Gopher Show on KFAN

Holy sh!t you are clueless. Your reasoning behind the POV you are taking is so flawed I'm just feeling bad for you while reading through your posts. Clearly Gaard collects his paycheck from KFAN. But your point that he should be able to openly pimp his favorite team, who happens to be the U's rival, and it should be OK because he does a "good job" is just so fuc&ing stupid. Again, if this was any school but the U, who has a pathetic fanbase and administration, Gaard would be relieved of his duties. Plain and simple; and if you think otherwise I will just call you a dumb @ss in advance. The fact that we think this is OK just explains why MN is not good at football and probably doesn't have a chance to ever be good.

Really, clueless? If you feel otherwise you're a dumb as*? That's a wee bit harsh, wouldn't you say.

Holy sh!t you are clueless. Your reasoning behind the POV you are taking is so flawed I'm just feeling bad for you while reading through your posts. Clearly Gaard collects his paycheck from KFAN. But your point that he should be able to openly pimp his favorite team, who happens to be the U's rival, and it should be OK because he does a "good job" is just so fuc&ing stupid. Again, if this was any school but the U, who has a pathetic fanbase and administration, Gaard would be relieved of his duties. Plain and simple; and if you think otherwise I will just call you a dumb @ss in advance. The fact that we think this is OK just explains why MN is not good at football and probably doesn't have a chance to ever be good.
iLuGF.gif

Sorry Sonny, but I disagree with you. What he wears when he is not doing a Gopher event is his own business. Do I think it is smart? No, for obvious reasons. But do I get upset at him and offended by the fact that he did it? Hell no. He has every right to wear what he wants within his company's dress code. His company dress code changes when he slides over and works for Learfield. And I am willing to bet that he holds true to that dress code.

And just because the majority of people allow him to wear what he wants outside of his Gopher gigs, doesnt mean the Gophers program will suffer. That is just ignorant.

The numerous responses on this thread indicating "it's no big deal" or "get over yourself" are exactly the reason why the Gophers and their fanbase will never be taken seriously as a legitimate major college football program. This should piss you off. This should make you upset that someone who is paid to care about the Gophers doesn't care about them 1/10 as much as you do, despite the fact that (most of) you are actually the ones paying to care about the Gophers. Do you think a radio host on Iowa's flagship would be allowed to wear a Gophers jacket into the studio? Let alone while he is previewing the Hogeye game that Saturday? Not a chance in hell. He would get pulled into the boss's office the first time and given a stern warning, and the second time he would be out on his ass. You are fooling yourself if you think otherwise. Likewise, if PA showed up wearing a Packers jacket, he would suffer the same punishment. I have greatly enjoyed KFAN's coverage (gameday and otherwise), but the reason that this is allowed to happen is because this is a Vikings town, and the Gophers aren't taken seriously and get second-rate treatment. I certainly expected that to change with the move to become the Gophers' flagship, but apparently I was asking too much in expecting a modicum of professionalism.

I'm glad someone brought up the "Get to Know a Gopher" video series. I'm sure you'd have no problem if Gaard sat there, wearing a Hawkeye polo, in a University-produced video, while interviewing a Gopher player, right? No big deal at all, huh?

I also love the "what he does on his own time is his own business" routine. Oh, really? So how did it affect Mike Haywood's job performance when he was arrested for felony assault? He was "on his own time", right? So why did he get fired? Granted, this obviously doesn't enter the legal realm and is not even in the same universe in level of seriousness, but to throw a blanket on it and throw out the "as long as he's not on the clock, he can do whatever he wants" excuse is BS. How do you think it would go over if Alan Mulally (Ford CEO) pulled up to a charity golf outing driving a Camaro? No big deal, right? I'm sure the board at Ford would think that was a real knee-slapper. How about if Muhtar Kent (Coca-Cola CEO) sat in front of an economic panel drinking a Mt. Dew? "A laugh riot," the execs at Coke would say.

He is paid to cover the Gophers, and should take it seriously. There are two possible reasons he pulls sh*t like this:

1. He doesn't think it's a big deal, and he should be allowed to do whatever he wants when he's not "on the clock" for Minnesota.

2. He knows exactly what he's doing, and he thinks it's funny to needle Gopher fans by wearing their hated rival's gear. Here's a hint: it isn't. It's childish and stupid. What are you, 12?

I guarantee Chad Abbott knows about it, and I also guarantee he hasn't said a word to Gaard about knocking it off. That St. Thomas-stroking choad probably think's it's f*cking hilarious that Gaard is ribbing those stupid "Goofers" fans.

+1

Anyone remember this story?:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5469343

ESPN.com news services

FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. -- An Arkansas radio personality announced that she was fired Monday, two days after wearing a Florida Gators hat to an Arkansas Hogs news conference.

Renee Gork announced on Twitter that she had been fired by KAKS, a northwest Arkansas radio station that calls itself Hog Sports Radio. Gork had worn a Gator hat Saturday to a news conference with Arkansas Razorbacks football coach Bobby Petrino.

Petrino, whose team lost to the Gators last season 23-20 at Florida, commented on Gork's hat after answering a question she asked. "And that will be the last question I answer with that hat on," Petrino said.

Gork, a Florida graduate, said she grabbed the hat without thinking Saturday because it was raining outside. She also said she sent a letter of apology to the university and Petrino.

"Was hoping to publicly apologize to coach Petrino and UA fans on the show today ... but I won't get that chance," Gork wrote on KAKS' Twitter account. "I've been fired."

Gork could not be reached Monday for comment. There was no telephone listing in her name in the Fayetteville area.

KAKS general manager Dan Storrs confirmed in a telephone interview with The Associated Press that Gork was no longer working for the station but declined to comment further, saying it was a personnel matter.

However, he added, "This radio station is Hog Sports Radio. We are very biased. We support the Razorbacks 100 percent."

Arkansas released a statement on Tuesday saying they have no connection to The Hog Sports Radio and has no direct or indirect control over the station's management or personnel decisions.

"University of Arkansas athletic department personnel did communicate to the reporter that her attendance at Monday's practice was not recommended to allow additional time to pass," the school said in the statement. "The University wishes to be very clear that it did not request any employment action with regard to the reporter."

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Arkansas gets it, Minnesota, well we are where we are for a reason and being OK with sh!t like that is just another by-product of why.

Arkansas gets it, Minnesota, well we are where we are for a reason and being OK with sh!t like that is just another by-product of why.
For the love of...there are many reasons why Minnesota sports aren't all they can be. Not freaking out over something like this is NOT one of them. Pretend this never happened or assume that JG gets fired. Explain to me how that will get the Gophers to a Rose Bowl, get a BBall practice facility built, improve attendance, improve game-day atmosphere, etc.

I too think it was a stupid thing that he did. I also wish the Gophers didn't have to deal with petty stuff like this in their own hometown media (and in this case, their media partner). But this is not the end of the world or a cause of why Gophers sports struggle. It is certainly a by-product of their struggles, but not a cause or even close to a major contributing factor.

I fear for the sanity of our fanbase sometimes.

Two completely different situations in my opinion.

"This radio station is KFAN, home of Golden Gopher Football. We are very biased. We support the Gophers 100 percent."

Ha, can you imagine? The thought of KFAN saying that, or anything approximating it, literally makes me LOL.

For the record, I don't think Gaard should be fired. To the contrary, he does a good job, when he's talking. But actions speak louder than words. He should be reprimanded and told that acting childishly is unacceptable. I would be willing to wager a paycheck that he gets no blowback whatsoever from his superiors. In fact, he'll probably get a raise for keeping the Goofers in their place.

Ah yes, the Arkansas model. Let's start drafting up some anti-miscegenation laws stat.

For the love of...there are many reasons why Minnesota sports aren't all they can be. Not freaking out over something like this is NOT one of them.

Obviously, did I say it was the reason? I said it was a by-product of the larger reason. Our fanbase is brutal because the administration has driven this program into the ground over the last 40 years. Our fanbase being what it is and being OK with our sidelines/radio show guy pimpin the Hawkeyes is just a by-product of what the Adm has done to everything surrounding the program.

how that will get the Gophers to a Rose Bowl

Not being good enough to make a Rose Bowl in the last 40 years is also a by-product of the larger reason

get a BBall practice facility built

Also a by-product of a larger reason

improve game-day atmosphere

Also a by-product of a larger reason

After reading your response I think we actually agree in every sense. You just had a loud reaction to my post, then in the second paragraph basically agree with the whole point of what I wrote.

Not being good enough to make a Rose Bowl in the last 40 years is also a by-product of the larger reason
A string of awful coaches, athletic department mismanagement and a series of administrations largely unconcerned with football?

No, it's probably failing to get dudes fired for wearing the wrong coat.

Bielema's Hawkeye tattoo has destroyed Wisconsin football...so its not all bad.

Has he shown it publicly once since he started work at Wisconsin? Gaard is clearly more stupid/and or an irritant than Bielema which is pretty sad.

A string of awful coaches, athletic department mismanagement and a series of administrations largely unconcerned with football?

No, it's probably failing to get dudes fired for wearing the wrong coat.

Again, did I say it was THE reason? No, I said it's the by-product of a larger reason, which you pointed out above as an ath. dept that is unconcerned with football, but hey, you'd rather agitate than actually comprehend something. I'm just surprised you haven't pulled the race card during this whole thread, awfully impressive of you.....

Again, did I say it was THE reason? No, I said it's the by-product of a larger reason, which you pointed out above as an ath. dept that is unconcerned with football, but hey, you'd rather agitate than actually comprehend something. I'm just surprised you haven't pulled the race card during this whole thread, awfully impressive of you.....

"anti-miscegenation laws"

There was that.

+1

Anyone remember this story?:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5469343

ESPN.com news services

FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. -- An Arkansas radio personality announced that she was fired Monday, two days after wearing a Florida Gators hat to an Arkansas Hogs news conference.

Renee Gork announced on Twitter that she had been fired by KAKS, a northwest Arkansas radio station that calls itself Hog Sports Radio. Gork had worn a Gator hat Saturday to a news conference with Arkansas Razorbacks football coach Bobby Petrino.

Petrino, whose team lost to the Gators last season 23-20 at Florida, commented on Gork's hat after answering a question she asked. "And that will be the last question I answer with that hat on," Petrino said.

Gork, a Florida graduate, said she grabbed the hat without thinking Saturday because it was raining outside. She also said she sent a letter of apology to the university and Petrino.

"Was hoping to publicly apologize to coach Petrino and UA fans on the show today ... but I won't get that chance," Gork wrote on KAKS' Twitter account. "I've been fired."

Gork could not be reached Monday for comment. There was no telephone listing in her name in the Fayetteville area.

KAKS general manager Dan Storrs confirmed in a telephone interview with The Associated Press that Gork was no longer working for the station but declined to comment further, saying it was a personnel matter.

However, he added, "This radio station is Hog Sports Radio. We are very biased. We support the Razorbacks 100 percent."

Arkansas released a statement on Tuesday saying they have no connection to The Hog Sports Radio and has no direct or indirect control over the station's management or personnel decisions.

"University of Arkansas athletic department personnel did communicate to the reporter that her attendance at Monday's practice was not recommended to allow additional time to pass," the school said in the statement. "The University wishes to be very clear that it did not request any employment action with regard to the reporter."

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

This isnt the same line of work, but I'm sure many of you remember this from last year's NFL Playoffs when a car salesman was fired for wearing a GB tie in Illinois....

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/packers-fan-fired-for-wearing-team-tie-to-chicago-office/

past history

I have been absolutely thrilled with KFAN's coverage of the Gophers this year. We get more coverage and ANALYSIS in one hour this year than we received all last year. I have been very impressed with Justin Gaards interviews, analysis, and work on the sidelines. It is 1000% better than anything on WCCO. JG can connect with a much bigger demographic than a 90 year old and Dave Lee.

That being said, I still remember the mocking, smug, condescending jokes he made at the Gophers expense the past few years. We were nothing but a bit to him. Every comment was negative and often not based in fact. This is a guy who thoroughly enjoyed going to an NDSU-USD game and calling it the Battle of the Brewster beaters.

He has every right to brag about wearing an Iowa sweatshirt while doing the Gopher show. It is just really stupid and not very respectful of your topic and your audience. Not very professional at all. I don't know another market that would tolerate it either. His job is to get ratings. He thought it would be funny, and I'm sure that his friends are having a good laugh. But he made a portion of his target audience want to turn the station. Not smart.

The difference between Gaard and those guys is that the other two don't cover the Packers or Lions. Should Gaard be fired? Of course not, but it's understandable for some fans to not like it. QUOTE]

Huh? It is exactly the same thing. Those guys work for the station that covers their rival. Do Vikings fans have an outrage because Common wore a Lions shirt? Pretty sure he covers the Vikings on every frickin show. Yet you never hear Vikings fans b!tch about it. How is that different?

You do realize that Gaard is a sideline reporter for the Gophers radio broadcast, don't you? Those guys work for stations that cover the Vikings but are not involved with the actual radio broadcast. Gaard is involved with the broadcast. It's not even close to being the same thing.

Either way, whether you think it's a big deal or not, it's still an arrogant and stupid thing to do in my opinion.

He has every right to brag about wearing an Iowa sweatshirt while doing the Gopher show.

Sweet Jesus....now it's "bragging about wearing an Iowa sweatshirt".

After a full segment with Darrell Thompson, the dude was talking about his favorite sporting goods store. There was one in St. Cloud and they'd stop on the way up to buy a NDSU shirt when he'd go up north to watch a Bison basketball game. And then talked about when he'd go to Iowa games with his family how they'd stop and pick up an Iowa jacket, "like the one I have on now".

That was it. The next sentence was uttered and it had nothing to do with Iowa. The next segment came and went and it had nothing to do with Iowa.

Woof sonny, you mad?

Has he shown it publicly once since he started work at Wisconsin? Gaard is clearly more stupid/and or an irritant than Bielema which is pretty sad.

1) Yes, every time Bielema wears a pair of shorts, he shows the Hawkeye tatoo publicly. It is on his leg and it is big. I've personally seen it.

2) Bielema openly talks about the tattoo. Says that Iowa was a big part of his life and he won't turn his back on that part of his life. Bielema says he wants Iowa to win every week the Badgers don't play them. You know how many Badger fans are up in arms over this? Not many.

3) Gaard wasn't out in public or on the Gopher sideline wearing a Hawkeye coat. He was in his private workplace. Make a passing reference about it.

I do understand why some would be bothered by this, but can't understand the over-the-top hatred and outrage. Do you think it is possible for Gaard to have a stake in both programs? He attended Iowa. He attended Minnesota. Is it possible that he wants both programs to do well? They aren't mutually exclusive. Him wearing a Hawkeye jacket has not impacted negatively his ability to do the sideline job, his excellent Gopher blogging work, etc.

Woof sonny, you mad?

Not at all little guy. Hey, who's out to get you today? Someone's gotta be, right? You should go back to the NDSU thread and make more racial comments about the largely white population of Fargo........ then you should come back in this thread and whine more about racial inequality............ bigot

You just had a loud reaction to my post, then in the second paragraph basically agree with the whole point of what I wrote.
In retrospect, yes. I am not as bothered by this to be sure (not because I don't care but b/c I just can't get worked up over something so trivial when there are more important issues with Gopher sports to give an eff about) but you're correct that I misread what you were saying. :)

I'm not an expert, I'm just a student, but it sure seems like there are people here who are very irrational about KFAN. To the point where it seems like they must work at another station or have friends that do.

KFAN is doing a fantastic job covering the Gophers. They have players and coaches and broadcasters on all the time. I listen to 1500 and 830 and you can add all their Gopher talk up and it isn't half of what 100.3's is. And when 1500 does they are 100% negative. They have hatred for the team, it's obvious. 830 is negative now too. Maybe those stations are so negative because they DON'T have the games.

Some of you people are just pathetic, and it seems like the station is making fun of YOU. Like their phony Green Bay fan. I don't know if Justin Gaard was wearing a Iowa shirt or not. I don't even care. But I did think it is pretty funny looking at the reaction here. You're nuts, unless you're a competitor to the station, and you're grasping at straws.

I bleed Gold and Maroon. And I'm wearing a Notre Dame shirt as I type this.

I'm not an expert, I'm just a student, but it sure seems like there are people here who are very irrational about KFAN. To the point where it seems like they must work at another station or have friends that do.

KFAN is doing a fantastic job covering the Gophers. They have players and coaches and broadcasters on all the time. I listen to 1500 and 830 and you can add all their Gopher talk up and it isn't half of what 100.3's is. And when 1500 does they are 100% negative. They have hatred for the team, it's obvious. 830 is negative now too. Maybe those stations are so negative because they DON'T have the games.

Some of you people are just pathetic, and it seems like the station is making fun of YOU. Like their phony Green Bay fan. I don't know if Justin Gaard was wearing a Iowa shirt or not. I don't even care. But I did think it is pretty funny looking at the reaction here. You're nuts, unless you're a competitor to the station, and you're grasping at straws.

I bleed Gold and Maroon. And I'm wearing a Notre Dame shirt as I type this.

+1 for the post.

-1 for the Notre Dame shirt.

Whenever I listen to the radio, which is almost always on the way to and from work, it is on KFAN 99.9% of the time.

I have already, and will continue to, give KFAN kudos for their excellent coverage of the Gophers both gameday and otherwise. I would hope they would comport themselves with more professionalism than that.

I work for the University of Minnesota, in the Medical School, and personally know absolutely no one whose profession has anything to do with KFAN or any of its competitors.

I also love random rubes who compare themselves to a highly-visible public personality who is on a major-market radio station 6-7 days a week and is paid to represent the University of Minnesota. Seriously guys, no one gives a sh*t about your UCLA/Tulane/Notre Dame clothes that you're wearing in your dorm room.

Please pay attention, and try to come to the table with something not-so-weak.

I also love random rubes who compare themselves to a highly-visible public personality who is on a major-market radio station 6-7 days a week and is paid to represent the University of Minnesota. Seriously guys, no one gives a sh*t about your UCLA/Tulane/Notre Dame clothes that you're wearing in your dorm room.

Try to keep up. He was mocking you.

Not at all little guy. Hey, who's out to get you today? Someone's gotta be, right? You should go back to the NDSU thread and make more racial comments about the largely white population of Fargo........ then you should come back in this thread and whine more about racial inequality............ bigot
You are just adorable.

Sweet Jesus....now it's "bragging about wearing an Iowa sweatshirt".

After a full segment with Darrell Thompson, the dude was talking about his favorite sporting goods store. There was one in St. Cloud and they'd stop on the way up to buy a NDSU shirt when he'd go up north to watch a Bison basketball game. And then talked about when he'd go to Iowa games with his family how they'd stop and pick up an Iowa jacket, "like the one I have on now".

That was it. The next sentence was uttered and it had nothing to do with Iowa. The next segment came and went and it had nothing to do with Iowa.

Shhh.....don't try and reason with Gopher fans who feel they have been wronged and that someone took a leak in their cheerios right before they took a big bite. Its Minnesota tradition to take something as small and trivial as this and blow it up to EPIC proportions.

I seriously wonder if something actually serious did happen to our team who might stroke out reading the message board before they could come back with a long winded retort.....

Top Bottom