Gopher softball 2021

From the Pioneer Press: Trachsel had a $140,000 salary while taking the Gophers to their first appearance in the Women’s College World Series last spring. With her contact expiring May 30, she was offered a multi-year contract extension after the national tournament run, followed by a second offer, which she also turned down, a source said. She was believed to have received a raise from the 2019 success and going into this year’s shortened season.

Recruiting will be tough if Sparkler/Fireworks and the other big showcases can't happen this year

Recruiting will be tough if Sparkler/Fireworks and the other big showcases can't happen this year

It will be interesting to see what happens this summer. I am guessing much of the class set to sign in the fall had already committed. Will any of them follow Jamie to Ole Miss? Will the new coach bring players?

It would be great if a good experienced D1 head coach from the Upper Midwest could be found (although not a must), but the list of quality smaller D1 programs in the north form which to pick is very thin. Some of best non-Big Ten northern programs are D2. Has there been any history of success for a coach going from D2 to major D1? Some like Greta Melsted or others?
What about South Dakota State's coach, as a "smaller" jump than going straight from the Northern Sun to Big Ten?

What about South Dakota State's coach, as a "smaller" jump than going straight from the Northern Sun to Big Ten?
Justin's World of Softball lists her as some one to consider. Also mentioned as mid-major candidates are Megan Ciolli Bartlett of Ball State and Clarisa Crowell of Miami of Ohio. Previously mentioned on this board is UCF coach Cindy Ball-Malone.

SDSU used to be in Northern Sun and wasn’t as successful as Melsted (Augustana), or Meyer (Mankato) or Jones (Winona). Summit league and top NSIC (And St Thomas really) are virtually on level playing fields. Besides NDSU which is pretty much the gold standard there.

Justin's World of Softball lists her as some one to consider. Also mentioned as mid-major candidates are Megan Ciolli Bartlett of Ball State and Clarisa Crowell of Miami of Ohio. Previously mentioned on this board is UCF coach Cindy Ball-Malone.

The Inner Circle podcast people on FastpitchNews indicated Ball-Malone turned down the Ole Miss job. She's probably holding out for something big in FL or just content at UCF.

Sometimes you gotta laugh at sports media people spinning for their team. This Inner Circle podcast is interviewing Grayson Weir, a sports media guy who's familiar with the Ole Miss softball program. At the 43 minute mark when commenting on the Trachsel/Riekovich offense, he comments Minnesota's "offense was good under the previous administration-regime-coaching staff, but it got even better" under Trachsel/Riekovich. What a flippin joke. Some of these guys don't know sh't from shinola.

https://fastpitchnews.com/podcasts/trachsel-heads-to-ole-miss/368624

On the bright side, pitching looks set for Pease/Ava/Kianna for the next three years. There's plenty of senior leadership to handle coaching change. Wouldn't be surprised if one of the returning seniors decides to go to workforce instead for whoever Jamie lied to in order to convince to come back

Sometimes you gotta laugh at sports media people spinning for their team. This Inner Circle podcast is interviewing Grayson Weir, a sports media guy who's familiar with the Ole Miss softball program. At the 43 minute mark when commenting on the Trachsel/Riekovich offense, he comments Minnesota's "offense was good under the previous administration-regime-coaching staff, but it got even better" under Trachsel/Riekovich. What a flippin joke. Some of these guys don't know sh't from shinola.

Idk what they were watching, offense was mediocre most of the 23 games

Not surprising. It's all marketing, whether its rooted in reality or not. They have to convince everybody that the hire was a fantastic, tremendous move and everything is going to be great.

All schools engage in this kind of narrative when they hire a new coach.

Having said that, the more info that comes out about this situation, the more comfortable I am with Jamie's "heart-break" about going to Ole Miss.

They can have her.

Thoughts on Jessica Merchant?
Justin’s world of softball put up his candidate list. I haven’t ready yet, but I would agree on Merchant...hard to leave Stanford and seems to enjoy that staff. Some great coaches really don’t care if they get the label “head coach.” She May be one. If so, the staff she’s on from here on out is very fortunate!

With a potential depression in college sports revenue looming, I'm wondering if that increases consideration for a top notch lower division coaching hire? A well-known D1 hire would be awesome of course, but that comes at a cost. Trachsel's $240K at a mediocre SEC school almost sets the market, but I doubt the UofM will pull the trigger on a high $$$ hire at this point.

As a side note, JWOS's list of potential hires includes the obligatory local D3 names in Tschida and Powers.

I'm wondering if that increases consideration for a top notch lower division coaching hire?
Sorry for the stupid question if the answer is well known.

Is Mueller at NDSU just a lifer there?

Sorry for the stupid question if the answer is well known.

Is Mueller at NDSU just a lifer there?

Someone else would need to answer that. I don't know, but have pondered the same question since Allister left. He's obviously a terrific coach...one that takes advantage of superior athletic administration support compared to most small D1s, albeit in a tough climate for softball.

Someone else would need to answer that. I don't know, but have pondered the same question since Allister left. He's obviously a terrific coach...one that takes advantage of superior athletic administration support compared to most small D1s, albeit in a tough climate for softball.
Right.

As to your last statement: but there is no "FCS" for softball, so then it's just the Summit League. But it looks like, at the least, some of the other programs there are competitive. SDSU, maybe Omaha as well? Don't know as much about North Dakota and South Dakota, but they like to be fairly level with their in-state rivals. Don't know about W Illinois.

What about Tschida at St. Thomas? I have heard in the past he has turned down larger jobs, but from people I talk to in the softball world, this guy is second to none as a coach and his players love him.

What about Tschida at St. Thomas? I have heard in the past he has turned down larger jobs, but from people I talk to in the softball world, this guy is second to none as a coach and his players love him.

He's awesome. Any time I've seen him work I'm always impressed how he interacts with his players. I still think your best long term pick might be somewhat local. I know JWOS mentioned him. Someone said they also mentioned Powers but is she too young too new still, perhaps. Look at the history of a few programs around the region and your top 2 programs with many championships and many intangible accolades are St. Thomas and Augustana. Both have really great head coaches and staffs. Could see either being successful if they are interested.

He's awesome. Any time I've seen him work I'm always impressed how he interacts with his players. I still think your best long term pick might be somewhat local. I know JWOS mentioned him. Someone said they also mentioned Powers but is she too young too new still, perhaps. Look at the history of a few programs around the region and your top 2 programs with many championships and many intangible accolades are St. Thomas and Augustana. Both have really great head coaches and staffs. Could see either being successful if they are interested.

I'm curious how difficult the transition would be from D3/D2 to large D1? I don't know of any examples off hand, but I'm sure there are some out there. There is some very high quality coach instruction in the lower levels. Recruiting is key too, just at a more regional level. Top D2/3 teams almost always have players that could play at least small D1.

I'm wondering about things like competitor scouting though? It's my impression that successful D1 coaching staffs do an extreme level of scouting, especially for opposing hitters. D1 programs usually have pitching coaches call the pitches with a full scouting report on opposing batters. In contrast, it's still common in D3 to see the catchers/pitchers call their own game (not sure about D2). I'm wondering how differences like that would impact the transition?

I'm curious how difficult the transition would be from D3/D2 to large D1? I don't know of any examples off hand, but I'm sure there are some out there. There is some very high quality coach instruction in the lower levels. Recruiting is key too, just at a more regional level. Top D2/3 teams almost always have players that could play at least small D1.

I'm wondering about things like competitor scouting though? It's my impression that successful D1 coaching staffs do an extreme level of scouting, especially for opposing hitters. D1 programs usually have pitching coaches call the pitches with a full scouting report on opposing batters. In contrast, it's still common in D3 to see the catchers/pitchers call their own game (not sure about D2). I'm wondering how differences like that would impact the transition?

Fair question, but again I’d think for the top programs that’s routine. I’ve seen games managed by Tschida & have seen them out scouting opponents. I’m sure his reports are detailed! Was able to watch some of Augies run last year to the D2 title and the coach/assistants were always at games scouting and signaling In pitches. They likely do more real time/on the fly as they might not have all the games on tv as sources? I’m a post season addict so it’s fun to watch the best staffs prepare their teams! Just good softball too!

Last edited:

We all know Allister formed the foundation to make the MN softball program one of the best in the nation. Trachsel lead the team to its first WCWS, which is great for her. But it was mostly with Allister recruits. Also, I was worried with Trachsel's recruiting these past 2 years, way too many transfers and no impact freshmen this year. Plus she would rely on transfers for senior leadership the upcoming years as their too few So and Jr. So she jumped ship.
We need to find a new coach that is well connected (like Allister) and has a history of winning in college regardless of division.

Several posters on the UCS forum are "reporting" that Fiser will transfer.

I'll believe it when I see it...

With that said, it wouldn't totally shock me unfortunately.

If there's one thing I've learned, it's that college softball is fast becoming "transfers-are-us."

Last edited:

Several posters on the UCS forum are "reporting" that Fiser will transfer.

Wow! Now that would be a bummer.

If true, am going to start making some cranky, critical comments on this forum. That would hurt, and it would hurt more than just next year. I feel she is our pitching bridge to 2022.

Wow! Now that would be a bummer.

If true, am going to start making some cranky, critical comments on this forum. That would hurt, and it would hurt more than just next year. I feel she is our pitching bridge to 2022.

sad day if that happens! I really think a good coach could get this team back to WCWS. Work...yes. But it’s there. Hope she stays at least long enough to have a convo with the new coach.

Any word on search? How long is the process etc?

Top Bottom