Gopher Softball 2019

Watching FL vs TN on phone after yard work.
With beer.
Beautiful day.
Gophs in WCWS.
Life is good.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Got an email from gophersports last night indicating that if you want to get on waiting list for season tickets for NEXT year, you can do that now. Folks can check it out if interested. Can't imagine many folks wouldn't renew, though!

https://gophersports.evenue.net/cgi...c8-evcluster1&sDomain=gophersports.evenue.net

Also notes they hope to do a team send off on Tuesday at the Jane Sage Cowles stadium with more info on time to follow.

Watching FL vs TN on phone after yard work.
With beer.
Beautiful day.
Gophs in WCWS.
Life is good.
1356041d28c9d635b9bd4e46f499f9e6.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Looks like a bunch of bushes blocking the driveway across the street along with a full curb. Whats that all about?

Gophers get Ucla (seeded two) Thursday, May 30th at 1:30 p.m. ESPN.

I see Stanford lost 7 of the last 8 games played. Wonder if there is something to that as to coaching etc.?

Seems the players have grown to love her and her style seems to work. Guess you’re bummed out at today’s result- hope you enjoy your melancholy attitude.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am a Gopher fan and I am absolutely stoked that the ladies are going to OKC.

I see Stanford lost 7 of the last 8 games played. Wonder if there is something to that as to coaching etc.?
Might be. Could also be that six of their last nine were against UCLA and Washington. They also dropped two to Boise which is interesting. Could also be the Fiser and/or Piper factor.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

Bracket sets up a likely elimination grudge game for Gophers vs Florida or Alabama on Saturday if they don't beat UCLA and Washington

Bracket sets up a likely elimination grudge game for Gophers vs Florida or Alabama on Saturday if they don't beat UCLA and Washington
I like the beating UCLA plan! [emoji38]

It seems some folks were kinda rooting for Tenn to beat FLA, mainly to 'get back at' Kendyl Lindaman for leaving MN; that's an understandable reaction. Lindaman leaving is sad because she would surely have become a legend of sorts at MN after 4 years. One poster suggested, however, that Hope Brandner might not have come to MN if Lindaman had stayed. Looking back on this season so far (it isn't over yet, of course), I suspect Brandner is a better all-around player than Lindaman. Hope's defensive skills are a match for, or maybe even better than, her hitting, which is pretty great in itself (her line drive double against LSU was real big-league ). Brandner has quick hands in the field and she can save her infielders numerous throwing errors with her glove. She seems a natural at first base. In addition, her presence on the field appears to give a certain mature approach to the team, in my view. Sometimes I have to remind myself she's a sophomore, not a senior.

It seems some folks were kinda rooting for Tenn to beat FLA, mainly to 'get back at' Kendyl Lindaman for leaving MN; that's an understandable reaction. Lindaman leaving is sad because she would surely have become a legend of sorts at MN after 4 years. One poster suggested, however, that Hope Brandner might not have come to MN if Lindaman had stayed. Looking back on this season so far (it isn't over yet, of course), I suspect Brandner is a better all-around player than Lindaman. Hope's defensive skills are a match for, or maybe even better than, her hitting, which is pretty great in itself (her line drive double against LSU was real big-league ). Brandner has quick hands in the field and she can save her infielders numerous throwing errors with her glove. She seems a natural at first base. In addition, her presence on the field appears to give a certain mature approach to the team, in my view. Sometimes I have to remind myself she's a sophomore, not a senior.

I'm won't venture into making comparisons, but yeah, I'm thoroughly impressed with Brander. She has a smart/clutch plate presence. And defensively, her reactions at first base are cat-like. One of the best college first basemen I've seen.

How does this work. Double elimination?

How does this work. Double elimination?

There are two simultaneous double elimination tournaments Thurs-Sunday. The winners of those play a best of three Mon-Wed.

I believe if you win the first two games you get Saturday off :)

assuming ok weather

If the Gophers keep on winning. how many games can Fiser pitch during the tournament? so far shes pitched all innings and is 5-0.

What? Brandner was here in the fall when KL was still on the team. KL transferring had absolutely nothing to do with Brandner playing for the Gophers. If KL had stayed, Emma Burns most likely would have sat the bench this season.

If the Gophers keep on winning. how many games can Fiser pitch during the tournament? so far shes pitched all innings and is 5-0.

Can I hazard the guess no-one knows the answer to that question :p

I think the best answer would be someone who knows history tells us what are examples of the most games/innings pitched by one pitcher in the WCWS.

What? Brandner was here in the fall when KL was still on the team. KL transferring had absolutely nothing to do with Brandner playing for the Gophers. If KL had stayed, Emma Burns most likely would have sat the bench this season.

Thx for the info. That suggestion about Brandner/Lindaman wasn't mine, just something I read on a post somewhere; I found it dubious (which I should have explained, sorry). My main point was that the addition of Brandner's hitting has maybe led some to under-appreciate her defensive talents, which have helped strengthen MN's infield defense considerably, to a skill level surpassing what I've seen here since 2014. My sub-text was that we fans need to accept the 2017 NCAA snub, and Allister and Lindaman's absence and move on to appreciate the present and what's possible down the line. I'm excited about the potential recruit pool the WCWS presence could open up for Trachsel. But it's all just my opinion.

Can I hazard the guess no-one knows the answer to that question :p

I think the best answer would be someone who knows history tells us what are examples of the most games/innings pitched by one pitcher in the WCWS.

Maybe go back and see what Garcia did in past years? She's been the dominant pitcher on that team. I'm too lazy to look though :)

Two double eliminations with the Friday losers switching places https://www.ncaa.com/news/softball/...all-tournament-bracket-schedule-scores-womens

Thursday
Game 1: Wash vs AZ 1100 Thurs
Game 2: MN vs UCLA 1330 Thurs
Game 3: FL vs OKSt 1800 Thurs
Game 4: Alabama vs OK 2030 Thurs

Friday
Game 5: G1 winner vs G2 winner 1800
Game 6: G3 winner vs G4 winner 2030

Saturday eliminations:
Game 7: G1 loser vs G2 loser 1100
Game 8: G3 loser vs G4 loser 1330
Game 9: G6 loser vs G7 winner 1800
Game 10: G5 loser vs G8 winner 2030

Sunday:
Game 11: G5 winner vs G9 winner 1200
Game 12: G6 winner vs G10 winner 1430

Game 11's if: 1800
Game 12's if: 2030, or 1800 if G11 doesn't need an if

Last edited:

Still no softball odds up on any of the 3 main sites. Gonna venture a guess

Oklahoma +175
UCLA +250
Florida +400
Washington +800
Minnesota +1400
Arizona +1600
Alabama +2500
Oklahoma State +6600

Thx for the info. That suggestion about Brandner/Lindaman wasn't mine, just something I read on a post somewhere; I found it dubious (which I should have explained, sorry). My main point was that the addition of Brandner's hitting has maybe led some to under-appreciate her defensive talents, which have helped strengthen MN's infield defense considerably, to a skill level surpassing what I've seen here since 2014. My sub-text was that we fans need to accept the 2017 NCAA snub, and Allister and Lindaman's absence and move on to appreciate the present and what's possible down the line. I'm excited about the potential recruit pool the WCWS presence could open up for Trachsel. But it's all just my opinion.

Brandner was a HUGE get for Jamie. She basically replaced Lindaman's numbers. When you add in the fact that Jensen was hurt the whole season, the future looks bright. Sure, Lindaman's numbers would have been a great addition to the line-up. I think immediate help from making it to OKC will be the quality of transfer(s) we could get. Our roster is down two so there is room there. With Fiser back and most of the starters returning, it would be possible to land a really good pitcher and a big bat who want a chance to play for a contender. Not sure where Jamie is on $$$ but she has at least 1 more full scholly to give with the Lindaman transfer. I am guessing the next recruiting class is mostly set at this point, but who knows who might come knocking. I think that for the next class (2021) this trip to OKC could be a large positive.

Maybe go back and see what Garcia did in past years? She's been the dominant pitcher on that team. I'm too lazy to look though :)

It is an interesting example:

Last year Rachel Garcia for UCLA

1st game-146 pitches, 7-4 w over FLA State
2nd game- 127 pitches, 6-5 w over FLA

off SAT

SUN
3rd game-111 pitches, 3-1 loss to FLA State

4th game-against FLA State to move on
Garcia pitches 1st inning no runs
2nd inning moved to DP-new pitcher comes in and gives up homer and double
Garcia brought back in w/one out in 2nd
next batter reaches on error
next batter homers-it's now 4-0 FLA State, Garcia charged with 2 runs, one earned
she is moved back to DP-3rd pitcher comes in for UCLA gets out of the inning and UCLA scores 2 to make it 4-2

But that 3rd pitcher gives up 8 more runs

Garcia comes back to pitch the final two innings-final is FLA State 12- UCLA 4

FLA State beats WASH on Monday and Tuesday to win National Championship

It is an interesting example:

Last year Rachel Garcia for UCLA

1st game-146 pitches, 7-4 w over FLA State
2nd game- 127 pitches, 6-5 w over FLA

off SAT

SUN
3rd game-111 pitches, 3-1 loss to FLA State

4th game-against FLA State to move on
Garcia pitches 1st inning no runs
2nd inning moved to DP-new pitcher comes in and gives up homer and double
Garcia brought back in w/one out in 2nd
next batter reaches on error
next batter homers-it's now 4-0 FLA State, Garcia charged with 2 runs, one earned
she is moved back to DP-3rd pitcher comes in for UCLA gets out of the inning and UCLA scores 2 to make it 4-2

But that 3rd pitcher gives up 8 more runs

Garcia comes back to pitch the final two innings-final is FLA State 12- UCLA 4

FLA State beats WASH on Monday and Tuesday to win National Championship

Awesome info. Moral to the story: Dance with the one that brung ya (mostly).

Updated news on the Tuesday sendoff:

It will take place in the Athletes Village lobby. Autographs will start at 10:45 a.m. and run to 11:10 a.m. and the team will leave at 11:30 a.m

Last edited:

One thing I'm really interested in seeing is how the ladies respond to finally being in OKC.

Those of us who have followed the program closely over the past several years have known getting to the WCWS was the goal all along. With that now having been achieved, I would expect that they'll be pretty loose once they take the field.

Nobody expects them to do much down there. In fact, I think the most pressure is obviously on Oklahoma for a number of reasons.

Anyway, I tend to agree with earlier sentiments.

Throw Amber both games and then roll with the punches. I'm just really excited to see them out there representing the U and the Big 10 in general.

Regardless, this has been an awesome year for Gopher softball!

UCLA actually a good matchup to have first, would be huge upset for national attention to beat them, but as long as it's competitive and isn't a run rule then won't be held against the team. Need a good enough showing regardless to make sure to lock down the top talent in the MN/WI/IA/ND/SD region as the best local option to make WCWS

Top Bottom