teams almost always have players that could play at least small D1.

I'm wondering about things like competitor scouting though? It's my impression that successful D1 coaching staffs do an extreme level of scouting, especially for opposing hitters. D1 programs usually have pitching coaches call the pitches with a full scouting report on opposing batters. In contrast, it's still common in D3 to see the catchers/pitchers call their own game (not sure about D2). I'm wondering how differences like that would impact the transition?

I'm not sure about D3 programs having catchers call pitches. Hell, 12 and 14U club teams have coaches calling pitches, defenses, running the arm bands for positioning, etc. I honestly am of the opinion, at least in non revenue sports where the outside influence/cheating is at a minimum or not even there, that a good coach is a good coach. Who knows though...

Good point. They have 12 scholarships to work with and Fiser could essentially treated as a transfer.

Coyle would deserve a hot seat if he loses coach because he's too cheap (although it's good she's gone) and players because he's too cheap to allow scholarships per NCAA rules

Coyle would deserve a hot seat if he loses coach because he's too cheap (although it's good she's gone) and players because he's too cheap to allow scholarships per NCAA rules
Well in fairness to Coyle it has to be tough to give a big contract when the world is in the state they are in with the Covid situation, there is just so much we don’t know. With current coaches taking pay cuts. Just love softball and can’t wait to watch the 2017 B1G at 7:00 tonight SammY...Sammy Sammy Macken. ? (now get that out of your head ?)

Been a week roughly and Coyle moves fast, any word or rumors? Hoping time frame gives the coach a chance to talk to all the big players before they’d think of leaving.

Just watched the replay of the 2017 Big10 championship game. Man that team was solid. I still get pissed thinking about how we did not get a top 16 seed. There is no logic for it.

I definitely read it wrong. Looks like the new coach can use money, if available, on the seniors. That is a positive.

I definitely read it wrong. Looks like the new coach can use money, if available, on the seniors. That is a positive.
Sure. You can give a scholarship to a returning senior.

You just have to take it away from a freshman. But no big deal.

How do we know that players that are leaving the program despite having eligibility left (including those granted extra eligibility by the NCAA) aren't doing that because of scholarship issues?

How do we know that players that are leaving the program despite having eligibility left (including those granted extra eligibility by the NCAA) aren't doing that because of scholarship issues?

It is tough to say since as far as I know they don't publish a list of who gets what. Partain and Krueger did not announce they were coming back so maybe they are just done with softball.

It is tough to say since as far as I know they don't publish a list of who gets what. Partain and Krueger did not announce they were coming back so maybe they are just done with softball.
If it's impossible to know, and/or they just refuse to comment, then it is what it is.

But my natural question for those two is, would you have come back if you had been given a full ride scholarship to do so?

Top Bottom